Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

charter VS FiOS to OVH, Online.net, Hetzner
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

charter VS FiOS to OVH, Online.net, Hetzner

edited October 2015 in General

Sooooo
the fact Charter has a 10G connection to the OVH network really matters.

I have found that in nearly all cases charter was faster than even my 150/150 FiOS connection even on upload and i have 60/4 on charter to 3 major international Providers. (yes i know there are more but I only have servers at 3)

From OVH(SoYouStart, Kimsufi)

FiOS Day Run

run 1 = 756 KBps/AVG
run 2 = 853 KBps/AVG
run 3 = 562 KBps/AVG

FiOS Night Run

Run 1 = 752 KBps/AVG
Run 2 = 980 KBps/AVG
Run 3 = 801 KBps/AVG

Charter Day Run

Run 1 = MAX
Run 2 = MAX
Run 3 = MAX

Charter Night Run

Run 1 = MAX
Run 2 = MAX
Run 3 = MAX

From Online.net

FiOS Day Run

run 1 = 342 KBps/AVG
run 2 = 528 KBps/AVG
run 3 = 388 KBps/AVG

FiOS Night Run

Run 1 = 651 KBps/AVG
Run 2 = 698 KBps/AVG
Run 3 = 510 KBps/AVG

Charter Day Run

Run 1 = MAX
Run 2 = MAX
Run 3 = MAX

Charter Night Run

Run 1 = MAX
Run 2 = MAX
Run 3 = MAX

From Hetzner

FiOS Day Run

run 1 = 792 KBps/AVG
run 2 = 812 KBps/AVG
run 3 = 416 KBps/AVG

FiOS Night Run

Run 1 = 652 KBps/AVG
Run 2 = 724 KBps/AVG
Run 3 = 801 KBps/AVG

Charter Day Run

Run 1 = MAX
Run 2 = 7.1 MBps/AVG
Run 3 = MAX

Charter Night Run

Run 1 = MAX
Run 2 = MAX
Run 3 = MAX

All tests were Run on 3 different days.
Tuesday, thursday and saturday

1 on each day and night

So I have both Charter and FiOS (got to have 2 for redundancy-Work from home so yea)
FiOS pretty much beats anything out in the US for what I have around here. But as soon as i go international Charter easily beats FiOS out...

The above results was be having fun one night when I couldn't even get a MBps from one of my servers on FiOS so I wanted to compare my 2 connections. I used the same exact device and the same exact NIC and same exact router and cable.
Router and modem(ont for FiOS) was powered down before the test to let sit for 5 minutes then the devices sat for 10 minutes on and idling. I tested each device by downloading the same test File I put on the network and then downloaded by sftp limited to just 1 connection. I waited 10 more minutes after each download and then downloaded while having a Average for the download.

when it says MAX it stayed at the max connection speed or above the connection speed with FLUFF in the line.

I can only assume where FiOS connects to the international lines it is congested(they will deny this to no end).

Charter has a 10G link directly into OVH's network in the US which leads to their entire network. This explains why i get great speeds to OVH with charter.

I am unsure if online and hetzner have a direct link with charter or whatever they use(carrier mix?) but it is obviously NOT congested

Anyways Still not going to give up FiOS. FiOS works for 90% of my needs in my house for work and personal use as it is all inside the US. Gaming(steam, battle.net, EA, others), general internet use and downloading from US servers.

It is easy for me to just flip the switch to turn off failover and turn on load balancer with 100% charter usage. So that is easy for me.

Anyone else experience the same thing as me?

Any comments?

Comments

• MunMun Member

Charter is a better company with less bull shit peering policies from what I have seen and experienced.

• edited October 2015

@Mun said:
    Charter is a better company with less bull shit peering policies from what I have seen and experienced.

They don't even enforce caps and got rid of them. IF they offered atleast 100mbit down and like 10-20 mbit up The would be my primary and i would only have FiOS at 25/25 or 50/50 as a backup.

Waiting for charter to give better speeds. My area already has 16 channels down but only 1 up. So we should be able to get the 100 download tier..

but online, chat and phone reps cant pull it up or dont even know it exists..... So theres that...

• MunMun Member

Sometimes they are known to do that if they already have saturation issues and instead will wait until they have me room to bump .

• @Mun said:
    Sometimes they are known to do that if they already have saturation issues and instead will wait until they have me room to bump .

maybe be lol

On a side note. the Charter CO is like down the road. My power levels are at 10 DBmv lol SNR is over 40 as well lol.

IF they let me have the better speeds i know i wouldn't have an issue getting it.

They may have saturation issues indeed. When i had FiOS installed a week ago the installed took a look at the terminal and only saw 9 people out of 32 connected XD

Will have to wait but with the buy over of TWC idk how that will go...TWC also has a CO in the area so im wondering if things might work in my favor.

• edited October 2015

So

chi-1-6k.il.us

is getting 60-80%/AVG packet loss...... WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

that is going to my server with OVH.

Coming from OVH to me it gets handed to TELIA very very early and telia to my CO then to me.

Correct me If I am wrong but wouldnt my download speeds be hampered if the server isnt recieving a recieved for each packet and being forced to resend the packet again until it gets a recieved?

If so that would explain my crappy downloads on my FiOS..
    Charter doesnt have this issue