Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OpenVZ container CPU Freq
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OpenVZ container CPU Freq

Hi guys,

I have a old dev dedi with OpenVZ to have several dev VPSs. I used to use OpenVZ Web Panel for the VPSs before to easily manage them. Switched to Virtualizor 5 VPS master. And now the container frequency just stays below the hostnode CPU frequency.

Hostnode CPU frequency:

model name      : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     E4500  @ 2.20GHz
cpu MHz         : 2194.422
cpu MHz         : 2194.422

VPS CPU frequency:

cpu MHz         : 1097.211
cpu MHz         : 1097.211

(2 cores assigned @ 100%, 1000 CPU Units)

I also tried 2 cores at 50% with 5000 CPU units, 2 cores at 100% with 5000 CPU units but the CPU speed was still 1.1 GHz and once even lower (< 600 MHz).

I don't have cpuspeed or similar running. All cores are running at performance mode and no kondemand threads are running. I don't even have the CPU scaling kernel modules loaded.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Oh well, see this as solved. Turns out Virtualizor added some weird lines into the .conf file of the container that somehow messed up the configuration and for whatever reason put the CPU clock down. I edited the .conf manually, removed the lines and rebooted the container. Now the container CPU clock equals the hostnode CPU clock at the same settings as before.

Hmm. Darn it Virtualizor.

• Check CPU percentage, you need to reboot the container to see a change I think.

Thanked by 1teknolaiz
  • I already solved the issue. Virtualizor inserted two weird lines into the .conf file of the container. These, whyever, caused the container to have a lower CPU clock than the hostnode at no matter what setting. I removed them and rebooted the container and it now has the same clock as the hostnode.

• 100% with 2 cores means VPS will be able to use 50% of each core that is why the frequency showed 1.1 GHz, similarly 2 cores @ 50% means the VPS would be able to use maximum 25 % of each core hence when you did that the CPU frequency dropped to 600 MHz.

So when you set a VPS to use 100% it means it will be able to use 100/number of cores. If you want a VPS with 2 cores to be able to use them to the full set CPU percentage to 200, 400 for 4 cores, 800 for 8 cores and so on.

This has also been explained in Virtualizor wiki http://www.virtualizor.com/wiki/Creating_A_VPS

Thanked by 1teknolaiz
  • ... or you can just insert a "0" value in there and there will be no restriction at all ;)

Thanked by 1teknolaiz
  • teknolaizteknolaiz Member
    edited October 2015

Ok. Keep on ignoring my solved replies.... I still have 2 cores at 100% with 1000 CPU Units and the clock is 2.2 GHz.

Virtualizor just messed up the config with entries that were unsupported by the system locale. After cleaning these the initial issue was fixed. Settings still the same and same CPU clock as the hostnode now.

Where the hell did the flag button go?

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@Hidden_Refuge said:
    Ok. Keep on ignoring my solved replies.... I still have 2 cores at 100% with 1000 CPU Units and the clock is 2.2 GHz.

Virtualizor just messed up the config with entries that were unsupported by the system locale. After cleaning these the initial issue was fixed. Settings still the same and same CPU clock as the hostnode now.

Where the hell did the flag button go?

It is there. What config did virtualizor fucked up? care to share?

Thanked by 1teknolaiz
  • teknolaizteknolaiz Member
    edited October 2015

Well, it has inserted two weird looking lines with non ascii characters. The stuff you see when you write "üöä" with en_US locales. It basically looked like white bars (color depends on font color of course).

I noticed when I rebooted the container with vzctl. Unfortunately I removed the two lines without a backup. Will try and see if they appear in a fresh VPS.

EDIT: Sorry netomx. I created a fresh VPS through Virtualizor but this time everything was fine with the configuration. No troublesome code. Interesting. But the code really look like something similar to "A▒▒". Both lines started with a ASCII sign but after that these ▒ blocks followed.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @netomx said:
    care to share?

Sorry netomx. I created a fresh VPS through Virtualizor but this time everything was fine with the configuration. No troublesome code. Interesting. But the code really look like something similar to "A▒▒". Both lines started with a ASCII sign but after that these ▒ blocks followed.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • FuslFusl Member
    edited October 2015

@linuxthefish said:
    Check CPU percentage, you need to reboot the container to see a change I think.

OpenVZ NEVER requires a reboot for resource changes (neither up- nor downgrades of resources).

Hidden_Refuge said: (2 cores assigned @ 100%, 1000 CPU Units)

You need to specify 200%. 100% is similar to 1 core, no matter how much CPU cores there are available. 200% is 2 cores, 800% is 8 cores and so on.

Thanked by 2netomx teknolaiz
  • Thanks for all your input guys. It's solved. I still couldn't figure out what the weird non ASCII lins were doing there but they didn't appear again.

Can a moderator close this? I flagged this already yesterday but nothing happened.

• Hidden_Refuge said: Can a moderator close this? I flagged this already yesterday but nothing happened.

@mpkossen

• @mikho can you close this?

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Didn't see the flagged post yesterday and todays flagged posts are not done yet. Anywho, Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.