Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A bit of help needed
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

A bit of help needed

tawhid111tawhid111 Member
edited October 2015 in Requests

Hey everyone ,
I am looking for a hosting company for my next project,as much as i want a dedicated server it is expensive ,and i don't want to start the project off with a dedicated server as i don't know how much traffic and storage i will need as of yet.So what i need help with is a good VPS with a lot of traffic and a decent storage space maybe 70 GB to start with . But i want to keep the option to be able to move things to a dedicated server if it becomes necessary without changing company in the long RUN yet affordable pricing

vps/dedicated server preferable in Canada..

as moving hude amount of data from one server to another can become a pain in the neck...

Any suggestions ?

Comments

• matthewvzmatthewvz Member, Host Rep

OVH/Kimsufi/SYS?

Thanked by 1tawhid111
  • Do you have a budget in mind?

Thanked by 1tawhid111
  • Canada = OVH if you want LEB prices, or hop onto a OVH reseller.

Thanked by 1tawhid111
  • boltvm

Thanked by 2tawhid111 Steven_F
  • tawhid111tawhid111 Member
    edited October 2015

im trying to start off with a lower budget and grow as it expand... want stick to a reliable company in term of budget would stick to 200$ yearly i think that is a good budget to start off ..and unless i see a huge traffic than i can expand.

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

@tawhid111 I can probably do this for you in New York or Atlanta.

PM me the details and we can work something out.

Thanked by 1tawhid111
  • WHTWHT Member
    edited October 2015

Master reseller hosting will be the best option for a start-up business. You can get one from misterhost.net (see my aff on my sig) but in france or check for some other offers in canada.

Thanked by 1tawhid111
  • Thanks for the suggestion WHT

Thanked by 1WHT
  • VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider

tawhid111 said: im trying to start off with a lower budget and grow as it expand... want stick to a reliable company in term of budget would stick to 200$ yearly i think that is a good budget to start off ..and unless i see a huge traffic than i can expand.

Go with a smaller company that can provide you a more personalized experience and help you out with what you need as you go.

I would not recommend OVH. They're an extremely large company and can in no way give you further discounts, make policy exceptions, help you grow. Plus OVH themselves already offers cheap services and you're just going to be another provider in the same locations. They do not have servers in as many locations as other providers so to expand you'd have to end up switching or using multiple companies. If you run into problems with them, you're 100% on your own. You do not really get bulk discounts. IPs are expensive to start off with OVH. Most servers also have setup fees or price increase.

Finally, I would recommend starting off with a "virtual dedicated" or large VPS with a lot of resources if you want to go the VPS route.

I would absolutely recommend just starting with a dedicated server. The hassle of moving stuff over and changing from a VPS is not worth the small amount of money you'll save at the start. If you're going to start offering hosting, do it right from the beginning. Lose money for a few months and you can either say it didn't work and properly close down or it will work and you'll be so much ahead with the infrastructure you've set up from the beginning.

I can tell you that for the first several months I started my company, I constantly lost money, but it was worth it.

Thanked by 1tawhid111
  • virMach im not going to be doing hosting..but concept is the same there will be alot of user data ..so a big stoage could fill up quickly depending on the users. but this is indeed a good idea " virtual dedicated" haven't seen anything like that around...any affordabke dedicated server ?

• IgniteServersIgniteServers Member
    edited October 2015

Might be good to start off with a managed VDS or managed Dedi, usually no one offers VDS's but I'm sure you if you contacted a host they might be able to set you up with one.

• @tawhid111 said:
    virMach im not going to be doing hosting..but concept is the same there will be alot of user data ..so a big stoage could fill up quickly depending on the users. but this is indeed a good idea " virtual dedicated" haven't seen anything like that around...any affordabke dedicated server ?

It's a bit hard to estimate what you'll need without any idea what your project is, which is fine but still makes it harder for anyone to give you recommendation.

If you think the project might warrant a Dedicated server at some point and aren't to set on a location then Delimiter and Dacentec both have some $20/mth ($200 when paid annually) servers. Both also offer VPS's should you not feel like jumping straight into a dedicated server.

Thanked by 1tawhid111
  • tawhid111tawhid111 Member
    edited October 2015

Umcookies ..the pricing i see for dedicated server will cost me an arm and a leg ...which i don't want to sacrifice at the moment ..and most didicated server hosting seems very expensive what i think is reasonable resource is a lot of bandwith and storage min 100 GB to start with.so looking to host small and grow as needed thats what i want to do.

• century1stopcentury1stop Member
    edited October 2015

@tawhid111 you can check out https://hostedbilling.net, semi-dedicated E5, location Canada

Thanked by 1tawhid111
  • perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2015

We have this plan:

• 1024 MB RAM
    • 70 GB disk on Ceph cluster
    • 2 virtual cores
    • 1500 GB bandwidth
    • $6.68/mo ($5.18 MB for 1024 MB instance, $1.50 for 50 GB extra disk)
    • KVM in Toronto or Montreal
    • https://lunanode.com

We do not provide dedicated servers. However, when you want to migrate to your own dedicated server, you can easily convert your 70 GB volume to an image, and then download the image from our panel. You can then set up a KVM instance on your own server, or mount the image and copy files. Note that most providers who offer both VM and dedicated server will not be able to migrate your system for free.

Thanked by 2pbgben vimalware