Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are you happy with Servermania VPS's?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Comments

• VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider

I had a horrible experience with them a long time ago.

They just seem like a pseudo-premium provider without the actual quality, reliability, decent price, or anything unique to justify the cost. It's a mix between pretending to be cheap and pretending to be premium and ends up being just mediocre. It just looks like they're aimed at attracting small business that have some money to blow but still want to pretend like they're saving money. They're HIPAA compliant, SSAE 16 Type II Audited, etc.

I don't think you need any of that for a 12 Slot CSGO Gameserver.

By the way, they will absolutely screw you out of as much money as they can. Their terms of service has things such as you only having 30 days to correct any billing issues (that means if they charge you more for something, they keep it after 30 days) and an administration fee of at least $100 if you dispute a payment that they decide they were entitled to charge. They've ran promotions in the past where they give several months free and then charge you extreme amounts if you forget to cancel. You cannot cancel your service at the end of the term. You have to wait until the last day and manually cancel it then - they only offer immediate terminations. This is a ploy to get you to forget to cancel and I guarantee with their yearly offer they'll make sure you get at least two years. I wouldn't be surprised if they jack up the price that second year. Plus, they will charge you fees for getting attacked. They charge you $250 fee for first time offense on spam plus an additional $175 fee - so pray to god you don't accidentally get put on a spam list from one e-mail you send or if your VPS is compromised. This also means you're royally screwed if you plan on offering any services to other customers, such as shared hosting. They will also charge you money for "abusing" which could just mean using a lot of CPU.

So with all that said, definitely don't use them for a CSGO Gameserver. You're going to end up with fees every time a kid uses a booter when he gets mad he's kicked from your server. You'll absolutely need to add on the extra-cost protection, you'll end up throwing away $60+ a year (more than what you can get those specs for) with added security "features" you don't need, and your service might just get terminated for using too much resources.

Plus they absolutely won't help you with anything technical on your server. They have an entire section in their ToS about their limited support.

Thanked by 1Droidzone
  • @VirMach said:
    I had a horrible experience with them a long time ago.

They just seem like a pseudo-premium provider without the actual quality, reliability, decent price, or anything unique to justify the cost. It's a mix between pretending to be cheap and pretending to be premium and ends up being just mediocre. It just looks like they're aimed at attracting small business that have some money to blow but still want to pretend like they're saving money. They're HIPAA compliant, SSAE 16 Type II Audited, etc.

I don't think you need any of that for a 12 Slot CSGO Gameserver.

By the way, they will absolutely screw you out of as much money as they can. Their terms of service has things such as you only having 30 days to correct any billing issues (that means if they charge you more for something, they keep it after 30 days) and an administration fee of at least $100 if you dispute a payment that they decide they were entitled to charge. They've ran promotions in the past where they give several months free and then charge you extreme amounts if you forget to cancel. You cannot cancel your service at the end of the term. You have to wait until the last day and manually cancel it then - they only offer immediate terminations. This is a ploy to get you to forget to cancel and I guarantee with their yearly offer they'll make sure you get at least two years. I wouldn't be surprised if they jack up the price that second year. Plus, they will charge you fees for getting attacked. They charge you $250 fee for first time offense on spam plus an additional $175 fee - so pray to god you don't accidentally get put on a spam list from one e-mail you send or if your VPS is compromised. This also means you're royally screwed if you plan on offering any services to other customers, such as shared hosting. They will also charge you money for "abusing" which could just mean using a lot of CPU.

So with all that said, definitely don't use them for a CSGO Gameserver. You're going to end up with fees every time a kid uses a booter when he gets mad he's kicked from your server. You'll absolutely need to add on the extra-cost protection, you'll end up throwing away $60+ a year (more than what you can get those specs for) with added security "features" you don't need, and your service might just get terminated for using too much resources.

Plus they absolutely won't help you with anything technical on your server. They have an entire section in their ToS about their limited support.

Well thanks for replying.

Curious if your Elite+ Servers can run one 128 Tick 12 Slot CSGO Server. (10 Players, 2 Spectators)

• elgselgs Member
    edited October 2015

Surprised that so many votes not happy with servermania. I have a few 6 IP plans with them for over half a year. I'm quite happy with them generally.

• For once stop using all these ColoCrossing companies.

• @Hidden_Refuge said:
    For once stop using all these ColoCrossing companies.

It seems like LA is the only Server that is located at Colocrossing.

I know Colocrossing is a piece of sh*t.

• teknolaizteknolaiz Member
    edited October 2015

@JustRefleX

23.229.123.150 - LA IP space by AS36352 --> ColoCrossing: http://bgp.he.net/AS36352

192.157.59.250 - Buffalo, NY IP space --> own AS55286: http://bgp.he.net/AS55286 --> only peering with ColoCrossing = they are using ColoCrossing's BUF,NY DC and have enough IP space there for their own AS --> http://bgp.he.net/AS36352

23.254.115.64 - Chicago, IL IP space by AS36352 --> ColoCrossing http://bgp.he.net/AS36352

23.254.101.50 - Atlanta, GA IP space by AS36352 --> ColoCrossing http://bgp.he.net/AS36352

It's purely ColoCrossing ;)

• Rubish provider, had a VPS for 1 month, server was down almost every second day.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

JustRefleX said: I know Colocrossing is a piece of sh*t.

I'll have to disagree with that comment! :)

• JustRefleX said: I know Colocrossing is a piece of sh*t.

Let me say it so. If you get a dedi and you're a good sysadmin the only reason you get fucked up is either faulty hardware, a network downtime or CC staff (I remember a funny case :P, they pulled the power plug for no reason on the server and didn't insert it back).

So if you have a good dedi without faulty hardware and the CC staff isn't messing with you + your good sysadmin skills = you can actually operate something really good where downtimes would only be related to network issues at the CC locations. But the truth is different. CVPS, 123systems, BlueVM and etc.. just worst performance and support ever. Not only network but also hardware, support and etc..

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Hidden_Refuge said: Let me say it so. If you get a dedi and you're a good sysadmin the only reason you get fucked up is either faulty hardware, a network downtime or CC staff (I remember a funny case :P, they pulled the power plug for no reason on the server and didn't insert it back).

I am sorry to hear that happened. That is a very rare scenario but it does happen. Power cords can get loose and come out of the power supplies.

• teknolaizteknolaiz Member
    edited October 2015

@jbiloh said:

Well, no worries. It was years ago. Your staff actually said that they had it pulled out and well didn't put it back in. Only after a ticket was opened they told about it. So I don't think it got loose. I mean it'd be stupid if the staff would lie and blame it on themselves for a loose power cord.

• come on CC datacenter staff are far from shit, disk replacement in under 15 mins on a sub $30 servers

• I used Servermania before, my VPS was suspended one time because of DDOS but staff is friendly and service is good.

spazzo said: Rubish provider, had a VPS for 1 month, server was down almost every second day.

The one time I used them, my one VPS never went up. They had a free promotion. I never got to log in and use it, support wasn't too great - then they charged me twice an exorbitantly high monthly fee that would pay for two of the dedicated servers they were using, and out of "courtesy" they refunded one of the two payments and their lawyers threatened to take me to court if I disputed the other payment - for a VPS I never received.

Hidden_Refuge said: For once stop using all these ColoCrossing companies.

I think ColoCrossing gets a little too much hate. We've had a love/hate relationship with them. If something goes wrong, it goes catastrophically wrong and they point fingers at you, but our first server with them, for example, actually had 100% uptime until we upgraded it to a different server.

Most of the bad experiences with ColoCrossing happens when they resell Colo reselling Colo, and then someone resells a VPS on that and provides terrible support.

At least for us, Ernie from HvH makes it worthwhile staying within their network.

jbiloh said: I am sorry to hear that happened. That is a very rare scenario but it does happen. Power cords can get loose and come out of the power supplies.

This happened for us as well and what really pissed us off was the denial and how poorly it was handled.

elgs said: Surprised that so many votes not happy with servermania. I have a few 6 IP plans with them for over half a year. I'm quite happy with them generally.

At their price point, any company has to try hard to not have average "okay" support in general. However, their policies, the people who run the company, and the size of the company make it very easy to create a bad experience.

They are definitely not what they claim to be on their website. They're basically any other provider that resells ColoCrossing, but they act like they're so much bigger and better with so many more features - it's aimed at a different market than an average LET user. They have unnecessary expenses that jack up their cost and as a result they hoard for more money and think all their clients are rich, because a lot of them are rich.

JustRefleX said: Curious if your Elite+ Servers can run one 128 Tick 12 Slot CSGO Server. (10 Players, 2 Spectators)

We do have 128 Tick CSGO Gameservers (already set up) that's $12/mo (tip: most site-wide coupon codes still work) and it comes with TCAdmin so it makes it really easy for you. The node it runs on has protection as well.

If you want to go with your own VPS, though, I would highly recommend at least the Pro+ or Enterprise+ for what you want to do. Reason being is the level of CPU power you need to run a gameserver. Definitely don't miss our offer for those plans if you decide to go with us.

• @VirMach said:
    If you want to go with your own VPS, though, I would highly recommend at least the Pro+ or Enterprise+ for what you want to do. Reason being is the level of CPU power you need to run a gameserver. Definitely don't miss our offer for those plans if you decide to go with us.

I basically don't need a webinterface. I use VPS's to save money since we don't have any money income. BudgetVZ for instance has a great price/performance.

Anyway my opinion on colocrossing is that they cause a lot of ping variation which makes the servers useless. Basically every Server that has colocrossing has this issue IMO.

JustRefleX said: I basically don't need a webinterface. I use VPS's to save money since we don't have any money income.

We generally price our plans the same. If you go based on what I recommended which is what your approximate CPU usage would be, it would be $11.95 for the Pro+ and $19.95 for the Enterprise+ per month, regular price. The CSGO Gameserver would be $12, so you actually do get a better deal in my opinion as you'd be sharing a higher level of resources when you need it and it will always run smooth.

That is of course at non-discount price. I don't think we have any major discounts for the Gameserver.

Anyway my opinion on colocrossing is that they cause a lot of ping variation which makes the servers useless. Basically every Server that has colocrossing has this issue IMO.

We do sometimes get weird routing issues with them and ping variations as you described. However we press them to fix the issues. We've gotten rid of a server with them completely because of issues like this in the past. I'd have to say there haven't been any issues recently in regards with ping.

If you absolutely do not want to go with ColoCrossing, we do have other datacenters used for some of our locations.

BudgetVZ for instance has a great price/performance.

I think they have a good reputation for what they offer, but again, I do not believe this is the company for you for what you're running.

• You wouldn't be able to run what you want smoothly on their largest plan
    • They will suspend you if you run a gameserver, given their ToS

Abusing shared resources is not allowed, utilizing heavy CPU and IO Resources on your VPS will get them suspended without notice in an effort to keep the shared resources available for all users.

VPS Servers can be Shutdown or Rebooted when loads hit over 0.90 CPU Load over 15 minute average. Repetitive reboots or shutdowns can lead to Suspension or Termination of services.

Your next best bet, though, would probably be another company tailored toward gaming. Most of these companies will put you on an OVH node. OVH has been releasing servers for gaming and they have the featured desired for gaming. There's not any specific companies I can think of - most that are fairly established also have the pricetag that goes with it.

I definitely would advise against using any providers that do not know you're specifically running a CSGO gameserver though. I know this from experience. Do the math. Most servers end up costing the provider something like $10-20 per core. If you're getting a lot for your money, they probably have throttled and terms of service against bursting to your full CPU usage for more than 15 minutes.

• @VirMach said:
    I definitely would advise against using any providers that do not know you're specifically running a CSGO gameserver though. I know this from experience. Do the math. Most servers end up costing the provider something like $10-20 per core. If you're getting a lot for your money, they probably have throttled and terms of service against bursting to your full CPU usage for more than 15 minutes.

They don't ban for Gameservers but for high CPU Usage etc. I've been making sure we don't abuse the System or anything like that.

Anyway if I want to get a Server in Germany or France for instance I'd pay about <3,50 EUR a Month for 12 Slot Server. Yeah quite a good value isn't it?

Haven't been taking a look for US Servers but Locations I look for is NYC/New Jersey and Chicago.

edited October 2015

JustRefleX said: They don't ban for Gameservers but for high CPU Usage etc. I've been making sure we don't abuse the System or anything like that.

Haven't been taking a look for US Servers but Locations I look for is NYC/New Jersey and Chicago.

I guess what I'm trying to say is your definition of "abuse" is different than theirs. In their ToS they specifically lay out that more than 0.90 load for 15 minutes constitutes abuse. All their plans 1 vCore so (1) that means you can't really use it all at all times and (2) with only 1 core that's shared across other people, you may not always get the full core and the core speed is not published so it will most likely be a 2GHz E5, on BudgetVZ.

You're definitely going to be up there near 100% on the CPU usage. If you're running a server fine €10/Year 1GB BudgetVZ then that's pretty much like our Elite+ plan and you would be able to run it on that plan as you asked. The only real difference is our disk.

I was just going based on our testing, but we might be a little over-cautious on usage and testing.

Anyway if I want to get a Server in Germany or France for instance I'd pay about <3,50 EUR a Month for 12 Slot Server. Yeah quite a good value isn't it?

Which provider would that be? That is definitely a good price. If you're located in Europe I don't see why you'd even consider New York for a gameserver. And if you're in New York, vice versa.

One other option I can think of for you - people on message boards have said they could run a small CSGO server fine on Linode/DigitalOcean's $5-10 plans and they offer New York as well as Europe as options. Other cloud privates might work out as well and they do have good promotions going. I see cloud providers being increasingly popular for gaming.

This would be interesting to see in action as well for a gameserver if you don't run into issues.
    I'm actually about to try it and I'll report back to you with the results.

• VirMach said: We do have 128 Tick CSGO Gameservers (already set up) that's $12/mo (tip: most site-wide coupon codes still work) and it comes with TCAdmin so it makes it really easy for you. The node it runs on has protection as well.

Do you even know anything about running a VPS host? I hope you have at least read http://www.servermania.com/starting-a-vps-company.htm

• JustRefleXJustRefleX Member
    edited October 2015

@linuxthefish said:
    Do you even know anything about running a VPS host? I hope you have at least read http://www.servermania.com/starting-a-vps-company.htm

Oh nevermind, you were replying to @VirMach

• @VirMach said:
    I'm actually about to try it and I'll report back to you with the results.

Hmm. I'm seriously interested in this offer. Too bad it's France.

Regarding Why I want a NY Server is because we have lots of players at the East Coast and in the Center. That's why I am also interested in Denver and Chicago.

DigitalOcean 5$ should work according to some threads - but in my case it didn't work properly. I'm pretty sure the performance is bad due to 512 MB RAM.

JustRefleX said: Hmm. I'm seriously interested in this offer. Too bad it's France.

I completely forgot Steam still hasn't released any support for ARM - so abort that idea I had. It won't work with Scaleway.

JustRefleX said: Regarding Why I want a NY Server is because we have lots of players at the East Coast and in the Center. That's why I am also interested in Denver and Chicago.

If you're considering Denver, you might want to consider Dallas as that will be a more popular location for the central area and decent ping to East coast as well. Chicago will definitely be better for everyone, though, if you have players in the (northern) East and Central.

I have friends in the East coast, I'm central, and Dallas usually works out the best for us on average. Also gives people from the west an opportunity to join in. But they always seem to prefer the datacenter in their city ;)

• @VirMach said:
    I have friends in the East coast, I'm central, and Dallas usually works out the best for us on average. Also gives people from the west an opportunity to join in. But they always seem to prefer the datacenter in their city ;)

What do do you think of San Jose for the West-America, Dallas as a Central Server . And New York/New Jersey for East-America?

JustRefleX said: What do do you think of San Jose for the West-America, Dallas as a Central Server . And New York/New Jersey for East-America?

If you're going with three locations that does sound like the best way to do it. You could also opt in for Las Vegas, Los Angeles or Phoenix instead of San Jose to get better coverage in central and southwest instead of northwest and to possibly save money.

• i'm ordered today (with clicking lowendbox adverts) a Linux 2 GB VPS..
    after wait 1 hours,
    I spoke with live support, He said: "-your order is approved, please wait 20 mins.."
    after 5 mins;
    i recieve an e-mail for paypal;
    servermania is refunded me 48$..

Why?
    What is the reason?

I protest servermania!..
    and I recommend " - Please dont publish their ads!!!"

• last order 1 yeah and not renew,
    alway down. not give any reseon.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@kahanbey said:
    i'm ordered today (with clicking lowendbox adverts) a Linux 2 GB VPS..
    after wait 1 hours,
    I spoke with live support, He said: "-your order is approved, please wait 20 mins.."
    after 5 mins;
    i recieve an e-mail for paypal;
    servermania is refunded me 48$..

Why?
    What is the reason?

I protest servermania!..
    and I recommend " - Please dont publish their ads!!!"

Every company has right to choose who they do their business with, in this case they decided not to do business with you. It's perfectly OK for them to do so and its perfectly legal, whether you like it, or not.