Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New nexus phones
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New nexus phones

jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

So last week Google released information about their upcoming nexus 5 and 6. Right now I'm using the old generation nexus 6, which I switched to from a opo. My only complaint on the old n6 is the weak battery (in part due to the high resolution screen) and the size is a bit too big.

Seems Google recognized that the n6 was a bit too big and they dramatically increased the batter capacity on the new 6p making it close to a perfect phone for me. So I'm on the upgrade waiting list and expecting my phone to ship in 4 to 5 weeks. Anyone else getting the latest nexus 5 or 6?

And out of curiosity anyone who bought the op2 how do you like it?

Comments

• Do you upgrade your phone every year? What do you even do with old phones? Sell them? I mean they are not nokias, you cant even use them to protect yourself.

• My Nexus 6 battery is not that bad though. Currently running Android M.

• I bought the Nexus 5X last week... Definitely excited for it

• my 2 year nexus 5 is still fine, plus it will get M this week, so no need yet to get those X and P. also, i don't like how them new nexus' looks. :D

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • @marl said:
    my 2 year nexus 5 is still fine, plus it will get M this week, so no need yet to get those X and P. also, i don't like how them new nexus' looks. :D

My nexus 5 battery sux hard. And newest updates just like test before release for public. Gonna go from nexus 5 to iphone 5s after new year. Time to go full apple :D

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

I usually update my phone every 12 to 18 months and then sell the old one or give to one of our staff members at ColoCrossing.

• adxnadxn Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2015

Will get a nexus asap as Apple has introduced a new feature in iOS9 called " LAG "and I hate it!

• Nexus 5 = 350€, Nexus 5X = 480€ (16GB). I'd buy a Nexus 5X for the price in the US but $540 for a phone that is in large parts identical to the same phone released 2 years ago for $350 is just ridiculous

• I'm going to wait on the reviews of the N6P - I'm just concerned that the stereotypes of Chinese built electronics are normally accurate from past experiences.

gsrdgrdghd said: I'd buy a Nexus 5X for the price in the US but $540 for a phone that is in large parts identical to the same phone released 2 years ago for $350 is just ridiculous

What? The 808 + sensor co-processor alone is a dramatic change from N5 to N5X.

• A phone is a phone, why would you need it to have those fast CPUs? A 801 or even the 800 is already fast enough. It's not like you are gonna be playing 5 games at once on it.

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

I bought the OP2 and to be honest I really do like it. There's a couple of issues with the latest OxygenOS update that are pissing me off for the time being but overall I really like it.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@TheOnlyDK said:
    A phone is a phone, why would you need it to have those fast CPUs? A 801 or even the 800 is already fast enough. It's not like you are gonna be playing 5 games at once on it.

Faster productivity? Unless you have a nokia flip phone, pretty sure most of us here use our phones for nearly everything we can do on our PC now.

• TheOnlyDKTheOnlyDK Member
    edited October 2015

@EVM_Mike said:
    Faster productivity? Unless you have a nokia flip phone, pretty sure most of us here use our phones for nearly everything we can do on our PC now.

Sure, but how much faster? My N5 still do things really fast. Saving a couple of seconds worth the $500 upgrade?

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@TheOnlyDK said:
    Sure, but how much faster? My N5 still do things really fast. Saving a couple of seconds worth the $500 upgrade?

I've never had one, dunno how good/bad it is compared to my iPhone for example. Only reason I'd get a Nexus is to use Google Fi to save money.

• @EVM_Mike said:
    I've never had one, dunno how good/bad it is compared to my iPhone for example. Only reason I'd get a Nexus is to use Google Fi to save money.

Eww iPhone. :P

• EVM_Mike said: I've never had one

That you shouldn't compare them...

For me battery life being very important that's what has me most interested in the n6p.

I don't think there's any legitimate justification to upgrade from a current n5 to the new n5 though.

• maybe the battery life is better on 5X compare to the old one, but i rather buy Oneplus 2 if i decide to upgrade.

• Have a Nexus 6 at the moment with project fi. Not sure if I'll upgrade just yet or wait til next year as this thing is still a beast.

@marl said:
    maybe the battery life is better on 5X compare to the old one, but i rather buy Oneplus 2 if i decide to upgrade.

I really wasn't impressed with the op2. I think one plus over hyped it.

• DylanDylan Member
    edited October 2015

@jbiloh said: they dramatically increased the batter capacity on the new 6p

jbiloh said: For me battery life being very important that's what has me most interested in the n6p.

I don't think there's any legitimate justification to upgrade from a current n5 to the new n5 though.

I think you might have gotten the 5 and 6 backwards? The 5X gets a 15% bump (2300 to 2700 mAh) from the 5, while the 6P only goes up 7% from the 6 (3220 to 3450 mAh).

• @jbiloh said:
    For me battery life being very important that's what has me most interested in the n6p.

Well for me, my Nexus 5 is dinged all to hell, still works but with a cracked screen, sim card slot is also half broken, 2 years is a pretty long time for a phone (read, non-nokia phones)... pretty legitimate reason for me to upgrade, plus the fingerprint sensor and usb type c Mmm Mmm delicious

• @jbiloh said:
    I really wasn't impressed with the op2. I think one plus over hyped it.

i really like the specs. also, dual sim is really is nice from where i'm at.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Nexus 4 :(

Thanked by 1shallownorthdakota
  • @marl said: i really like the specs. also, dual sim is really is nice from where i'm at.

Dual sim definitely a reason to upgrade for me (shuttling between HK and China). Too bad the geniouses at Google cooldn't manage this trick with the new 5X. Wife has iphone6+ nice to watch movies and snap pix but too big and pretty much useless for anything else. So thanks but no thanks for the new N6P. Too big, too expensive an upgrade for another sim. N5 speed, battery still okay for me.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@aglodek said:
    Dual sim definitely a reason to upgrade for me (shuttling between HK and China). Too bad the geniouses at Google cooldn't manage this trick with the new 5X. Wife has iphone6+ nice to watch movies and snap pix but too big and pretty much useless for anything else. So thanks but no thanks for the new N6P. Too big, too expensive an upgrade for another sim. N5 speed, battery still okay for me.

z3+ dual or s6 edge+ dual

• edited October 2015

@agoldenberg said:
    I bought the OP2 and to be honest I really do like it. There's a couple of issues with the latest OxygenOS update that are pissing me off for the time being but overall I really like it.

You get all the goodies hehe. What's exactly what happens with oxygen os and updates?

I'm interested in phones but I'd rather burn that money in some e3v3 s :)

• jbiloh said: give to one of our staff members at ColoCrossing

Meanwhile at ColoCrossing HQ...

• My best friend works for Google so she's planning to give it to me if they hand her one of the new phones for free (she's already using an iPhone 6 Plus so there's no need for another). That was how I got my current phone (Nexus 5) in the first place too.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • My Nexus 5 is using with a partly cracked screen. So I pre-ordered Nexus 6P immediately...

Living as a Chinese, but this will be my 1st time to use a Chinese branded phone, hope me good luck...