Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to turn standard Ubuntu into minimal?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to turn standard Ubuntu into minimal?

When the minimal template is not available I was always have to install the standard version that uses a lot of ram with nothing else installed. What exactly makes Minimal that way? (like 5MB of RAM usage)

Comments

• last times has try find why some vps 512M Ram can run Centos7, some vps can't install.

maybe your think it

you can search some USB Linux OS, that's very mini.

• @sandro said:
    Do you have the same for 32bit?

Basically you have to remove every unneeded package, you could try with the 64bit command they propose (only if you just provisioned the VPS!)

• 32bit and 64 bit should be the same, it's just the package names after all.

• I thought that it would remove things running at startup as well. Otherwise if it just removes packages for space I don't really care. I don't understand why with a 512MB vps I get 52MB of RAM used while with the same distro on a 128MB vps I get 5MB used. Could it be because one is Xen and the other Openvz?

• HassanHassan Member, Patron Provider

@sandro said:
    I thought that it would remove things running at startup as well. Otherwise if it just removes packages for space I don't really care. I don't understand why with a 512MB vps I get 52MB of RAM used while with the same distro on a 128MB vps I get 5MB used. Could it be because one is Xen and the other Openvz?

Assuming the 128MB VPS is the OpenVZ one, that does sound fairly normal. With OpenVZ a lot of the overhead is eliminated due to it being container based virtualization.

That time4vps.eu KB article should be really helpful with helping you eliminate a few unneeded packages, I would recommend using that as a base. At the end of the day though, in most circumstances, an Ubuntu installation on a XEN VPS will be using more overhead RAM than an OpenVZ VPS on similarly spec'd hardware

• sandrosandro Member
    edited October 2015

so it's normal x10 the RAM on Xen?

• sinsin Member

I use deborphan and debfoster on Debian to get rid of packages I don't need, not sure if that's the best way but it's what I'm used to :)

• sandro said: so it's normal x10 the RAM on Xen?

Well, if you're used to 5 MB and then get 50 MB then yes, but if you mean from 500MB to 5GB then it's not normal. It just means you have to run inside the VPS things that are managed by the host nodes on OpenVZ containers.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited October 2015

sandro said: so it's normal x10 the RAM on Xen?

As @Traffic said, it is only for the low threshold. That means, in OpenVZ the OS rely on the node's kernel, and the memory footprint is only for the extra packages that are needed for your configuration.
    In XEN HVM, the box is a complete pc, so, RAM - kernel and all other stuff will consume memory just like if you installed the O/S to your pc at home.
    As of XEN PV, it is not as light as openvz, but the itinial memory footprint would be somewere in the middle, I think.

Thanked by 2Traffic sandro
  • I see, thanks. Seems like for low ram VPS is better to go with Openvz?

• time4vpstime4vps Member, Host Rep

Take a note, that commands to minify OS is tested only for our servers. Be careful if you executing them not in our servers, no guarantee that it will work.