Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How long have you been with your current LEB provider?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How long have you been with your current LEB provider?

rgenzonrgenzon Member
edited September 2015 in General

It's amazing how I'm looking at my past invoices, and it's showing that the first one I got with BuyVM was way back in 2011, when I found out about LEB.

I had a couple of other LEB VPS providers before, but I just happen to go back w/ BuyVM. Just bought another server from them today btw. :D

I never really tried a lot of other LEB providers, but I sure did had ChicagoVPS, but BuyVM had always been better IMO.

How about you guys?

Comments

• PremiumNPremiumN Member
    edited September 2015

I found about LEB in 2013.

I was with Hostus from their very beginning (initially with a reseller hosting plan) in 2013. In fact, i was the first person to do a review on their services on an online forum. I grew to a VPS and it came to a point where they could not accommodate me for my needs. There were a few ups and downs & oh boy did i have a lot of IP changes over the months they grew (which was to be expected). Then i moved to a dedicated at HVH in 2014 and the experience was great over there. I still have a few boxes with HVH and couldnt be more impressed.

EDIT: Yes, i cannot agree more. BuyVM has always been good for me too :)

• TrafficTraffic Member
    edited September 2015

I have an account with most LEB providers. I haven't renewed most of the services provided by the service providers recommended by most (RamNode, HostUS) because I had found other providers by the time I had to pay the renewal that have an even better service and lower price, with a quality service.

Some of the hosts I currently have VPSs with include MyCustomHosting, NexHost, UltraVPS, EthernetServers, BoltVM, IgniteServers, VPSCheap, GestionDBI, NanoVZ...

Thanked by 1gestiondbi
  • @PremiumN that's awesome to hear! I'll look into HVH as well :)

• @Traffic which one do you like best so far?

• TrafficTraffic Member
    edited September 2015

rgenzon said: @Traffic which one do you like best so far?

EthernetServers, BoltVM and VPSCheap (I got an awesome deal on a LEB post, no longer available I think).

If you go with BoltVM you must have no expectations of support. Other than that, it's fine.

EthernetServers has extremely good support (solution in minutes) and the best prices and uptime.

The only reason I don't use the MyCustomHosting VPS more (and won't renew it) is because of its reliability. I won't be renewing it.

• Back in Oct 2013 I wrote a little review on VPSDime and I'm still with them and loving the sevice!
    http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/15409/vpsdime-1-month-review

My VMBox.co should be approaching 1 year and I'm very happy with the service.

• TrafficTraffic Member
    edited September 2015

badpatrick said: My VMBox.co should be approaching 1 year and I'm very happy with the service.

How's their uptime? What location are you in? I've long wanted to check them out but since I feel they would price the VPS lower if they didn't include the SSL cert, and since I don't need the SSL... I've been hesitating.

• @Traffic said:
    How's their uptime? What location are you in? I've long wanted to check them out but since I feel they would price the VPS lower if they didn't include the SSL cert, and since I don't need the SSL... I've been hesitating.

Los Angeles. UptimeRobot has alerted me once. On September 9th I had 30m down time. Other than that its been awesome.

Thanked by 1Traffic
  • LeeLee Veteran
    edited September 2015

My longest continual run of an LEB provider is BuyVM since 2012.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

I had a hostigation vps for probably 2-3 years. No longer have it now though.

Thanked by 1badpatrick
  • KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

My oldest active LEB is also BuyVM (ordered on 03/06/2013). I got a great deal on it so I keep renewing it even though for a long time I had it powered off and unused.

• @Traffic said:
    I have an account with most LEB providers. I haven't renewed most of the services provided by the service providers recommended by most (RamNode, HostUS) because I had found other providers by the time I had to pay the renewal that have an even better service and lower price, with a quality service.

Some of the hosts I currently have VPSs with include MyCustomHosting, NexHost, UltraVPS, EthernetServers, BoltVM, IgniteServers, VPSCheap, GestionDBI, NanoVZ...

EthernetServers and NexHost +1!

I mean, EthernetServers has pretty awesome support (NexHost too!), but the disk I/O speeds are amazing (1.9GB/second).

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I have been using Racksrv and Quickweb since 2010, I could get cheaper but price is not everything for me.

0 unplanned down time

• I had a RamHost vps from 2011- june 2015, had an uptime of upto 300+ days until the server I'm in got raided, uptime restarted. I want to upgrade the plan but their plans & pricing are still stuck in the past. Had to let it go for a new better vps offers here: RamNode, been using for 1yr 5m now.

Thanked by 1bersy
  • Flicking through the old emails, it appears I've been with Secure Dragon since June 2011, although I seem to have been through a number of plans that time.

I think my longest running plan is with WaveCom (formally TorqHost), but that ends next year thanks to the increasing price and decreasing quality.

• Big companies like online.net, OVH, leaseweb and Hetzner make it difficult to keep using LEB providers.

• @4n0nx said:
    Big companies like online.net, OVH, leaseweb and Hetzner make it difficult to keep using LEB providers.

For you perhaps, but the reality for most is that it's better not to put all your eggs in one basket. You can still get more services and overall resource in multiple locations creating a more robust set up for the price of one dedicated.

A dedicated for most and I suspect you also, is ultimately overkill. Just because you can have a dedicated at a low price does not mean you need it.

• Stopped using LEBs after a prominent one had a RAID card failure which lost all the data. At that time, the "low end dedicated servers" started coming out and I figured I could cut my losses with going from provider to provider by focusing on an excellent dedicated server provider.

I mean online.net has a server for next to nothing and now it's $20-$40/mo for some providers..

• doughmanes said: Stopped using LEBs after a prominent one had a RAID card failure which lost all the data. At that time, the "low end dedicated servers" started coming out and I figured I could cut my losses with going from provider to provider by focusing on an excellent dedicated server provider.

I mean online.net has a server for next to nothing and now it's $20-$40/mo for some providers..

Funny how our stories collide :O

• Lee said: For you perhaps, but the reality for most is that it's better not to put all your eggs in one basket. You can still get more services and overall resource in multiple locations creating a more robust set up for the price of one dedicated.

A dedicated for most and I suspect you also, is ultimately overkill. Just because you can have a dedicated at a low price does not mean you need it.

My eggs are not in one basket, non LEB providers give me more for my money and I do need "a dedicated server" (you are aware that they start at 2GB RAM right?). That was my fucking point.

If your current expenses are a fraction of 2-4€ a month, then of course going to a company that doesn't suck would be a huge waste of money.

• rgenzonrgenzon Member
    edited September 2015

@KuJoe said:

My oldest active LEB is also BuyVM (ordered on 03/06/2013). I got a great deal on it so I keep renewing it even though for a long time I had it powered off and unused.

I'd probably do the same if the deal is that good :P

• 4n0nx said: That was my fucking point.

Clearly I was right then.

• @Traffic said:
    The only reason I don't use the MyCustomHosting VPS more (and won't renew it) is because of its reliability. I won't be renewing it.

Huh? Please PM me details. Ticket # etc.

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

Been with @QPS since April 28th 2013 and have always had great service.

Thanked by 1qps
  • MCHPhil said: Huh? Please PM me details. Ticket # etc.

By reliability I mean RAID 0. I don't use it for long-term projects because of the high potential of data loss.

• @Lee said:

Different uses different needs.

I use some VPSs as proxy/vpn servers for privacy/security reasons as I travel frequently. nanovz's bundle is perfect for those.

I also have a bigger vps for running a personal boinc project when I need to distribute computing out to other computers when analysis on one machine one would take frustratingly long. That even if it's down a few % of the time, I probably wouldn't notice except for having to reenter the ssh passphrase into the keychains. It was previously on a $5 / month Delimiter atom but even that was a bit overkill for that job.

Speaking of that, anyone recommend any VPS who can provide a ton of CPU with a small amount of memory and storage (say 2GB/10GB) at a cheap cost even if it's on a capacity available basis like Amazon's spot instance type ?

On the other hand, I have a dedicated box that I use as an Rstudio host at Hetzner that i got on their auction. I work with moderate sized time series data so having the hard drive space to stock them as well as the RAM/CPU available to work with them is worth paying a fair bit extra for. If I lock the CPU at 100% for a few hours at a tim, that's much cooler to do that on a dedicated box than to overload everyone else's VPS. To get something comparable on AWS, I'd spend far more, especially when you add in the fact I'd need to transfer the data in and out all the time. I might have faster response times if I got a top of the line AWS instance but I'd pay a whole lot more in a day than hetzner charges me in a month. As a side benefit, I use the extra space on the drives as a personal seafile server so all my photos etc. get archived up there.

I have another dedicated box that I use for a production project that absolutely must be up and running 24hrs a day from Sunday night to Friday night. Again the cost for a lower-end dedicated box is worth it - I control when security updates happen on the weekend so as not to mess up my work. It's on constant.com and hasn't been rebooted except for when I have told it to for security updates in four years, Superstorm Sandy notwithstanding.

On both dedicated boxes, even though I don't use capacity in full, the piece of mind and the availability are worth it on the latter and it's the most efficient way of getting the job done for the former.

• Just renewed my LowEndSpirit UK box for a third year, purchased Sept 2013.

Thanked by 1gestiondbi
  • EthernetServers and NexHost +1!

• @mikeyur: you use it for production? Been looking at it for a couple of weeks now. Everything is super affordable on the site.

• @doghouch said:
    I mean, EthernetServers has pretty awesome support (NexHost too!), but the disk I/O speeds are amazing (1.9GB/second).

Really?
    with ethernetservers I have I/O 5 MB/s

CPU model : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1240 v3 @ 3.40GHz
    Number of cores : 4
    CPU frequency : 3400.000 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 1024 MB
    Total amount of swap : 1024 MB
    System uptime : 3 days, 9:54,
    Download speed from CacheFly: 38,6MB/s
    Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 2,48MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 460KB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 1,34MB/s
    Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 940KB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 3,69MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 953KB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 444KB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 26,4MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 4,41MB/s
    I/O speed : 5 MB/s

Obviously it takes ages to make a simple "su -c 'yum update'" so I sent a ticket today...
    http://i.imgur.com/3hYJrgZ.png