Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thin Provisioning for SolusVM
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Thin Provisioning for SolusVM

Hello guys,

I know that we can create thin provisioned LVM pool, but unfortunately we cannot provide such Thin Pool to SolusVM-KVM, it specifically ask for Volume group name. Let me know if anybody has Solution on this.

Comments

• wychwych Member
    edited September 2015

As @drserver once said...

if you need panel to do thin provisioning, then i can tell you right away that thin provisioning is not right thing for you. It requires constant monitoring and meta backups for almost every non vanilla kernel. If you ask me it is not production ready.

http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/1050948/#Comment_1050948

Thanked by 1drserver
  • drserverdrserver Member, Host Rep

actually this is still true. On big storage arrays it is disaster. Metadata has to be on SSD drive, and that ssd drive has to be in pair with other ssd drive. So minimum raid 10 storage array and raid1 meta array.

As you fill out storage, meta becomes bigger and bigger, you may end with super slow I/O because of meta addressing.

Also you will need to take regular meta backups, in case of meta corruption good bye everything.

In case of unclean shutdown, there is also like 25% chance that you will loose everything if you are using centos. Fedora is much better for that.

Last but not the least, if you don't know how to make thin lvm, please for safety of your customers don't do it. If you still want to try, all that you need is in your kernel.
    https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/device-mapper/thin-provisioning.txt

Be extremely careful i have talked to LVM guys from redhat, every one of them including dm-thin inventor is saying that product is far from production ready state. There is 0 recovery tools that may help you in case of problems.

I wish you best of luck