Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's a LOA, and how do I proceed to get one?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What's a LOA, and how do I proceed to get one?

singsingsingsing Member
edited September 2015 in General

Hi everyone,

For the next phase of my small-scale anycast project, I've been asked by a VPS provider to provide a LOA for my IPv6 block. This block is a PA block from RIPE (via a LIR). The block's WHOIS already lists my company.

I've asked the below questions of my VPS provider but they didn't get back, they probably consider it too micro for the level of support.

So, my questions are?

1) Who must issue this LOA? My company or the LIR? I've searched for samples on the web; some are issued by the company having the IP block, but other information about LOA states that the LOA must be issued by the upstream provider of the IP block.

2) Should the LOA authorize my company, authorize the VPS provider, or authorize the company that has the peering AS? (It seems the VPS provider in question does not do BGP themselves).

Thanks!

Comments

• If you are in whois/SWIP you issue the LoA - if the netblock is large enough to be announced (/48+).

The LoA authorizes whatever AS your provider uses - Their own, or their DCs usually.

Thanked by 1singsing
  • William said: If you are in whois/SWIP you issue the LoA - if the netblock is large enough to be announced (/48+).

Interesting. Yes it is large enough to announce. My company is listed in all the other fields, but mnt-by field lists the LIR. I'd prefer to issue the LoA from my company if it's "proper" to do it that way in this case.

Meanwhile, the LIR has seen this post and helpfully offered to do the letter.

• In this case you should do the LoA - not the LIR.

Thanked by 1singsing
  • In the US, if you happen to wish it announced as long as the LOA is on letterhead that matches WHOIS it will be accepted. I get rejections when the two do not match while trying to get filters open for clients trying to create Anycast

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited September 2015

Is it ARIN space or RIPE space? LOA or not, please do create a route object in the RIPE / ARIN database and add the import: / export: statements to the AS info.

Many of the European ISPs create automatic prefix filters based on the information extracted from the RR databases.

• rds100 said: Is it ARIN space or RIPE space? LOA or not, please do create a route object in the RIPE / ARIN database and add the import: / export: statements to the AS info.

RIPE. Will do.

rds100 said: Many of the European ISPs create automatic prefix filters based on the information extracted from the RR databases.

Yes, I remember reading something along these lines, wasn't too impressed by the implications of doing these kinds of things "automatically", but will try to keep RIPE database updated.