Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID
Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

In this Discussion

Minecraft Automatic SRV and A record maker (Website Review)

Minecraft Automatic SRV and A record maker (Website Review)

SpencerSpencer Member
edited November 2012 in General

http://mcserverdns.com/ I need your honest opinons on my website that I am working on. It is meant for minecraft servers to auto create SRV records and A records for their servers. I tried to make it as simple as possible. What do you think? Be brutally honest!

Comments

  • Interesting...

  • bamnbamn Disabled

    An interesting idea for IP:port services (IRC/web/FTP/SSH running on non-standard port)

  • First world problems...

    Loading Deck - Cloud Consultants: Server Management | Consultancy | Software Development
  • Nice, you should make a DIY tutorial on there too though

  • @BronzeByte said: Nice, you should make a DIY tutorial on there too though

    Yup I can do that, very easy with minecraft.

  • Love it

    MXroute Christmas Offer | DigitalOcean free $10 credit (affiliate)

  • What does the DNS actually run on? Bind?

    BlueVM | Best VPS Deals [~] 1GBPS, RAID-10, OpenVZ/KVM, 8 amazing locations. [~]
  • AsadHaiderAsadHaider Member
    edited November 2012

    Hey! Where's my credit for being awesome :P

    @BlueVM Cloudflare

  • AsadHaider - So it connects to cloudflare's API to make new entries?

    Won't that get confusing after the 4,000th entry?

    BlueVM | Best VPS Deals [~] 1GBPS, RAID-10, OpenVZ/KVM, 8 amazing locations. [~]
  • @BlueVM Yeah, and no idea.. blame Spencer if it breaks :D

  • ZenZen Member
    edited November 2012

    @BlueVM said: What does the DNS actually run on? Bind?

    Wouldn't be surprised if it just interfaces the API for some DNS provider (cf/dme/etc)

    Would be interested in the code for this, but then again it appears there is no user/domain management, probably no admin panel, so I'm going to say its sub-100 lines of code (at least that's as short as I could make it) in which case it doesn't have too much value to me learning wise :)

    @BlueVM said: Won't that get confusing after the 4,000th entry?

    Why would it be confusing?

  • We're looking at offering free yourchoice.bvm.mx domains to our clients, I like the idea of using cloudflare, but could you imagine loading the dns page on the actual site if the entries got above about 200 or so?

    BlueVM | Best VPS Deals [~] 1GBPS, RAID-10, OpenVZ/KVM, 8 amazing locations. [~]
  • @BlueVM said: AsadHaider - So it connects to cloudflare's API to make new entries?

    Won't that get confusing after the 4,000th entry?

    Yup it just calls the API and creates them. I never have to log in to the cloudflare panel at all so it won't be confusing at all.

  • @Zen said: Would be interested in the code for this, but then again it appears there is no user/domain management, probably no admin panel, so I'm going to say its sub-100 lines of code (at least that's as short as I could make it) in which case it doesn't have too much value to me learning wise :)

    Yea its not much at all, only about 200 lines of code at most

  • ZenZen Member
    edited November 2012

    @BlueVM said: We're looking at offering free yourchoice.bvm.mx domains to our clients, I like the idea of using cloudflare, but could you imagine loading the dns page on the actual site if the entries got above about 200 or so?

    If it got above that, hell even with a few, I would just add to this by making an entire panel to search, add, remove, etc via the CF API - preload the new entries every minute into a DB so you have no loading issues, and bam. Think outside the box :)

    Effectively the CF API (and others) allow you to make a more functional version of the CF website, efficiency wise, if you really want to.

  • I suppose I could just avoid loading that page and use the API for everything... not a bad idea.

    BlueVM | Best VPS Deals [~] 1GBPS, RAID-10, OpenVZ/KVM, 8 amazing locations. [~]
  • image

    -

  • @bnmkl said:

    image

  • @zen - :-)

    -

  • @Zen said: If it got above that, hell even with a few, I would just add to this by making an entire panel to search, add, remove, etc via the CF API - preload the new entries every minute into a DB so you have no loading issues, and bam. Think outside the box :)

    Yup that is what we do. I just have a little script on that will remove them. But the issue is that cloudflares api is a little mehh. There is currently no search feature at all. So you can't send it a dns record and have it return if it is valid or not, along with a few other features. You really can't get any info from the api it is really only put minus a few api calls.

  • @Spencer said: Yup that is what we do. I just have a little script on that will remove them. But the issue is that cloudflares api is a little mehh. There is currently no search feature at all. So you can't send it a dns record and have it return if it is valid or not, along with a few other features. You really can't get any info from the api it is really only put minus a few api calls.

    Grab a list, store, compare?... O_o

  • @Zen said: Grab a list, store, compare?... O_o

    That is so much more work :p think lazy like me!

  • @BlueVM said: could you imagine loading the dns page on the actual site if the entries got above about 200 or so?

    With big zones, CF loads the records only as you scroll. With really big zones, after a while it shows a 'Load more records' button instead.

  • IMHO, "mcserverdns.com" is too long.

    SimpleNode | Minecraft and VPS Hosting | KVM and OpenVZ | Dallas, TX and Phoenix, AZ | PayPal and BitCoins accepted

  • It's a shame that Monaco requires you to have a registered business in their country to get one of their TLDs. You'd be able to get dns.mc for about $50 a year...

  • @NickM said: It's a shame that Monaco requires you to have a registered business in their country to get one of their TLDs. You'd be able to get dns.mc for about $50 a year...

    If you add a number to your domain (something short like "a1"), you can often get a 2char ccTLD. It's not optimal, but if you really need something short, it's better than nothing.

    Or you could try snagging one of the few remaining 3char .me domains. When I grabbed mine last year (vkk.me) I believe there were under 10 remaining (at least according to what I used to find vkk), but there might be some left. Unfortunately, I lost the link to the site with the listings, so you'd need to do some digging to find it again.

  • @SimpleNode said: IMHO, "mcserverdns.com" is too long.

    Yea im working on adding an option so you can pick, I just can't find any good short mc related domains.

    @NickM said: t's a shame that Monaco requires you to have a registered business in their country to get one of their TLDs. You'd be able to get dns.mc for about $50 a year...

    Ahhh damn that would be sweet.

  • InfinityInfinity Retired Staff

    mcservr.com?

    我是一个巨魔 (;

  • @Infinity said: mcservr.com?

    Just bought thanks :)

  • How does it work?

Sign In or Register to comment.