Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Enterprise/Highly Relievable VPS or Dedi Provider US West and East Coast
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Enterprise/Highly Relievable VPS or Dedi Provider US West and East Coast

Hello, working for a (well) funded startup in SF and we're looking to move to new infrastructure for a WordPress website. We're currently at a high-end VPS provider (Linode) but not liking the random dropped packets and routine DDOS attacks that leave noticeable performance marks.

I'm looking for a high quality, first class provider. One that I can call, phone, email, etc, and have a fast reply from an experienced network admin. Thanks for your feedback.

Comments

• SpeedyKVMSpeedyKVM Banned, Member

Any VPS budget does not typically lend well to being able to pickup the phone and speak with a qualified network admin.

• pnomsterpnomster Member
    edited September 2015

@incero: Budget aside.

• Softlayer?

• @pnomster said:
    incero: Budget aside.

If budget doesn't matter, go dedicated.

Thanked by 1SpeedyKVM
  • TheOnlyDKTheOnlyDK Member
    edited September 2015

Softlayer is good, if budget isn't an issue, you can choose rackspace as well. Or more lowend ones like Vultr digitalocean or Quadranet. I think Quadranet has phone but not Vultr or digitalocean, but in general their tickets are answered fast, rarely need them anyways.

Thanked by 1lostinwoods
  • Thanks for recommending Softlayer. I've researched Rackspace quite a bit and there seems to be a number of routine performance issues.

• pnomsterpnomster Member
    edited September 2015

BTW, if your company has 3 Twitter followers, please don't PM a quote for your high quality VPS solution.

Thanked by 1MikeA
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited September 2015

@pnomster said:
    BTW, if your company has 3 Twitter followers, please don't PM a quote for your high quality VPS solution.

Maybe Limestone Networks? I'm not sure how reliable you're looking for, but their ticket replies are less than 5-10 minutes anytime day or night from my past experience. One of the best companies I have ever used. Of course, this being with you saying "budget aside". You said west + east coast but they are in central U.S. (Dallas) and have considerable ping to EU/Oceanic for being a central location.

• @pnomster said:

...because notoriety in social media equals quality and service.

• Check out Cyberwurx in ATL. They have support 24/7 and you may be able strike a pretty good deal with a budget.

I have had lots of blips with rackspaces email hosting lately. Wouldn't go that route.

Softlayer will be nice, but a premium. Their bandwidth recently got very expensive so I would watch it.

Another alternative is Leaseweb, which has 40% off right now and has a large support team with value prices. They had VPS issues earlier, which is why I would advise you to go dedicated.

• PhotonVPSPhotonVPS Member, Host Rep

Any location in mind?

How much DDoS mitigation are you looking for?

• @pnomster said:

go with katyperry hosting. she has 75m followers.

• @pnomster said:
    Hello, working for a (well) funded startup in SF and we're looking to move to new infrastructure for a WordPress website. We're currently at a high-end VPS provider (Linode) but not liking the random dropped packets and routine DDOS attacks that leave noticeable performance marks.

I'm looking for a high quality, first class provider. One that I can call, phone, email, etc, and have a fast reply from an experienced network admin. Thanks for your feedback.

Just a Wordpress site?

Rackspace guarantee100% uptime

http://www.rackspace.co.uk/cloud-deployments/wordpress-hosting

• Amazon EC2, get the free tier for a year.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

Hows GoogleCloud these days?

• @nexmark said:
    Amazon EC2, get the free tier for a year.

One can't run large production site and databases on the free tier.

Will give that a look but as you guarantees aren't reality. Wonder how much we can tune our specific environment or if this is essentially shared hosting.

• Softlayer are good. LiquidWeb are just as good and cheaper.

• linuxthefishlinuxthefish Member
    edited September 2015

Softlayer phone support doesn't know what reverse DNS delegation means! Luckily 100TB does.

• @pnomster said:

You do realize Twitter has ZERO effect on service right? We host thousands (literally) of customers and have almost no Twitter presence...are you saying we don't offer a "high quality"???

In any case go ahead and Look up LiquidWeb. They'll give you pretty much one of the best networks available in the USA, plus phone, live chat, and ticket support are all offered... Your max wait time at any time of day will be maybe 1 minute, tops.

• If HA is your concern, go to a cloud service provider like aws, azure, rackspace will justify the premium. Something, like upstream network outage, brown out are still out of experienced network admins' control.

• Is this just for WP hosting?

I'll PM you, this would fit nicely on our ScalePress platform, fully scalable and load balanced WP deployment in our cloud, backed by F5 Load Balancers, Arista Switching, and SolidFire SSD SAN :)

We're not cheap, but it's Enterprise, It's HA, and it's not going to have cheap drops like Linode

• Its for giving VPSes away. Not hosting

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited September 2015

pnomster said: I'm looking for a high quality, first class provider. One that I can call, phone, email, etc, and have a fast reply from an experienced network admin.

pnomster said: Budget aside.

You want all this but joined a site called Lowendtalk today to ask where you can get it. Seems legit.

Thanked by 1mehargags
  • hawchawc Moderator, LIR

Going to suggest @Ernie might be able to sort something out for you. Fantastic guy, good servers and nice support

• singsingsingsing Member
    edited September 2015

pnomster said: One that I can call, phone, email, etc, and have a fast reply from an experienced network admin.

AWS has paid support available, not sure if they take phone calls though. I have never bought their support myself, and never experienced an issue that could clearly be traced to be AWS' fault.

Why do you need to pester someone by phone, anyways? Having an experienced network admin available to you for cold-calling by phone is going to cost you an arm and a leg anywhere you try.

I left AWS because it was burning holes in my pocket. I budgeted for the instance hours, but there's a lot that gets tacked on extra and eventually it was a saving to get a cheap dedicated server and partition it myself into VMs for isolation.

Expensive as it is, I must admit that I have never felt that my stuff was running as solid as when I had it on AWS.

• nexmark said: Amazon EC2, get the free tier for a year.

That only has 15GB bandwidth per month.. right?

And more outages than my kidechire :p (which has not had a single one)

• 4n0nx said: And more outages than my kidechire :p (which has not had a single one)

Only a matter of time ;)