Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Single stream with transcoding, Plex capable vps
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Single stream with transcoding, Plex capable vps

My home server is down, that I was using to store videos , mostly kids stuff for my son and run plex to steam to my tv.

I would like to find a vps that is capable of supporting a plex server with a single steam that is up to 1080p and transcoded.
The first system that I found is a single dedicated core with 3gb ram, and can only do 720, and even then still struggles.

I don't need much storage, since I plan on having a second storage server for the files (500gb +).
Within the US would be great, but not required if the price is right to use a data center elsewhere.

Since this is LET... I am wanting to stay under $7/month

Comments

• Try vultr, if youre lucky get an good cpu core (e5?).

• hostnoobhostnoob Member
    edited September 2015

@Die_Quelle said:
    Try vultr, if youre lucky get an good cpu core (e5?).

It's an E3 you want for single core performance

But yeah Vultr is good for CPU usage, never had problems running gameservers, etc. Just keep deploying and destroying instances until you get one on a node with an E3

There's also AbusiveCores by dr.server and I think delimitervps do a dedicated CPU core plan @markturner

• I use an i3 Kimsufi - it can do 1 stream transcoded, or 5+ (haven't tested more) with direct stream, direct play is pretty much only capped at your bandwidth.

If you can find better source files and do a direct play or direct stream then you won't need to abuse the CPU as much and pretty much anything will do.

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member
    edited September 2015

Die_Quelle said: Try vultr, if youre lucky get an good cpu core (e5?).

E5 is a terrible core for single. (unless it's that 3.7Ghz quad core one which performs exactly the same as most higher end E3)

• You know, direct play is better quality than transcoding. And direct play doesn't use any of the cpu to stream either. If your home connection is fast enough (depending on what you're streaming, 1-15mbps for regular TV hdtv or webdl 1GB-3GB rips, 10-15 bluray 5GB rips, or for the movies and shows that are full bluray rips being 8-17GB per episode or 20-40GB movie, then it'll be 27mbps to 40mbps. If your internet is fast enough no need to transcode, and no need to have a powerful cpu. If you will be the only one using the plex server then get a server near your location. ask the host for a download file and make sure you get your max speeds to it.

• camjac251 said: You know, direct play is better quality than transcoding. And direct play doesn't use any of the cpu to stream either. If your home connection is fast enough (depending on what you're streaming

needs to be a compatible format firstly.

• @TarZZ92 said:

My files are in several formats and would to much time to convert them all to a unified format, to avoid having to transcode.

Bandwidth at home is also not an issue. I have a consistent 100+ mbps connection.

• We have some customers using our dedicated core VPS for this.

Dedicated X5650 Core, 1GB RAM, 40GB HDD, 1TB BW $6.50

https://clients.delimitervps.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=176

• camjac251camjac251 Member
    edited September 2015

@TarZZ92 said:

Depending on what client you use for playing, you'll be fine. Your files should mainly be h264 in an mp4 or mkv container.

@gtech said:
    Bandwidth at home is also not an issue. I have a consistent 100+ mbps connection.

What do you stream plex to? devices that view plex content

• @camjac251 said:
    What do you stream plex to? devices that view plex content

I have a chromecast that I play to from the Plex app. It keeps things as simple as possible

• @gtech said:
    I have a chromecast that I play to from the Plex app. It keeps things as simple as possible

Chromecast offers terrible quality with Plex. Roku is a nice option.