Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Projects that need bandwidth / mirrors?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Projects that need bandwidth / mirrors?

scyscy Member

Hey

I've an (almost) unused online box that could be of help to some projects I believe.

CPU is slow, but there is quite some bandwidth that can be used.

Is there any projects around there that might need some bandwidth? Free software projects that lack mirrors?

Thanks, LET!

Comments

• A Kidéchire?

I remember CyanogenMod.org looking for mirrors but couldn't find the link right now.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

Isn't Cyanogen now a commercial project which got a fuckton of money from partners? If so, they could pay for their mirrors...

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

ArchiveTeam could always use help :)

For a server, you probably want to run manual scripts, rather than the Warrior VM - feel free to drop into #archiveteam on EFNet IRC to ask about currently running projects, and what project needs most help.

I'm currently working on cross-distribution packages (using Nix), but that might take a while to get running... there are distribution-specific copy-pastable setup instructions on every "manual script" repository, though.

• @Nyr said:
    Isn't Cyanogen now a commercial project which got a fuckton of money from partners? If so, they could pay for their mirrors...

Would be new to me? But if so - sure they can pay the bandwidth themselves then.

• I agree with @joepie91.

If @scy or anyone else has some spare CPU cycles or resources, then please consider assisting the ArchiveTeam or similar projects.

Without such projects, a ton of Internet history (the beneficial/helpful kind, not the unsavoury kind) would have easily been completely lost or forgotten by now.

• http://www.pool.ntp.org/en/join.html

Make sure you secure your NTP by appending

##custom add to fix NTP amplification attacks
    disable monitor
    restrict default nomodify nopeer noquery notrap
    restrict -6 default nomodify nopeer noquery notrap                                              

to /etc/ntp.conf

• nexusrain said: I remember CyanogenMod.org looking for mirrors but couldn't find the link right now.

I've offered them help more than once but never got a response to my e-mails. Guess they didn't want the help.

• scyscy Member

Thanks guys, will check that out.

An NTP server sounds nice even though it won't use much bandwidth :-) ArchiveTeam has many project, will see if one fits what I believe in.

Streaming something or mirroring an opensource project would be nice but seems like most project have more than enough mirrors to really need more - and the pricing for streaming solutions has so much gone down that it seems like people don't need as much help as few years ago...

• DylanDylan Member
    edited August 2015

@mpkossen said:
    I've offered them help more than once but never got a response to my e-mails. Guess they didn't want the help.

Cyanogen's up to something like $115 million in funding now. I'm gonna guess they don't need the help.