Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Digital Ocean Delaying VAT Collection Until October 2015
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Digital Ocean Delaying VAT Collection Until October 2015

LeeLee Veteran
edited August 2015 in Providers

Just got this.

Hi there,

We heard from our customers that we didn’t provide adequate notice about beginning to charge VAT on DigitalOcean usage. Due to this feedback, we have decided to delay VAT collection until October 2015 (for usage in September 2015). This also allows for extended time for our customers to enter VAT IDs.

We understand that compliance is very important, and we want you to be clear that you have no current VAT liability and will have no liability for usage in the month of August. If you have a VAT ID that you have not yet entered, you can enter it on your billing page: https://cloud.digitalocean.com/settings/billing

If you do not have a VAT ID, no action is needed from you at this time. You will begin to see VAT charges on your October invoice for September usage.

Let us know if you have any questions, we're here to help!

Thank you,
DigitalOcean Support

Comments

• I don't get it anyway - US company should give no shit about EU laws, and any US court will confirm that,

• I see VAT has been removed from my invoice, it was previously visible a few days ago.

I found it weird that they were charging VAT on promotional credits, paying tax to a foreign country for sales that don't exist.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

kcaj said: charging VAT on promotional credits, paying tax to a foreign country for sales that don't exist.

Priceless. :D

• kcaj said: I found it weird that they were charging VAT on promotional credits, paying tax to a foreign country for sales that don't exist.

Too much generosity

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

kcaj said: charging VAT on promotional credits, paying tax to a foreign country for sales that don't exist.

Not even Aruba did this :)
    But DO is an US company, they can be excused for having few clues about how VAT works.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@kcaj said:
    I found it weird that they were charging VAT on promotional credits