Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for recommendations
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for recommendations

EmjayenEmjayen Member
edited August 2015 in Requests

Greetings,

I'm looking to deploy a network of game-server nodes across the globe of which have the following common hardware requirements:

• 40Mbps uplink
  • 50GB data transfer
  • 128MB system memory
  • 4GB storage (SSD is not required)

In the case of a dedicated server (preferred):

• Max $20USD/mo.
  • Any processor acceptable (Intel preferred)
  • Must not be prohibited to install Windows Server 2012 (already legitimately licensed)

In the case of a VPS:

• Max $10USD/mo.
  • Minimally 2 vCPU (more are highly preferred, however)
  • Must be container/OS-layer virtualization such as OpenVZ
  • Must not be over-subscribed; software is soft real-time and thus has timing deadlines.
  • *nix (CentOS preferred)

As for the provider in general:

• Minimal network latency/jitter is essential.
  • Must have geographically diverse hosting locations including:

• North America
    • Europe (Scandinavian region preferred)
    • SE Asia (Singapore preferred)
    • NE Asia (Japan or Hong Kong preferred)
    • Australia desirable
  • DDoS protection highly desirable.

• Must accept Australian citizens.

This is just a cursory evaluation to see what's available; services wont be required for a few months yet while the server software is developed.

I've been lurking lowendbox for quite some time some and so am already familiar with a few providers that meet my requirements (mostly) and have had generally positive feedback (from you guys, mainly):

• Kimisurf (still hasn't replied to query regarding locations)
  • ServerDragon
  • CatalystHost

The greatest concern with the VPS path is over-subscription; if userland buffer -> physical NIC (terrible oversimplification) is anything more than ~100μs it's totally unacceptable.

Additionally, VPS's tend to tier their pricing based on bandwidth/storage/memory which doesn't match the qualities I'm interested in (which is more about processor time/vCPUs) and is thus financially inefficient.

Thanks,

Matt.

Comments

• bersybersy Member
    edited August 2015

Emjayen said: 128MB system memory

Emjayen said: Must not be prohibited to install Windows Server 2012 (already legitimately licensed)

How do you figure it to yourself? Moreover Windows is not supported as for OpenVZ.

You are looking for multi-location Resource Bundle, something like https://wable.com/, are you?

ServerDragon is a good pick anyway.

• Looks like we can help.
    Although we do offer a tier pricing based on bandwidth/storage/memory , we also offer custom plans, so you can choose more CPU and less bandwidth if you need.
    We cover North America (New York City), Europe (Germany or Switzerland), Singapore , Hong Kong and New Zealand (about 30ms to Australia).

• EmjayenEmjayen Member
    edited August 2015

vpsnine said: Looks like we can help. Although we do offer a tier pricing based on bandwidth/storage/memory , we also offer custom plans, so you can choose more CPU and less bandwidth if you need. We cover North America (New York City), Europe (Germany or Switzerland), Singapore , Hong Kong and New Zealand (about 30ms to Australia).

Will certainly add you to the shortlist. Also, could you give me an idea of the container : physical server ratio your service has?

bersy said: How do you figure it to yourself? Moreover Windows is not supported as for OpenVZ.

You are looking for multi-location Resource Bundle, something like https://wable.com/, are you?

ServerDragon is a good pick anyway.

Windows only applies if it's a dedicated server option.

Thanks for the suggestion however anything marketed as "cloud" is an automatic no.

• The container density does vary by location, types of hardware, client needs ,etc
    Is not something we can be specific about.
    I will say we will happily refund if the performance does not meet your requirements

Thanked by 1Emjayen