Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you care how long a VPS server business has been around?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Do you care how long a VPS server business has been around?

How long does a company need to be around for you to trust them?

Comments

• I think it depends on the amount of data you are allowing them to store for you. When I first started out I used a very small company storing about 50GB of data for me as the months went past and turned into years I allowed them to store more for me until about 4 years in when I started my own company and am not storing my own data. I think small hosting companies are the best way more hands on and customer appreciative.

• at times adding more years to a business do not make 'em competent, it all depends on who you are dealing with.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

I like to see 2 or more years of good solid service from a provider before I trust them with anything serious. No guarantee obviously, but lessen the chances of them disappearing overnight. A lot of the dross is gone in 3-6 months.

Thanked by 1Dylan
  • JLPHOST said: I think small hosting companies are the best way more hands on and customer appreciative.

I wish everyone thought that way. I've seen several people (not on here) basically say they are a small company they won't last. Kind of discerning at first but I just blow it off when they say it now, because I don't really care if you think I will be around because I know that I plan / want to be around forever (because this is something that I enjoy doing and have for 20+ years) and the only thing that could change that would be if I didn't manage the money right (which I don't see that happening either since I'm such a tight a** :P ).

• I do.
    I wouldn't trust a newly founded vps "company".

They tend to run away a lot.
    Also, the age usually at least shows you that they are doing some things right to be still kicking even after years.

• I usually test out new companies by buying low end plans from them and see how long they last as you be surprise some companies that survive for so long might still be terrible.

• sinsin Member

I don't usually try out newly created companies much and I tend to stick to the more well known providers which has worked out for me because I've never had a VPS with a company that's ever disappeared or gone tits up (knock on wood). The very few times I did try out some budget new providers, the service ended up sucking big time within a few months.

• After trying out a few hundred, yes. 2 years is a good benchmark. It at least shows they didn't pile in with unsustainable offers in year 1.

• Absolutely for more "expensive" / serious stuff. If a provider is around since quite some time and mostly / only positive reviews you can't really go wrong with them and it's not likely that they'll just disappear with all your data and money like @phase7 did from one sec to the other without any announcement.

• Trust???? Never!!! You never know what will happen or when, as history in this field shows. The best can be bought out and go to crap over night.

• dwhsdwhs Member

Yeah, it's hard to trust anyone. Look at Godaddy. 2 years seems like a good benchmark to start with, sounds about right. Any less and you are basically a beta tester.

• I don't care.

• miaumiau Member

Have own physical infrastructure: auto trust.

• @miau said:
    Have own physical infrastructure: auto trust.

And runs their own network? Or a Colo?

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited August 2015

@Jonchun said:
    And runs their own network? Or a Colo?

Well, anyone can own two servers (both attached to a old switch). The two servers can communicate with each other, therefore forming a tiny network :)

• @doghouch said:
    Well, anyone can own two servers (both attached to a old switch). The two servers can communicate with each other, therefore forming a tiny network :)

You know what I meant :)

Thanked by 1doghouch
  • @Jonchun said:
    You know what I meant :)

... and the best part about this network is that I own all the IP space on it :3

• Very rarely, I do order vps from very recently launched companies also. But, I feel more confident with at-least one year old company as it is more time tested. Btw, I do check their history on different forums before placing an order.

• vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

I don't really care how they've been in business as long as they have a solid plan and stand out from the competition (for example custom control/customer panel).

UX is very important.

• I'm probably not your targeted user for this as a provider, so you can either disregard my opinion or take it with a grain of salt.

I think providers need to have an established track record and history. Knowing how long they've been in business is a serious indicator -- a lot of companies aren't very good when they're new, but they clean things up by the time they get some practice under their belts.

There's also no better assessment than real-world customers with real-world problems.

So, how long do I give them? Well, we've been operating for nearly a year, which makes us still a young provider. I'd say, 1-2 years before hosting any thing serious with them.

That (^ this guideline) is for consumer-grade stuff. When we shop around for our upstreams, we're looking for more than 1-2 years. We want to see real relationships with larger DC's (or, in the case of OVH, outright owning the whole place). We want to see honest folks answering our sales questions (a "yes man" is very telling of the overall operation of a company). We expect to see 3-4 years operating history. Signs of growth are optimal, as it lets us know we're not putting equipment in a sinking ship.

Thanked by 1sin
  • LordSpockLordSpock Member, Host Rep

I'd sign up with new providers - but wouldn't store anything that I would want to rely on, maybe a cheap little forum or a file server with unimportant files...