Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What does Solus lack for you?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What does Solus lack for you?

Hello,

Just curious as I'm building a new control panel which I intend to be open source and in python (yes not seen one yet). I was wondering is there and client features missing from solus that you want to see?

Thanked by 1MeanServers

Comments

• Reseller features.

Reseller branding. (We had to develop our own extension to enable reseller branding)

Template documentation

Other than that. I don't think any other panel could match with their support. One of the best support from a company we have got. (+1 Solusvm)

• MuZoMuZo Member

open source and in python (yes not seen one yet).

WebVirtMgr - libvirt/KVM, could be a starting point

• @MuZo said:
    WebVirtMgr - libvirt/KVM, could be a starting point

OpenVZ, Xen and KVM. Like solus but in python.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Hourly daily weekly billing

• gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

@TinyTunnel_Tom said:
    OpenVZ, Xen and KVM. Like solus but in python.

Have a nice year :P

Perso. Good management of migration (even on customer side). More detailled stats for nodes.

• @AnthonySmith said:
    Hourly daily weekly billing

This was coming into part 2. Billing. Quite looking into it ;)

• Haha got most of it built now. I can agree to on that.

Thanked by 1gestiondbi
  • Security.

Thanked by 1Nixtren
  • A reseller API.

Solus has been lacking that for years.

• It lacks being free

Thanked by 1Dean
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Own ISO is the most pressing issue.
    Own templates, snapshots, better node management and alarms, etc.

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited August 2015

Hmm, I have a few up my sleeve:

• useful updates
    • template documentation
    • more node information (I mean, I had to modify write a extension for SolusVM a bit so I would get a nice email notification when a node hit 90% capacity)

For the reseller CP, it needs much more work (I mean like a complete revamp of the entire thing). Some suggestions:

• a reseller API (I mean cPanel has had one for many, many, many years... why not everyone's favorite VPS panel?)
    • branding options
    • template modification capability
    • custom ISOs
    • the ability to change the resources allocated to a server (RAM, CPU units, bandwidth, storage space, etcetera)

So, if your panel had these features @TinyTunnel_Tom, I'd be glad to use it if it doesn't look like an unthemed version of Solid (just make sure to make it WHMCS compatible) :)

• doghouch said: I had to modify SolusVM a bit so I would get a nice email notification when a node hit 90% capacity

How did you exactly do that?

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited August 2015

I wrote an extension, @techhelper1 :)

(and no, it won't be up for download)

• FlamesRunnerFlamesRunner Member
    edited August 2015

@techhelper1

I mean, it wouldn't be too hard if you used a cron job and a small bash script.

#!/bin/bash
    generalinfo=$(uptime)
    mempercent=$(free | awk 'FNR == 3 {print $3/($3+$4)*100}')
    if (( $(echo "$mempercent > 70" | bc -l) )); then
    #do something after memory usage gets too high (in this case, over 70% memory )
    echo "Warning: The node xxxxxx has reached $mempercent percent in memory usage."
    echo "CPU/Uptime: "
    echo "$generalinfo"
    else
    echo "Notice: The node is running normally, with the memory usage sitting at $mempercent."
    echo "CPU/Uptime: "
    echo "$generalinfo"
    fi

Save that as memcheck on the filesystem's root.

Add the cron job (crontab -e):

MAILTO="[email protected]"
    0 * * * * bash /memcheck

Every hour, you'll receive an email based on the server's resource usage.
    It may not be great, but it may help in certain situations to know this.

• Support for other Operating Systems other then RHEL

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • Thanks guys these are a few things I've spotted. However the reseller thing I've been looking into and yea I can agree. There will be support for other OSes I intend for it to be quite universal.

Own templates and ISO will be added. We plan to have a template desk where you can make templates out of your own VMs and upload existing ones.

Any hoo. Thanks guys keep them coming

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • branded/unbranded owned licenses

Thanked by 1TinyTunnel_Tom
  • @century1stop said:
    branded/unbranded owned licenses

Will be free and open source. No license small banner on bottom and nothing a little HTML can't edit. That's all we will add in.

Thanked by 1century1stop
  • SolusVM lacks good support, which would be difficult to have at an open source project. Why not charge a smaller fee like $7/m (just the price of a single Low end container) and be able to budget for proper support channels and the help of other developers? Also, developing a control panel like this is closely intertwined with system administration, so what happens if you need the help of a security expert (with it being open source, they could see the code, but that doesn't mean it will get a free audit)?

Just some questions to get you thinking. :)

• @HostMyBytes said:
    SolusVM lacks good support, which would be difficult to have at an open source project. Why not charge a smaller fee like $7/m (just the price of a single Low end container) and be able to budget for proper support channels and the help of other developers? Also, developing a control panel like this is closely intertwined with system administration, so what happens if you need the help of a security expert (with it being open source, they could see the code, but that doesn't mean it will get a free audit)?

Just some questions to get you thinking. :)

Many things are open source on a no support basis. However we are considering a support package like proxmox. Security audit will be done at my expense.

• Nice dream kid.

Thanked by 1Jonchun
  • ah, almost forget, a good auto backup, either as snapshot or .gz
    supports all disk image file formats :D

• @alexvolk said:
    Nice dream kid.

It was 3 months ago.

• Any ETA + screenshots?

• @FlamesRunner said:
    Any ETA + screenshots?

Not long. And not yet. Design it the one I want to change

• Will the design be responsive and will it be made with a framework or all homemade?

• Snapshot feature.

• @angrysnarl said:
    Snapshot feature.

Been on the list from day 1.

@TheLonely said:
    Will the design be responsive and will it be made with a framework or all homemade?

I hope to contact a few old mates and call in some favours.

Thanked by 2angrysnarl TheLonely
  • FlamesRunnerFlamesRunner Member
    edited August 2015

For me, SolusVM lacks a cloning machine, because jackhackett has a twin: alexvolt.

And your name is better why?