Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blocking P2P traffic
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Blocking P2P traffic

I have setup softether VPN on my dedi. I want to block P2P traffic on it. Anyway where I can atleast block most of the traffic.

Comments

• deployvmdeployvm Member, Host Rep

If you're on Windows, you could try blocklists? PeerBlock may be suitable..

• @deployvm said:
    If you're on Windows, you could try blocklists? PeerBlock may be suitable..

My clients will be on multiple OS and server is currently running on Debian. I want something which I can configure on Debian and it applies to all users who will be using my VPN.

• Blocking higher up TCP ports normally works

• Block common torrent ports on your firewall.
    That'ld stop most. If you want to completely block it you can try blocking all ports above 1024 but that'ld not be advised.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Nomad said: Block common torrent ports on your firewall. That'ld stop most. If you want to completely block it you can try blocking all ports above 1024 but that'ld not be advised.

It will also break a lot of functionality especially since there are many connections to be expected.
    Long ago I helped someone setup a "neighbourhood net", something was needed to prioritize traffic, so were using gibraltar DPI to prioritize packets, but at that time a poor socket A Duron was unable to do with an 100 mbps flow, it was ok at most for 40 mbps, we ended up splitting the load by buying more IPs for the same connections and doing a load balancing inside.

• simonindiasimonindia Member
    edited August 2015

@ankittulsian said:
    I have setup softether VPN on my dedi. I want to block P2P traffic on it. Anyway where I can atleast block most of the traffic.

You can use UFW to block the Outgoing ports except the necessary ports like 443,80,53,21,22
    (i know that u can run torrent on any port u desire but other methods are complicated)

But i will explain here i have this setup it is stable but i have improvised for ur scenario

This method will Pfsense great Open source Firewall software (You can find tutorials in youtube or Google or U can figure it out by reading manuals of pfsense)

Pls create KVM or Xen VPS inside ur dedi And then install Pfsense and configure it

(You can find tutorials in youtube or Google or U can figure it out by reading manuals of pfsense)

when every thing works u can use the following blog to setup torrent traffic block filter

https://web.archive.org/web/20150802185119/http://pfsensebuddy.weebly.com/blog/how-to-block-bittorrent-download-in-pfsense

There are many ways to block torrent but this one works for me i hope it works for you to

• i`m on ibvpn. Peerblock certainly has it's uses and it will offer some protection. But it might also block certain seedbox providers. It's blocking Leaseweb and a lot of VPNs for me. I'm astonished that the number of blocked IPs is so ENORMOUS! ...there are bound to be a lot of mistakes. When I download with my home connection from popular torrents I will use peerblock. I'll not use if for private trackers seeing that the chance of meeting MPAA there is somewhat low.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

jacklance said: i`m on ibvpn. Peerblock certainly has it's uses and it will offer some protection. But it might also block certain seedbox providers. It's blocking Leaseweb and a lot of VPNs for me. I'm astonished that the number of blocked IPs is so ENORMOUS! ...there are bound to be a lot of mistakes. When I download with my home connection from popular torrents I will use peerblock. I'll not use if for private trackers seeing that the chance of meeting MPAA there is somewhat low.

Have you even read the OP?