Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SolusVM Templates (KVM)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SolusVM Templates (KVM)

VPSSoldiersVPSSoldiers Member
edited August 2015 in Help

Ok, so I have heard people have troubles with SolusVM Templates so I decided to go the PXE route for now... But I still would like to offer template services. Every time I create a template (no matter the OS though I've only tried Cent6.6 Cent7 Ubuntu 14.04 and Debian Jessie) I get the following during the boot of the VPS created from the template.

Boot failed: Could not read the boot disk

No bootable device

I've followed the steps both on solusvm and various other tutorials and always end up with the same result. Any ideas?

Edit: The only error(?) I get in the build log is

MKSWAP => /dev/mapper/virt-machines-kvm124_img5: No such file or directory

Comments

• edited July 2015

Have you copied your template to both master and slave ? (If there any)

• @sdglhm said:
    Have you copied your template to both master and slave ? (If there any)

I did the touch method on the master, though I will try copying the actual template to the master too.

• Both master and slave should contain the copy of the template in respective folders. I learnt it in the hard way ;)

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • @sdglhm said:
    Both master and slave should contain the copy of the template in respective folders. I learnt it in the hard way ;)

I figured it would work the same as the ISOs since they work fine just making a blank file with the same filename on the master... Though I suppose as I grow it would be nice to have the master be able to push the files to the slaves when I add new servers.

• BTW, have you configured your template generation correctly. I received the same on one of our older nodes because it was using 1 instead of 2

• Yes I used gen 2 on all of them, I haven't messed with gen 1 but will when I do bsd.

• I found it's easier to use /scripts/kvmtemplate

• Thats what I used.

• Same error when template is on the master too.

• Check if the VM is still preparing. It sometimes take a while to get prepared.

• Re reading the build log I see this:

guestmount: no operating system was found on this disk

But the VM I created it from still boots fine.

• SolusVMSolusVM Member, Host Rep

Put a support ticket in and ask for Phill. It's late in the UK so it may be a few hours before he can assist.

• I already created one, I'm trying something different per Shyva (though I think I already tried this suggestion) if that doesn't work I will ask for Phill.

• BharatBBharatB Member, Patron Provider

If it was virtualizor , it would transfer template on its own if there isn't a copy of it over there. True automation when compared to solusvm.

• The problem was all on me it appears, since I was creating swap as a logical partition instead of a primary one. I could of sworn I tried that before... Oh well its working now.

• While I'm waiting for support to respond I was curious if anyone else has had this issue.

When creating a VM with a template it works just fine, but if you delete the VM (and this is only happening when the VM was created with a template) it doesn't delete the LV that went along with the VM. When this happens if you add another VM it will install and work fine other than the previous VM's vhdd size still applies so Solus thinks that the user has a 40GB vhdd in reality the LV is only 20GB (or whatever the previous size was). Solus also will show a ISO as mounted but when you boot the VM it doesn't recognize it.

• VPSSoldiersVPSSoldiers Member
    edited August 2015

This has been solved by SolusVM support, my LVG name is virt-machines which was causing issues with the mappings.

mappings contain extra hyphens (virt--machines-kvm126_img)

So if someone else were to run into this error and have a hyphenated LVG name, this could be the cause. I would suggest if you can to change your name so it is not hyphenated, otherwise support was able to fix this for me with some code changes.

I've made a few changes (to our code to cope with the double hyphen).

I have asked if this will be rolled into their packages and will update upon a response.

Edit: I received a response from support just for future reference

It's added to the core so it won't break on updates :)