Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who do you trust your business with?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Who do you trust your business with?

CoastHostingCoastHosting Member, Host Rep

Hi All,

I run an I.T company and run my own hardware based with virtual machines based in New Zealand Vocus data centre i feel safe knowing it's 30mins drive away to the rack. However New Zealand is expensive with Broadband, Data and Hardware.

I have thought about moving some of my business around the globe however there are so many dedicated server providers out there and obviously signing up to a company that is on lowendbox my jist of the whole thing are that there are a lot of cowboys around startups and to be honest i feel i could not trust many on lowendbox.

Call me stupid but... Rackspace, Webair, Softlayer, Quadrant are some of the big players in the market yes more expensive but is that because they are better at protecting your data and you can trust them?

Keen to hear your thoughts and other providers you would trust putting all your hard earned cash into.

Dave

Comments

• Getting kicked out of Quadranet/LA is definitely a common thing. I've personally seen it myself with a past provider I worked for, heard it from a guy in the industry in a similar circumstance and from time to time, we see it posted on here/WHT.

• CoastHostingCoastHosting Member, Host Rep

@doughmanes said:
    Getting kicked out of Quadranet/LA is definitely a common thing. I've personally seen it myself with a past provider I worked for, heard it from a guy in the industry in a similar circumstance and from time to time, we see it posted on here/WHT.

Right i have a few dealings with Duncan from Quadranet...seems very helpful the network is blistering fast.... why kicked out?

• I can't recall it was quite some time ago, possibly "abuse related". If you're going to be in any kind of public "hosting" business, you'll have abuse. I talk to the guy I heard it from his experience regularly, I'll ask him next time which will be the next day or two.

• I think it's more about what you need, and go from there.

While there are a lot of 'one man bands' on LET, there are more established companies too. You'll pay a premium at say, rackspace, so they can pay thousands of staff to sit on the phone and tell you how important you are to them :)

@dediserve said:
    I think it's more about what you need, and go from there.

While there are a lot of 'one man bands' on LET, there are more established companies too. You'll pay a premium at say, rackspace, so they can pay thousands of staff to sit on the phone and tell you how important you are to them :)

Hey Dediserve,

knew you would comment i have vps with you and currently trialling you in the sydney area.. so far so good... How do you compare infrastructure wise to rackspace...ur customer support is great i give you that.

Thanked by 1dediserve
  • KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2015

I prefer to keep my personal hardware within driving distance also but I've been extremely pleased with Dacentec over how they've grown in the past few years and after having quite a few dedicated servers with them, then moving some of my business hardware over to them a few months ago, I have my personal server in transit to them now also (which says something because I have a cabinet in a much higher end data center about 45 minutes from my house where I'm moving back to next week). After much debating I opted to ship my server to a different state rather than down the street due to costs but I wouldn't have even considered it if I didn't trust them and I didn't have years worth of logs depicting their network stability.

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • Simply, we're better :)

We focus on enterprise hardware and platforms, with great support, but at price points more in line with the budget providers like DigitalOcean / Linode / vps.net etc.

By building only HP Blade server clusters with datacenter SSD's we've built a reputation for solid performance and rock solid reliability over the last 6 years.

On a simple benchmark basis, our clouds are faster than almost anyone else out there, and (humbly) blow rackspace out of the water.

The larger hosters are our primary source of business, we offer free migrations in also!

@KuJoe said:
    I prefer to keep my personal hardware within driving distance also but I've been extremely pleased with Dacentec over how they've grown in the past few years and after having quite a few dedicated servers with them, then moving some of my business hardware over to them a few months ago, I have my personal server in transit to them now also (which says something because I have a cabinet in a much higher end data center about 45 minutes from my house where I'm moving back to next week). After much debating I opted to ship my server to a different state rather than down the street due to costs but I wouldn't have even considered it if I didn't trust them and I didn't have years worth of logs depicting their network stability.

Very interesting i did trial a dedicated server just a cheapy $25 however i found network slow 700KB down most times speed tests were around 60mbps local area so yeah i lost faith... in saying that the hardware stayed up 100% over the month of trailing but no use if network is slow

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2015

@davenz said:
    Very interesting i did trial a dedicated server just a cheapy $25 however i found network slow 700KB down most times speed tests were around 60mbps local area so yeah i lost faith... in saying that the hardware stayed up 100% over the month of trailing but no use if network is slow

Strange, never seen it that slow before. I have seen slowness in the past but it's normally resolved within a minute. I should write up a proper review of all the data centers I've used with some real data.

Thanked by 1Maounique

@dediserve said:
    Simply, we're better :)

We focus on enterprise hardware and platforms, with great support, but at price points more in line with the budget providers like DigitalOcean / Linode / vps.net etc.

By building only HP Blade server clusters with datacenter SSD's we've built a reputation for solid performance and rock solid reliability over the last 6 years.

On a simple benchmark basis, our clouds are faster than almost anyone else out there, and (humbly) blow rackspace out of the water.

The larger hosters are our primary source of business, we offer free migrations in also!

Do you offer Dedicated servers in Australia or primarily a VPS provider.. Like i said so far so good with your service and support...i noticed Universal use you without elaborating too much whats your role for them?

Thanked by 1dediserve
  • @davenz said:
    Do you offer Dedicated servers in Australia or primarily a VPS provider.. Like i said so far so good with your service and support...i noticed Universal use you without elaborating too much whats your role for them?

We offer purely cloud IAAS (which in 99% of use cases is superior to any cheaper dedicated server) . We're launching a new site on Monday which will add Hybrid (dedicated hardware) and private clouds, as well as load balancer clusters to our standard offerings.

• jhjh Member

Support and professionalism are better with the major players. Uptime isn't.

@dediserve said:
    We offer purely cloud IAAS (which in 99% of use cases is superior to any cheaper dedicated server) . We're launching a new site on Monday which will add Hybrid (dedicated hardware) and private clouds, as well as load balancer clusters to our standard offerings.

Will that speed up your current control panel ;)....and the universal thing?

Thanked by 1dediserve
  • The issue with the panel is that it's in London. We're working on a project at the moment to distribute it (not remotely as easy as it sounds :) ) Like we've done with our website.

In the mean time, you can use your API Credentials to access directly the local backend in Sydney - just drop the support team a ticket if you need any help with that!

We have over 5000 customers, running some 100,000 VMs in 15 clouds from 123 countries - but unfortunately I'm not allowed publicly comment on any of them :)

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

I would not fix what's not broken. And not go to companies that show presence on LET if my business depends on it.

anyone used Crazy Domains VPS.... i know there shared platform for websites is really bad and they loose peoples data

• cassacassa Member

If you want to be really secure, go with CyberBunker

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited July 2015

dediserve said: running some 100,000 VMs in 15 clouds from 123 countries

All your DCs ASNs combined (excluding ranges i know are not assigned to you) do barely have 100k IPs - So how do you do that? I know for fact that Austria (DataSix/Anexia, with IP space from a German company) is only a single /24 and Germany is not much more.

Thanked by 2alexvolk zemigpt
  • I don't recommend you take any advice on LET on where to host your business. There is a lot of really vocal 'new' users that recommend some pretty nasty garbage.

Thanked by 1GIANT_CRAB

@JoeMerit said:
    I don't recommend you take any advice on LET on where to host your business. There is a lot of really vocal 'new' users that recommend some pretty nasty garbage.

It's more creating a scope of options out there.

• ScionScion Member

The bottom line is you can't know who to trust just by looking at their website or even their reviews. There is a huge amount of choice in the VPS market from the EC2s and Linodes of the world down to the smallest one man outfits and they have a huge number of differentiating factors. You need to understand what your particular needs are, do some research and try to strike a balance that fits. Try a few providers out and see what you like.

One person providers aren't bad if that one person is good at what he or she does, but if you need your support ticket answered within 5 minutes 24/7 then maybe that's not going to be a good fit. The owner's gotta sleep sometime. That might be the guy who will go way out of his way to help you get your stuff set up or cut you a special deal though.

The AWSes of the world are comparatively expensive and they might answer your ticket fast but they aren't going to go out of their way to help you with your oddball problem or teach you what you need to know. They're going to copy and paste a canned answer out of their binder and move on to the other thousand tickets in their queue. But they do have more ability to scale than just about any provider out there. If you're pretty self sufficient or have a large budget, that might be a better answer for you than a LET host.

A lot of LET hosts are somewhere in between. They do 24/7 support, they own more than just one server in one location, and they will take the time to actually help you. Others aren't as good and are oversold or have other major problems. A lot are "summer hosts" where the guy doesn't know what he's doing but thinks hosting VPSes would be easy money. It can be tough to tell who's who.

One huge benefit of LET and LEB is that you can talk to the providers directly and ask them about their businesses. See if you get along with the owners and staff, see if other people have nice things to say about them, and gather enough information to make a good decision.

Thanked by 2dediserve kkrajk
  • @William said:
    All your DCs ASNs combined (excluding ranges i know are not assigned to you) do barely have 100k IPs - So how do you do that? I know for fact that Austria (DataSix/Anexia, with IP space from a German company) is only a single /24 and Germany is not much more.

Thanks for your interest ! Our primary business is in hosting other providers, and the majority of our clouds run on IP ranges not associated with us at all, in addition to ranges that are whitelabelled for partners on our public platforms :)

• HostNunHostNun Member
    edited July 2015

If your curiosity is piqued but trust is an issue, sign up with a host from LET for non-production purposes and don't host anything of importance. Test the waters and get a feel for the service. You may be pleasantly surprised. If not, most will have a reasonable money back guarantee, so there's probably nothing to lose.

I understand the cautious/conservative approach and the fear of getting burned, but the hosting market will get boring pretty quickly if you don't give some of the smaller players a chance. If they're truly terrible, the negative reviews will finish 'em off in the long run.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited July 2015

dediserve said: Thanks for your interest ! Our primary business is in hosting other providers, and the majority of our clouds run on IP ranges not associated with us at all, in addition to ranges that are whitelabelled for partners on our public platforms :)

That still does not explain why Anexia/DataSix only announces barely more than a /24 for you (and i know that there is no "whitelabel" space there either as i monitor their announces as with any any Austrian provider) - Sorry but i highly doubt your 100k number.

I also monitor your ASN in AU and HK and do not see any noticeable higher prefix count in the last 12 months there either - only a bunch of /24s, nothing else.

Thanked by 1alexvolk
  • AltAlt Member
    edited July 2015

@William: you know what "VM" are? You don't need an IPv4 public address for each... @dediserve may have 100k VM but just a few public IPv4 addresses to use with all of them.

• Alt said: @William: you know what "VM" are? You don't need an IPv4 public address for each... @dediserve may have 100k VM but just a few public IPv4 addresses to use with all of them.

On a factor of x100+? I i highly doubt that.

sdglhm said: IPv6 ;)

I did not see any increase in v6 announce in their AT, AU and HK locations either.

• @4n0nx said:
    I would . . . not go to companies that show presence on LET if my business depends on it.

Mere presence on LET means a host is incapable of being dependable to the demographic your business resides in? Isn't that a bit absurdly dismissive?

Thanked by 1Scion
  • gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

Personnaly, I would recommand Quadranet and Choopa. Fast support anytime, good reliability and good network.

But, I don't care to pay a bit more and have support and knowledge than pay $49/mo and need to wait 2 weeks for a simple hardware reboot or server provisioning......

Thanked by 1QuadraNet_Adam
  • @davidgestiondbi 2 weeks? Are you just worrying out loud or did that actually happen?