Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone with android rom experience?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone with android rom experience?

rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

Hello,

Ive got the lenovo a560 (its crap, but i need a non-camera phone for a reason). Do you know if I can load lollipop on this device? If so, how?

All google is throwing at me is random things and ads all over the place.

Please let me know.

Thanks.

Comments

• NeoXiDNeoXiD Member
    edited July 2015

The download links require you to fill out surveys, so 99% it's just a 'scam'. That phone model gets absolutely no support on XDA, Cyanogen also doesn't even list that phone... Never heard of that model before and it might get really hard to find a Lollipop ROM, if one should even exist. Couldn't find anything useful with a quick search.

Why don't you buy another phone and just use some dark, thick, black tape to cover the camera(s)?

Thanked by 1netomx
  • MuZoMuZo Member

@NeoXiD said:
    Why don't you buy another phone and just use some dark, thick, black tape to cover the camera(s)?

Sorry didn't checked as I'm on mobile. Yeah probably better to get another phone where you are sure it is supported.

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

NeoXiD said: Why don't you buy another phone and just use some dark, thick, black tape to cover the camera(s)?

Unfortunately, it is not allowed. It has to be a phone with absolutely no camera. We can't even use a phone with removed cameras or taped cameras :(

• varwwwvarwww Member

@rsk said:

Which work environment is this? Military?

• NeoXiDNeoXiD Member
    edited July 2015

@varwww said:

Probably, or some other high security area. Took a bit more time to google and found a few non-camera phones (really hard to get those, especially with Android) but couldn't find a single one which got a more recent version than Android 4.4. Maybe there will be a better nc-phone available when Lollipop 5 is a bit older? A lot of newer smartphones still don't have it.

EDIT: Ha, found one, the iNO 3 - preorder phase currently (where you'd even have to pick up the phone personally), but as far as I can tell it will be available for shipment later on. Costs ~350$ though, but it doesn't have a camera and comes with Lollipop.

EDIT2: Searched a bit further for A560 lollipop ROM but it seems that no efforts exist to port Lollipop to this device. Maybe the manufacturer, but... wouldn't put my hopes too much into that. All I was able to find are a lot of scam sites which require you to do surveys or whatever.

• I've modified roms in the past. If you can dump it, send it my way and I'll see what I can do.

• NeoXiDNeoXiD Member
    edited July 2015

@Rallias said:
    I've modified roms in the past. If you can dump it, send it my way and I'll see what I can do.

It would probably run quite sluggish, 512MB RAM is the absolute minimum to run Lollipop. Also, you'd probably have to build Lollipop from source and include all the device-specific driver blobs and customizations. Probably nearly impossible to port to that device unless you have the phone yourself (as it requires a lot of testing), sill worth a try though. :)

• @NeoXiD said:

Not worth the work, OP should sell phone and move on to better options out there like a Moto E or one of those Blu phones

• NeoXiDNeoXiD Member

@nexmark said:

Yeah, that's what I also suggest. It's just not thaaaat easy, don't forget the requirement a few posts above that the phone isn't allowed to have a camera ;) Only found the iNO 3 myself (no camera, lollipop - but still preorder).

• @NeoXiD said:
    Yeah, that's what I also suggest. It's just not thaaaat easy, don't forget the requirement a few posts above that the phone isn't allowed to have a camera ;) Only found the iNO 3 myself (no camera, lollipop - but still preorder).

You can always tape the front and back cameras with a little tape or something :)

• NeoXiDNeoXiD Member

@nexmark said:

To quote the OP: Unfortunately, it is not allowed. It has to be a phone with absolutely no camera. We can't even use a phone with removed cameras or taped cameras :( Seems like such requirements are necessary in specific military departments.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @NeoXiD said:
    To quote the OP: Unfortunately, it is not allowed. It has to be a phone with absolutely no camera. We can't even use a phone with removed cameras or taped cameras :( Seems like such requirements are necessary in specific military departments.

Ah yes, gotta make it hard for those whistleblowers

• A blockphone/modular phone would come in handy here (etas on project ara are unknown as far as I knuw of)

• NeoXiDNeoXiD Member

@TheLonely said:
    A blockphone/modular phone would come in handy here (etas on project ara are unknown as far as I knuw of)

Well, then the military could say... wait, you just have to smuggle a small camera module in your pockets and you can already take pictures. :o Shoot at sight! Seems like they only accept models which don't have the necessary wiring at all.