Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Review: Hudson Valley Host Dedicated Servers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Review: Hudson Valley Host Dedicated Servers

agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

The Server

The dedicated server I purchased from Hudson Valley Host has the following specs:

CPU model :  Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E31240 @ 3.30GHz
Number of cores : 8
CPU frequency :  1836.914 MHz
Total amount of ram : 16039 MB
Total amount of swap : 16371 MB

The specs were great and the price cannot be beat.

The Support

I've opened several tickets both for sales questions as well as technical questions and all of them are generally answered within the hour. If I can get a hold of @Ernie on skype, they get answered instantly.

I've always been happy with their support.

The Network

My server was provisioned with 10TB on a gigabit port. Here's the normal freevps benchmark:

Download speed from CacheFly: 111MB/s 
Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 43.1MB/s 
Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 40.5MB/s 
Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 8.15MB/s 
Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 16.9MB/s
Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 106MB/s 
Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 4.38MB/s 
Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 24.1MB/s 
Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 21.7MB/s 
Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 33.3MB/s 

I know Colo Crossings network gets a bad reputation but this server is in the Choopa data centre which has always seemed to do well for me and latency to Canada is ideal.

The Hardware

My only gripe would be the speed of the 1TB drive in this machine. The IO tops out at 71.2 MB/s or so but still totally useable.

Overall

Super happy with my budget dedicated server, and actually purchased another about 60 days into having the first. Always happy to wok with @Ernie and he's always willing to work out deals if you just have a chat with him.

In conclusion I'm a happy camper.

Comments

• Price?

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

$40

• ErnieErnie Patron Provider, Veteran

Thank you for the review. We appreciate it. If there is anything we can do to help lease let us know.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited July 2015

Are you sure is in the western hemisphere? Please post a traceroute or mtr.
    I ask because some numbers in the download speeds do not add up.

• What location? Yeah there can be some old drives but it varies.

• linuxthefish said: What location? Yeah there can be some old drives but it varies.

he said Choopa - So NJ.

• linuxthefish said: What location? Yeah there can be some old drives but it varies.

If you're on a ServerCentral mix, 2nd best of ColoCrossing selection. If you're on Choopa, #1 IMO. If you're in Buffalo, may god have mercy on your soul, that's the peanut gallery's home grown network.

I remember when it used to route odd and even IPs over different connections! (cough, older equipment w/o full tabeles, cough)

Thanked by 1FlamesRunner
  • Hudson Is Good

Hum, so 111 MB on cachefly locally and 106 over the ocean in NL? While DC is 3 times lower? Even if they have own dark fiver to NL, looks implausible.

Thanked by 1Amitz

I'm definitely in Choopa. Latency to the server is around 18-20ms

Then I am really interested how they manage to have 3 times faster speeds in EU than in US. Must have something very weird there.

@maounique all I did was run the benchmark. I don't know enough about networking to even fathom how those numbers were derived.

Well, I am just curious, a mtr would have helped a bit :)

• FredQcFredQc Member

@Maounique Here we go, Ramnode at Choopa

[root@castor ~]# wget freevps.us/downloads/bench.sh -O - -o /dev/null|bash
    CPU model :  Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1241 v3 @ 3.50GHz
    Number of cores : 4
    CPU frequency :  3499.880 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 1024 MB
    Total amount of swap : 512 MB
    System uptime :   51 days, 4:47,       
    Download speed from CacheFly: 103MB/s 
    Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 38.3MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 44.0MB/s 
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 5.38MB/s 
    Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 4.99MB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 39.8MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 13.6MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 35.1MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 39.8MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 90.5MB/s 
    I/O speed :  720 MB/s

Impressibe, as always ;)

• Maounique said: Well, I am just curious, a mtr would have helped a bit :)

@Maounique , it uses mirror.leaseweb.com which when in the US, resolves to their WDC (Manassas, VA)

5. dct-cr03--v51.dacentec.com    0.0%     5    9.2   9.1   9.0   9.2   0.1
      6. 8-2-8.ear1.Atlanta2.Level3.n  0.0%     5    9.3  16.6   9.3  31.4  10.3
      7. ae-1-3501.ear1.Washington12. 80.0%     5   21.5  21.5  21.5  21.5   0.0
      8. FIBERRING-B.ear1.Washington1  0.0%     5   23.4  23.5  23.4  23.6   0.1
      9. po3.cs2.wdc1.leaseweb.net     0.0%     5   22.7  22.7  22.7  22.7   0.0
     10. mirror.us.leaseweb.net        0.0%     5   22.9  23.0  22.9  23.0   0.0

edited July 2015

This is more like it, while leaseweb is about the same as seattle and san jose, washington dc is 2.5 higher, not the other way, washington dc 3 times lower than leaseweb in nl.

GStanley said: @Maounique , it uses mirror.leaseweb.com which when in the US, resolves to their WDC (Manassas, VA)

Ha, then it should not be labeled as NL, I took it at face value.

• I'm not sure what it is about HVH, but they always seem to have a super professional and easy to work with attitude that I just love - I've experienced this same level of great service in both a massive account for an ex host and my own personal account with 2. Travis and Peter are the best!

For example the bios event log or whatever it is in my personal server with them filled up and needed F1 on a reboot to sort it out, and even though I messed up (and later fixed) IPMI they managed to sort it on an unmanaged super low budget server.

Only downside would be the rate limiting, often needs a ticket to remove after doing backups or migrating containers. CC Chicago can easily push 900Mbps both ways!

• Maounique said: Ha, then it should not be labeled as NL, I took it at face value.

It used to be and no 1 updated the script since LeaseWeb made the change.

• matthewvzmatthewvz Member, Host Rep

linuxthefish said: Only downside would be the rate limiting, often needs a ticket to remove after doing backups or migrating containers.

Can confirm. CC Dallas.

Just wanted to add to this that I've been using HVH for almost a year now for other servers and am really enjoying their service and network.

I gave buffalo a try again last week and have to say it sill performs like a potato for north america, but choopa is still fantastic!

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR

I have to also confirm all of this. @Ernie is a pleasure to deal and communicate with. They even helped when I set up my ProxMox node and made a complete pigs head of the network config file. Fully expected to be treated as an idiot. But I wasnt. What was also nice is that Peter (I think it was) even went as far to explain what I had done wrong.

10/10 HVH

• XiNiXXiNiX Member, Host Rep

Hudson is Very Good. Ernie is a Gem for HVH.

• programerprogramer Member
    edited September 2015

@XiNiX said:
    Hudson is Very Good. Ernie is a Gem for HVH.

Same experience with Ernie, we never had any trouble with their VPS.

• ErnieErnie Patron Provider, Veteran

Thanks for the kind words I appreciate it.