Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Considerably large size of ploop backup
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Considerably large size of ploop backup

SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran
edited July 2015 in Help

Hi,

On openvz based server, there is one issue I am facing, I am not sure if it is normal behavior or something odd. The thing is that I have container with 200GB space assigned to it. It is using 128GB . Its ploop based, now issue that whenever I take bacup, its tar.gz size is around 350GB.. if not compressed.. like just tarred then 485GB.

Is that normal or I have some issue.. interestingly I had once restored and everything went smooth.

I checked size of its private area : its whopping 522 GB at the moment, if turn off container, still its same.

And if I check size of its /vz/root/ctiID then its as expected ie. 128 GB..

So why container private area is so large ?

Further, when check inside /vz/private/CTID ..

.$du -sh  /vz/private/239/root.hdd/*
4.0K    /vz/private/239/root.hdd/DiskDescriptor.xml
0       /vz/private/239/root.hdd/DiskDescriptor.xml.lck
189G    /vz/private/239/root.hdd/root.hdd
120G    /vz/private/239/root.hdd/root.hdd.{0f96e4f3-048c-43d4-bb6b-0052cc511a3f}
37M     /vz/private/239/root.hdd/root.hdd.{2b87f26c-9a0a-4c4c-b33b-0bf031ccb151}
105G    /vz/private/239/root.hdd/root.hdd.{8ba84580-afda-4c07-bf95-98f82d0beae7}
34G     /vz/private/239/root.hdd/root.hdd.{9e2e6d33-b9bc-4822-8518-f564c5e277a7}
36G     /vz/private/239/root.hdd/root.hdd.{b58a8264-0d56-4e85-bd63-c4bfb23ed5b5}
40G     /vz/private/239/root.hdd/root.hdd.{cdcacb57-ffbb-4352-bc9f-9a8f0f46109a}

So what I need to here so that I get proper size..

Comments

• KupolKupol Member

You need to trim your ploops periodically because the used space doesn't scale like with simfs.

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

Did that.. no change.. ie. vzctl compact

• DBADBA Member
    edited July 2015

Those root.hdd.{UUID} files are from taking snapshots. If they are active merging them back to the parent will get rid of a lot of duplicated and old data, see: https://openvz.org/Man/ploop.8#Working_with_snapshots

edited July 2015

483 GB now after merging snapshot. I guess its more issue with unused snapshot.. but how I know. I can see which one is active but what is way to see parent child info as well completely inactive snapshot ie. without any child..

• DBADBA Member

You can use ploop snapshot-list to show the chain, after merging them all do a vzctl compact. Any not in the list would likely be orphans and could just be deleted.

You mean ploop snapshot-list DiskDescriptor.xml ... what all its shows is all chained snapshots, any snapshot not listed there can be deleted safely...

Well, after merging snaphots and compacting several times, we have this :

4.0K    /vz/private/289/root.hdd/DiskDescriptor.xml
    0       /vz/private/289/root.hdd/DiskDescriptor.xml.lck
    189G    /vz/private/289/root.hdd/root.hdd
    47G     /vz/private/289/root.hdd/root.hdd.{b58a8264-0d56-4e85-bd63-c4bfb23ed5b5}

Now its total 236 GB space .. though container actual usage is only 118GB now (as deleted some files inside container also.

• rds100rds100 Member

You still have some snapshot it seems - /vz/private/289/root.hdd/root.hdd.{b58a8264-0d56-4e85-bd63-c4bfb23ed5b5}

edited July 2015

That one is marked as active.. means it could be in use .. .. isn't , am I not supposed to touch it or just can merge it also ?

ploop snapshot-list /vz/private/239/root.hdd/DiskDescriptor.xml
    PARENT_UUID                            C UUID                                   FNAME
    {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}   {93d8de34-48f8-41da- 92c5-659e8393d2c8} /vz/private/239/root.hdd/root.hdd
    {93d8de34-48f8-41da-92c5-659e8393d2c8} * {5fbaabe3-6958-40ff-92a7-860e329aab41} /vz/private/239/root.hdd/root.hdd.{b58a8264-0d56-4e85-bd63-c4bfb23ed5b5}

• I had a large ploop backup recently.

Sorted it it out with some Ex-Lax. Now I only eat nuts and fruit.

Thanked by 2ricardo vimalware

@alaningus said:
    I had a large ploop backup recently.

Thats pretty helping.. kindly do not try to help this way again..

• BruceBruce Member

@Saahib said:

didn't Elvis die as a result of that "help" ?

• @alaningus said:
    I had a large ploop backup recently.

I thought it was funny but i love poop jokes :)

edited July 2015

Well.. may be my sense of humor is weird... ..

Though here its like when you are fucked up already and someone comes and makes shitty joke and expect you to laugh..

I am wondering.. shall I laugh on joke or on the person.. or on another person.. or the another person who likes JOKES on SHIT.

:) :) :)

• @Saahib said

I'm sorry if I offended you Saahib, but you really ought to lighten up a little. That thread title was just screaming to be used as a 'double entendre'.

:D

alaningus said: I'm sorry if I offended you Saahib, but you really ought to lighten up a little. That thread title was just screaming to be used as a 'double entendre'.

... since when PLOOP = POOP ? and if that sounds similar then what's all about BACKUP here.. .

Nevermind, issue has been resolved.. realized that interrupted backup process caused so many snapshot and these can be merged with parent delta.

• Cultural differences. I thought it was amusing, no need to be 'arsey' about it. /jk

Thanked by 1alaningus
  • DBADBA Member

Saahib said: That one is marked as active.. means it could be in use .. .. isn't , am I not supposed to touch it or just can merge it also ?

Can merge it as well.

@DBA said:
    Can merge it as well.

Yap.. got it.. was messing with whole day.. learned quite a few things about it :)

• DBADBA Member
    edited July 2015

Saahib said: ... since when PLOOP = POOP ? and if that sounds similar then what's all about BACKUP here.. .

"backed up" is a phrase often used in relation to constipation

large backup ~ very constipated

ploop ~ poop

While not directly helpful in solving the problem it was humorous with the cartoon included.

Thanked by 1alaningus

I guess.. you are right.. cultural difference :-p