Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Very lowend KVM/Xen with 2 IPv4?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Very lowend KVM/Xen with 2 IPv4?

Shot2Shot2 Member
edited July 2015 in Requests

Hi,
I'm on the lookout for a very low-end, low-budget offer with special feats.
Got it, thanks to a generous contributor. =)

Minimal requirements:

• 2 IPv4

• 1 IPv6 subnet (/112 will do)

• 128-256 RAM

• 2-5 GB disk

• 20 to 50 mbps interface

• ~50 GB/month

• full-fledged KVM/Xen, no OVZ

• unmanaged but with all the perks (decent control panel, Ubuntu/Debian minimal templates, revDNS etc.) as I hate opening tickets to alter trivial settings...

Preferred locations:

• Baltica/Scandinavia, Canada, E. Europe, Papua, Syria, whatever works, I'm no racist...

• no US/UK/DE

• no OVH

Budget:
~US$25/€24 yr (will gladly pay yearly, if friendly company with a proven record and ethical values ;))

No fishy usage to expect - it's for my personal needs (off-site 2ndary ns/mx, vpn endpoint while travelling) and would remain quite idle most of the time, but it has to be available and reliable when needed.

(N.B. I'd happily go with Luna Node... but even their smallest plan is overkill while lacking a secondary IP...)

edit: formatting

Comments

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

We have servers in Lithuania. We actually give away free VPS, XEN that are higher spec than your requirements.

IPv6 is not 100% ready in our LT location but thats expected within the next couple of weeks.

If you like, we can do HK servers, both IPv4 and IPv6 but the price would be slightly higher. Can you manage $36 /yr?

• IP4 prices are heading north of $2 each nowadays....

• randvegeta said: IPv6 is not 100% ready in our LT location but thats expected within the next couple of weeks.

That's what Balticservers says since 2012...

Baltic Servers still don't do IPv6? That's a surprise.

We don't use them, if that's what you were thinking :-).

• Ah right, you are the ones wasting APNIC IPs in Europe, i see :)

• Shot2Shot2 Member

@dediserve said:
    IP4 prices are heading north of $2 each nowadays....

Yep, but still... maybe some hoarder grabbed them cheaper once... (never said my request was easy nor realistic ;))

@randvegeta said:
    We have servers in Lithuania. We actually give away free VPS, XEN that are higher spec than your requirements.

IPv6 is not 100% ready in our LT location but thats expected within the next couple of weeks.

If you like, we can do HK servers, both IPv4 and IPv6 but the price would be slightly higher. Can you manage $36 /yr?

I'll keep an eye on your LT offers once you have v6 (your freevps specs look near). I'm really after the 2 IPv4 though.

You can pay for a 2nd IPv4.

@William , 1 x /24 in Europe and we are wasting IPs from APNIC?

We are sorry?

• You should not use APNIC IPS in Europe at all...

• elgselgs Member

Just wondering why no OVH?

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

randvegeta said: We actually give away free VPS

gimme

• Shot2Shot2 Member

@elgs said:
    Just wondering why no OVH?

My good ol' (dedicated) server is already with them ("don't put all your eggs in one basket" when it comes to redundancy) and I'm not ecstatic over their current offers anyway...

Thanks everybody for participating. I think I've found a fair deal :) won't disclose it tho.

/closing now

@William

And yet there are millions of ARIN and RIPE IPs in Asia.

We are an HK based company so we are using 1 of our /24s in LT but don't worry. We will swap it out for RIPE IPs when we get an allocation. Not many providers of IPs in LT or Europe. Why would we pay more for what we already have?

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited July 2015

randvegeta said: Not many providers of IPs in LT or Europe. Why would we pay more for what we already have?

You... what? RIPE IPs are by FAR cheaper than APNIC, legacy and normal allocs... it makes zero sense to waste APNIC IPs in Europe or the US... besides that APNIC and ARIN (but not RIPE) explicitely forbid usage outside of their respective region, thus you are breaking your APNIC contract.

• TrafficTraffic Member
    edited July 2015

William said: You... what? RIPE IPs are by FAR cheaper than APNIC, legacy and normal allocs... it makes zero sense to waste APNIC IPs in Europe or the US... besides that APNIC and ARIN (but not RIPE) explicitely forbid usage outside of their respective region, thus you are breaking your APNIC contract.

I think he means he wants to use the resources he has (already paid for) instead of paying to get new IPs. Although you're right - those IPs should not be used outside its region.

@William,

Have I offended you or something?

With regards to advertising our IPs outside of region, it is not explicitly forbidden under some circumstances.

I am not so familiar with ARIN policy but just look up most HK based networks and you will find a plethora of ARIN origin IPs. Even the mighty PCCW uses ARIN IPs in HK.

Besides, this is just a temporary solution until we become a member of RIPE.

William said: RIPE IPs are by FAR cheaper than APNIC

We aren't leasing the IPs. We are direct members of APNIC so no, it isn't cheaper for us. And as @Traffic says, we already have the resources. Why should we pay for something we already have?

Thanked by 1zemigpt
  • WilliamWilliam Member
    edited July 2015

randvegeta said: With regards to advertising our IPs outside of region, it is not explicitly forbidden under some circumstances.

No, APNIC bans any usage outside APNIC region (i have just re-read the assignment rules) - What you mean is ARIN which "allows" it but it is not counted towards quota on new requests. Only exception is anycast, which you don't do.

randvegeta said: but just look up most HK based networks and you will find a plethora of ARIN origin IPs. Even the mighty PCCW uses ARIN IPs in HK.

Yes, this CAN violate ARIN policy but is not required to - As said, ARIN simply does not count it as used on future allocation requests which is now irrelevant as ARIN is empty anyway. Unlike ARIN and RIPE APNIC bans ANY usage outside the region with only very few exceptions (Anycast and Root DNS servers).

I also checked the largest networks just now (i.e. HKNet, Hutchinson, NTT, Pacnet, Telstra) and neither of them announces any non-APNIC blocks (except for customers, which are not assigned to them).

randvegeta said: Have I offended you or something?

No, but i fight anyone that abuses the RIRs and report anyone to the respective RIRs for investigation (and complain enough so they don't ignore me, RIPE did that once and it did not end too well, read the RIPE mailing list for more info) - Currently already got multiple /16 revoked at RIPE and a bunch of /20 revoked at APNIC, and no end in sight.

William said: Only exception is anycast, which you don't do.

This is exactly what we do. What makes you think we dont?

William said: No, but i fight anyone that abuses the RIRs and report anyone to the respective RIRs for investigation (and complain enough so they don't ignore me, RIPE did that once and it did not end too well, read the RIPE mailing list for more info) - Currently already got multiple /16 revoked at RIPE and a bunch of /20 revoked at APNIC, and no end in sight.

So you are saying we are abusers and you will take it upon yourself report us to APNIC until our allocation is revoked?

Even though:
    1.) The IPs are also anycast (advertised in both HK and LT)
    2.) It's temporary
    3.) It's a single /24 from the thousands of IPs under our network
    4.) All that the range is being used for is to provide FREE VPS?

Given all this, you wish to make a crusade, contact APNIC and try and get the allocation revoked? Seriously?

Aside from the fact that I don't think we are breaking any rules at the moment, if we did get a warning from APNIC, all that would happen is the free VPS would be shut down... But it begs the question... why does it matter so much?

@William,

If you find the use of ARIN IPs outside of ARIN region as dispicible as the use of APNIC IPs in Lithuania, then I can provide you with a long list of HK based AS numbers advertising USA IPs. Heck, if you can actually get the IPs revoked or removed from HK, I'll be so impressed, we'll put up an award for your success!

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited July 2015

God, so much BS from you trying to justify your shit...

randvegeta said: Even though: 1.) The IPs are also anycast (advertised in both HK and LT)

No it is not. Check from any worldwide location for this /24 ends in LT - It is just behind your ASN. This IPs are not announced in APNIC region at all. Don't tell me bullshit, i'm not an idiot you can fool with that, i designed and run a large anycast network currently.

BI 103.253.42.0/24 x 111 100 0 9002 (Retn - UA), 21412 (Cgates - LT), 133398 (Your AS) IGP

No route to HK/Asia at all, no advertisement from any ISP present in HK, no routes similar to your HK networks, 100% only announced in Lithuania - Anyone can verify this by any BGP looking glass and show path.

This is how yours looks like, single advertisement in a single location over a single upstream (cgates):
    https://imghost.li/di/BNER/Screen_Shot_2015-07-19_at_18.png
    https://paste.ee/p/HmCkK

This is how Anycast looks like, multiple upstreams in multiple countries:
    https://paste.ee/p/P7Ymv

2.) It's temporary

Does not matter, still violation of APNIC rules, temporary or not.

3.) It's a single /24 from the thousands of IPs under our network

Does not matter either - APNIC does not do separation by announced netblocks (10% rule) like ARIN does.

4.) All that the range is being used for is to provide FREE VPS?

Does not matter either, why would it? Rules are rules and you clearly violate them, free or not.

randvegeta said: If you find the use of ARIN IPs outside of ARIN region as dispicible as the use of APNIC IPs in Lithuania, then I can provide you with a long list of HK based AS numbers advertising USA IPs. Heck, if you can actually get the IPs revoked or removed from HK, I'll be so impressed, we'll put up an award for your success!

I already monitor a lot of networks in Asia for it - 95% of them use 90%+ in ARIN region and thus that excludes it only from justification for future requests, but is not a direct violation of ARIN rules. Again, as said before, APNIC does not know any such rule and thus any announce outside the region is a violation.

Some, like PCCW, also have carrier exceptions (like Level3 and Cogent) and/or legacy space (Cogents 38/8, Level3 8/8 and 4/8 etc.) which is not ARIN regulated at all.

Thanked by 1vimalware

@William,

Got any monitoring services in HK?

• Yes, one node at HKNET (NTT, via VR/Hostvirtual) and one node at Hutchinson (via AMSIX HK) - Both BGP route show (full tables) does not list ANY advertisement of 103.253.42.0/24 on HKIX or private peering. All only list AS21412 as next hop (after Retn) which is CGATES in Lithuania.

Your HK peering and transit partners on AS133398 do not see any direct routes to this /24 either - verified via i4HK and Hutchinson.

This network is not announced in HK and nowhere in Asia - Others can verify this for me independently.

@William

Thanks for pointing that out. Small oversight with the configuration. The necessary configuration changes will be made to advertise in HK too. If you look at the other IPs on the /22, you should see they are advertised in both locations too.

I have never known such hostility over IPs. Unbelievable.

• randvegeta said: If you look at the other IPs on the /22, you should see they are advertised in both locations too.

No.

103.253.40.0/24 -> HK only

103.253.41.0/24 -> HK only

103.253.42.0/24 -> LT only

103.253.43.0/24 -> HK only

Thanked by 1Riz

Ahh that's right. I forgot we disconnected the HK-LT link a couple months back which explains why they are no longer advertised in both locations.

Again, thanks for pointing it out.

But a mis-configuration of routers does not a violation make.

Do feel free to report us if you feel we are being disingenuous. What you do with your own time is totally up to you.

We have done any-casting for a number of legitimate reasons. Chief among them is DDOS mitigation and for added redundancy.

We are not abusers, so disagree if you like, and do what you will.

Have a nice evening.

• This would probably be some nice LowEndDrama if I actually understood anything about IPs and networking

@William

How are the policies of LACNIC? Do you know if there are any issues using those out of region? :)

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited July 2015

Forbidden but currently not investigated on small scale (10-20%). Same for Afrinic.

@Willliam,

By the way. Where did you see that advertisement of APNIC IPs out of region is strictly forbidden? Hard pressed to find anything that actually says this to be the case.

I had believed there to be some restrictions but I couldn't find anything that says that use of APNIC IPs or APNIC resources out of region to actually be not allowed. Care to share?