Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OnApp restrains on Networking layer
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OnApp restrains on Networking layer

lifehomelifehome Member

Unlike AWS, you got VPC to setup subnets, route tables, mount Elastic IPs on... OnApp seems more a big trouble to me, providing no private instance(aka VM as they told me) where if you build one without Public IP, it fails to provision/build. Nor you can do route tables, to create an extra ACL level for security. This is simply a fail to achieve so. Or WHY they're even calling themselves "Cloud", while those were just VMs?

Question: How could I do route tables and instances with Private IPs only?
Goal: To do some limitation on my in/out-bound traffic, and "build-up" my network.

Comments

• Have you tried OnApp CDN too? I suggest to try it and then avoid and keep them a millions mile away!

@NullMind probably can help here.

• @alexvolk said:
    Have you tried OnApp CDN too? I suggest to try it and then avoid and keep them a millions mile away!

Can't imagine on connecting CDN to a network... Are those related...?
    What I'm trying to do is blocking a whole ASN, while having additional rules on routing, like Port 53 goes to 10.1.2.3, Port 443 goes to 172.16.7.8, maybe DROP ICMP from x.x.x.x

• @lifehome - which OnApp company are you using? Which location?

Thanked by 1bitsback
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2015

lifehome said: Or WHY they're even calling themselves "Cloud", while those were just VMs?

@lifehome don't see how does the way network is setup influences whether something is a 'cloud' or not.

Do you have OnApp installed directly or you use some company that uses OnApp?

alexvolk said: Have you tried OnApp CDN too? I suggest to try it and then avoid and keep them a millions mile away!

We have many Customers very happy with CDN services provided through OnApp federation. Excellent system and a great idea.

• OnApp works just fine with Vpn routing and or private ip only servers. We've hundreds of clients running just such architectures for private apps or offsite Microsoft stuff.

Not sure what Cdn has to do with that

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • @dediserve There was an incident happened this afternoon(Ticket 880660). While @MarkTurner said, the incident, and I am using @dediserve services. My guess is it was built through network deploy, causing OnApp have no access to the instance while I removed the NIC.

What I'm trying to setup is something like a NAT/Springboard:
    Workstation --[ssh]--> NAT/instance --[route table]--> Instances without public IP

I could just setup some subnets and mount Elastic IP on one group, then do some rules, etc, in the AWS VPC. But the OnApp just seems hard and harder to achieve this, causing more resources on such as NAT server, specifically for one task...

@Cloudvider Not sure why CDN while I just need route table? #lol

Thanked by 1dediserve
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@lifehome I haven't brought up CDN into this, ask @alexvolk.

@alexvolk said:
    Have you tried OnApp CDN too? I suggest to try it and then avoid and keep them a millions mile away!

NullMind probably can help here.

• OnApp at this time doesn't support building a private only VM. You have to build one with an ip then remove it (once you've added the private LAN)

Our team can help if you've a ticket open.

• Hi

Like dediserve has mentioned, we do not support a VM with no IP, TBH this has not been a request and scenario we have any or much request for, sorry to hear you are having problems, but you are in good hands with dediserve.

Thanked by 2dediserve Clouvider
  • rds100rds100 Member

NullMind said: we do not support a VM with no IP

What do you mean by IP - IPv4 or IPv6? Do you support a VM without ipv4 but with ipv6?

• @rds100 said:

OnApp does yes

Thanked by 1Clouvider