Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IPV6 issue..
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

IPV6 issue..

lvdavelvdave Member

I have a vps with Virpus networks that I run several websites on. The vps includes an ipv6 address.. I've set up AAAA records in dns to allow access to the websites via ipv6.. Several friends who are lucky enough to have internet connections with native ipv6 are able to get to the websites via v6.. My problem is this: my home network is on Cox, who doesn't even seem to know what ipv6 is, let alone have a plan to roll it out.. Soooo, I sign up for a Hurricane Electric tunnelbroker 6to4 tunnel, which works fine, EXCEPT where I need it most, the above websites hosted on the above vps..
I cannot get to said websites via this tunnel.. HE support comes to the conclusion that Virpus is "single-homed to Cogent on v6 and thus doesn't have a full v6 network view" (a quote from the HE tech), and HE doesnt peer with Cogent, as Cogent doesn't do peering rather only contracted transit and apparently HE doesn't do contracted transit.. I contacted Virpus support and they said they'd look into it.. That was well over a month ago.. Am I just screwed?

Comments

• patrick7patrick7 Member, LIR
    edited July 2015

That's true, Cogent depeers Hurricane, even if HE gave them some cake: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2009/10/22/peering-disputes-migrate-to-ipv6/

• @lvdave said:
    I have a vps with Virpus networks...

There's your problem.

Thanked by 34n0nx rm_ ATHK
    edited July 2015

Hm, strange, I see some cogent prefixes in my HE fulltable:

34549 6939 43451 1299 174

Looks like a peer of HE (RADIOLAN-SK-AS) is leaking this route (learned from upstream TeliaSonera) at an IXP (Peering.cz s.r.o.)

But cogent does not know the return path.

• lvdavelvdave Member

@joereid said:
    There's your problem.

I've had the vps for over 2 years and this issue with ipv6 is the only problem I've had to resort to contacting them in at least a year.. I know people love to hate on some vps vendors, but as far as I'm concerned these guys are tops.. Now DON'T GET ME STARTED on the b.s. I'm going thru with another vps that just did a magic/chango from GVH to Hostress... Good GOD, I wish I hadn't paid for a year with them... Not gonna go into it, as I've noticed GVH threads are pretty much considered trolling here...

• lvdavelvdave Member

@patrick7 said:
    That's true, Cogent depeers Hurricane, even if HE gave them some cake: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2009/10/22/peering-disputes-migrate-to-ipv6/

Thanks for that link.. That really clarifies the problem.. Sounds like unless HE decides to buy transit with Cogent, I "can't get there from here" vis a vis my vps and my HE tunnel...

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

lvdave said: Am I just screwed?

Without having a clue about IPv6, I'd say yes. All my IPv6 experiences with servers were negative so far. No IPv6 rDNS, suddenly IPv6 stops working, suddenly IPv6 route goes across the pond and back, suddenly my home internet does not assign an IPv6 anymore, apt-get update on FRESHLY INSTALLED servers often does not work because they look up the AAAA record but have temporary IPv6 problems (or no public IPv6 at all), often impossible to get an additional /64 to separate my mail server network from other VPS's...

it is so tiring.. I think I am going to let others be the beta testers for IPv6.

Thanked by 1deadbeef

There would be another solution if your VPS provider does BGP; he could peer with HE throug a HE BGP tunnel (with NO_EXPORT community / IMPORT filters so that only HE traffic goes through the tunnel).

@4n0nx I cannot confirm your probmels. Running my own IPv6 network (own PI space / ASN) with no problems at all. I also have some machines with other providers and IPv6 is running fine (often better than IPv4).

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • WilliamWilliam Member
    edited July 2015

HE does not peer with Cogent and has no path on v6 and vice versa. IPv4 works via Telia. I see a path currently one way but this is a leaked peering port and will be fixed shortly (already informed the NIXCZ ISP that causes it).

No chance to fix this - Either your ISP has to get another upstream that has a route to HE (which is ANYONE, except Cogent, and if they are singlehomed Cogent they are shit anyway) or you have to use another Tunnelbroker.

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • lvdave said: Sounds like unless HE decides to buy transit with Cogent, I "can't get there from here" vis a vis my vps and my HE tunnel...

Did you try 6to4 anycast?

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Yeah, that's a problem, that's why we get IPv6 form every upstream we can possibly have to get full coverage.

• tehdantehdan Member
    edited July 2015

Try a tunnel from sixxs.net - they make you jump through a few hoops to get a tunnel, but it's worth it as this discourages abuse. You can check if your site is reachable via sixxs by going to www.yoursite.com.sixxs.org

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited July 2015

Rather than dealing with Sixxs for the tunnel at home (or tolerate Cogent's peering assholery), switch to a HE.net tunnel on the VPS itself. Or get a VPS from a different provider in the first place, because proper providers are well aware of this Cogent's deficiency and never run single-homed Cogent, usually they do Cogent + something that upstreams to HE, specifically because of this peering issue.

edited July 2015

I cannot recommend SixXS, they're a bit (or more than a bit) arrogant. They reject every second tunnel. More infos: http://en.linuxreviews.org/SixXS

But if your VPS has a routed IPv6 network, you could create your own tunnelbroker service.

• lvdavelvdave Member

@Ole_Juul said:
    Did you try 6to4 anycast?

Not sure what that is.. My tunnel to HE is via my Tomato router and shows up as a "6in4 static tunnel". I'm a noob with ipv6.

Several years ago, I had the urge to learn v6, and tried signing up for a SixXS tunnel.. Gave up after trying for a week... Then I heard about HE's tunnelbroker, and tried setting up a tunnel and could not get it to work, but that was prior to getting my current router with Tomato, with this router, getting the tunnel to work is a piece of cake..
    As for the tip to change vps, not happening.. As much as people here rag on Virpus, I've had this vps for over 2 years and I've had zero problems with it, in fact this issue with ipv6 is the first time I've even contacted their support for anything since just after I signed up with them.. Had a couple minor issues at that time..

Some suggested running a tunnel ON the vps... I have absolutely NO idea how one would do that considering that there already is a native ipv6 address bound to the nic...

I guess, unless Virpus buys transit that will "see" HE, I'm out of luck...

Thanks all
    Dave

• ATHKATHK Member
    edited July 2015

Use Cloudflare's IP translation thingamabob -

https://www.cloudflare.com/ipv6

https://blog.cloudflare.com/introducing-cloudflares-automatic-ipv6-gatewa/

That'll solve your IPv6 issues for users without IPv6 access.

• lvdave said: My tunnel to HE is via my Tomato router and shows up as a "6in4 static tunnel". I'm a noob with ipv6.

I'm no expert either, but found that in Tomato Shibby AIO (where I would find "6in4 static tunnel" I can click on "6to4 Anycast Relay" instead. You don't need HE for that to work.