Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Windows 10 Cometh
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Windows 10 Cometh

jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

So who's using the technical previews?

I was an early adopter, and went through the pain of numerous buggy builds, so some bad that it was hard to use as a primary desktop. Truth be told I probably put it only my work station too early but I was curious...

Anyways, the last 4 days has seen 3 different builds be released and they are getting pretty good. Bugs are mostly gone and things have been really polished up. Windows 10 is a MASSIVE improvement over Windows 8. It's what 8 should have been.

So who's using it too? What are your thoughts? Are you on the fast ring or slow ring for updates?

Comments

• namhuynamhuy Member

the only reason for me to use windows on my desktop is gaming. for that reason windows 7 is good enough for me. i dont see why i should upgrade to win10.

Thanked by 1Pwner
  • jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Windows 10 makes 7 (which I really like, fyi) feel dated.

• gianggiang Veteran

I was running Insider Preview for about a month, back to 8.1 for some stability reasons. And I hate the Windows 10 update nortification on my 8.1.

So far, 10 was really good, not much bugs that I can tell.

• I'm on slow ring. Last two builds are much improved and polished.

They're now fixing bugs and polishing UI. I think Windows 10 will be success like Windows 7.

Still nearly a month left in public release so it will be much improved OS over Windows 8.

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

Does Windows 10 have lots of cloud shit? :(

• I'll stay with 7 until they no longer update. Just like I did with xp

• sinsin Member

I love it and can't wait to upgrade to Windows 10, I think they nailed it this time around.

Anyone on 10162 yet?

• DylanDylan Member

@namhuy said:
    the only reason for me to use windows on my desktop is gaming. for that reason windows 7 is good enough for me. i dont see why i should upgrade to win10.

You have a much stronger reason than most people to upgrade, then. DirectX 12 is a serious game-changer (e.g. 200%+ performance gains) and is only on Windows 10.

• namhuynamhuy Member
    edited July 2015

@Dylan said:
    You have a much stronger reason than most people to upgrade, then. DirectX 12 is a serious game-changer (e.g. 200%+ performance gains) and is only on Windows 10.

im on budget, my vga card doesn't support directx 12

Thanked by 24n0nx Chuck
  • DillybobDillybob Member
    edited July 2015

@Dylan said:

Yeah, because everyone is NOT a developer and is a gamer. Oh, and every gamer must have their e-peens stretched to the maximum amount of FPS they can get.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@Dillybob said:
    Yeah, because everyone is NOT a developer and is a gamer. Oh, and every gamer must have their e-peens stretched to the maximum amount of FPS they can get.

Just, why?!

Thanked by 1iKeyZ
  • I don't like Windows 10. They're already announcing known vulnerabilities that they're not planning on fixing, so I'm not too keen on the thought.

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • All I know that there were massive kernel-level improvements in Windows 8 - made Windows 7 feel slow on the same hardware. I can't wait to see the improvements in Windows 10.

• namhuynamhuy Member

@netomx said:
    Just, why?!

high fps does help but it doesnt mean i cant enjoy gaming w low fps as long as its playable

• getvpsgetvps Member

I like Windows7 at this time. I tested Windows10 on VirtualBox, performance was bad for me but i like the new design :D, without linking to a lot of MS services,license tricks.. maybe can be a good option..

• FoulFoul Member

@jbiloh said:
    Anyone on 10162 yet?

I've been on 10162 since yesterday and it has a bigger improvement over 10159.

Loading times seem to be faster, and gpu drivers are finally working correctly...

Ran some gaming tests... CPU dependent games run better than they did on 8 / 7

Can't wait for the next build.

• raza19raza19 Veteran

I've completely left the windows architecture, desktop at home, laptop, office, servers = CentOS. Android on my htc & Nexus tablet.

Though I have an hp stream 7 lying around (an impulse buy) with win 8.1, gotta try and install CentOS or Ubuntu on it, oh well project for another day :)

• I tried one of the early Windows 10 builds, by upgrading from 8.1. It was so buggy that it took 16 hours to install. I'm not kidding. It also some serious performance issues that I formatted the partition, and reinstalled 8.1. I may install 10 when they release it, but not trying my luck with a preview again.

• I used Windows 10 on the day it got released. Obviously it was majorly buggy, I knew it would be, but I couldn't keep it as a main desktop so I went back to Windows 7. I'll convert to Windows 10 when it is fully released.

• Of all of the computers I have in my house, 1 was running Windows 10, but it was buggy and after 2 updates it seemed stable enough. I used it everyday for development, design and normal browsing. It seemed fine. Haven't used the newest version, so can't comment on that. I have all of my computers ready to download when it's released on the 29th.

• DerekDerek Member

@jbiloh said:
    Anyone on 10162 yet?

Does this build have the shutdown bug in 10130?

Curious

• HBAndreiHBAndrei Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 10162, and it's absolutely amazing. No issues found so far, fingers crossed.

• upgrading isnt an option for me yet as it does not support norton 360 :(

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

Rallias said: I don't like Windows 10. They're already announcing known vulnerabilities that they're not planning on fixing, so I'm not too keen on the thought.

facepalm @ that feature

Derek said: Does this build have the shutdown bug in 10130?

Curious

I haven't gotten the update to 10162 yet. I'm on the previous fast ring build 10159.

• I actually just updated to windows 10 been meaning to give it a try. I'm liking it so far. Seems I'm on 10130 though, and it won't update past that

• ShivamShivam Member

Hey, just wondering will windows 10 increase speeds? compared to windows 7?

SkylarM said: I actually just updated to windows 10 been meaning to give it a try. I'm liking it so far. Seems I'm on 10130 though, and it won't update past that

10130 is rough compared to 10159. They really added a lot of polish in the last few builds.

• @SkylarM said:
    I actually just updated to windows 10 been meaning to give it a try. I'm liking it so far. Seems I'm on 10130 though, and it won't update past that

Sounds like you're on the slow path then. Switching to fast should let you go to 10162.