Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BuyVM
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BuyVM

So i have seen some great reviews and post on this company on various forums. Some were a bit dated so i am hoping to see if there was anyone here who could offer some up to date info on these guys.

I heard some good things but I read some comments about them being involved in scam/shilling so idk if that is true and if that is a good move or not or if it was just BS. Any opinions are appreciated.

Thanked by 1NeoXiD

Comments

• BuyVm and BlueVM are completely different.
    Make sure you are not confusing the 2.
    BuyVM are very good,
    BlueVM are, well, if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all.

Thanked by 3sirmbhe netomx paily
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@bohdans said:
    BuyVm and BlueVM are completely different.
    Make sure you are not confusing the 2.
    BuyVM are very good,
    BlueVM are, well, if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all.

Been lots of confusion on that one :( We've had more than a few people come by our IRC raging about their VPS being down only to give us a BlueVM IP.

If you have any questions you're welcome to PM me or join me on live chat :)

Francisco

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

BuyVM is great :) But the price... :( so I got myself a whole 32GB RAM dedicated server instead of a 2GB RAM KVM..

However, if you need anycast...

Thanked by 1netomx
  • rickey318rickey318 Member, Host Rep

I have used BuyVM for years and have never had any issues with them. The bad reviews may be from a mix up with the company name or client own issues.

• Use BuyVM. I haven't used it but heard lots of positive things about them. Also Francisco is a really nice guy.

On other hand, ignore bluevm at all costs.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Can't go wrong with BuyVM.

• kendidkendid Veteran

I've got several vps with them. Uptime is good, support is knowledgeable - usually any problems were my error though...

The price is now average, on par with a lot of other places. Stability is probably their strongest point in my eyes.

If you go into their chat channel they are always on there ready to help... Although, you may get attitude on there...

I've also appreciated their Dns system. Apparently they have offloaded Sql too, never used it so don't know if it's still available.

Summary, they are pretty good. I like Ramnode as well, either one I'd recommend...

Thanked by 2Francisco netomx
  • DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

I think BuyVM is trusted company and they are also old company.

I never use their service because of out-of-stock™ problem.

• raza19raza19 Veteran

I hear BuyVm has even gotten better after @Francisco put a leash on Aldryic , always rooted for them.

Thanked by 1J1021
  • LeeLee Veteran

@4n0nx said:
    BuyVM is great :) But the price... :( so I got myself a whole 32GB RAM dedicated server instead of a 2GB RAM KVM..

This is a "size matters" type of argument that I really dislike. Just because I can get my own dedicated server with 32GB ram and a 1 TB HDD it's better right?

Yet how many actually need more resource than the 2GB ram KVM VPS offers? Who really needs the additional hassle of the work required to maintain a dedicated server?

What you get from a provider like BuyVM in a VPS vs a bare metal dedicated server from another is not as easily comparable using just price or resource.

Thanked by 1BeardyUnixGuy
    edited July 2015

@Lee said:
    This is a "size matters" type of argument that I really dislike. Just because I can get my own dedicated server with 32GB ram and a 1 TB HDD it's better right?

That's a fair point and usually pretty accurate. Most of the people we run into that really need XX GB RAM/etc are people that are usually running a very poorly written game and such that needs that much RAM just to preload things. We get the odd database person here/there that needs more but honestly, most of them can tune their setup a bit (or ask us to) and are more than happy.

@raza19 said:
    I hear BuyVm has even gotten better after Francisco put a leash on Aldryic , always rooted for them.

We've worked hard to address whatever problems we've had with some of our platforms/offerings. Some of the issues were due to bad picks of hardware, but some are just "the platform just can't scale like you want" (like nightly backups - goddammit backups!). Some of it has taken longer than we had planned to get in place (like Jersey SSD upgrades), but the amount of outstanding annoyances are minimal (pretty much just some quirks to iron out on BuyShared, as well as backups/snapshots globally).

Aldryic was never 'put on a leash', he just doesn't bother trying to drive home common sense to people that pretty much classify as scammers (the original GVH crew more or less). He has done some very solid writeups on VPSBoard that cover subjects from linux administration, secure backups automation, and even a break down into how we look at things. People don't like him because he doesn't take crap from anyone (not even me), but he works extremely hard to help people out and has gone out of his way to spend a few hours developing WHMCS modules/hooks for other hosts at no cost.

Francisco

Thanked by 1AuroraZ
  • wychwych Member

Just had one of the easiest and simplest live pre-sales chats ever with @Francisco. Great service once again!

• J1021J1021 Member

@raza19 said:
    I hear BuyVm has even gotten better after Francisco put a leash on Aldryic , always rooted for them.

I don't think any sized leash could do anything for him.

Thanked by 2Maounique yomero
  • LeeLee Veteran

Aldyric is by no means a bad person, just very opinionated and direct. Not a bad trait however it clearly does have an effect on what people think about BuyVM.

Thanked by 1switsys
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

There are some reasons why a dedicated server comes to cost as much as a vps in some situations. And that is still a rare occurrence, very well known here where people hunt bargains all day and night, but little known elsewhere.
    Most people out there have no idea what IPMI is, let alone how to secure it, mount virtual media, install a minimal distro, look out for signs of hardware failure (most servers are old and all) and the performance is sometimes way better on a VPS due to multiSSD raids, great CPU and memory, fast chipsets, big ports which allow scaling when needed, etc. Of course, that is not the same situation all over, there are VPSes that run on hardware that would cost just 2-3 times more to rent as dedi, but a serious company is not doing that. We do not compare OVH with the kid next door which runs a "company" in a dedicated server he got as a trial, maybe. Compare same sized companies, and you will see OVH falls short, for example, albeit is relatively cheap and had some crazy offers.
    Compared with GVH, yeah, but with Hezner? Or one of the many US ones? Or, can you compare amazon with Online net? What does amazon offer and what does illiad? Is it the same quality?
    I agree, in the hands of experts, some dedis can give the same or greater performance per dollar and absolutely when there is some bargain offer, but do not forget there are MANY VPS offers for a few bucks a year that just do for the needs of the people.

Instead of clamoring about this, be happy there is such a wide choice for the knowledgeable and thank this and other forums for making it known to everyone with half a clue.

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • DillybobDillybob Member
    edited July 2015

@Lee said:
    Aldyric is by no means a bad person, just very opinionated and direct. Not a bad trait however it clearly does have an effect on what people think about BuyVM.

Agree to an extent. But, while exchanging ad-hom attacks between Aldyric and myself on VPSBoard I would still buy BuyVM in a heartbeat. When host's can articulate great debating skills with actual merit and weight to their arguments.. more power to them. But I'm probably the 1%. I am.. attracted to it if you will.

• dedicadosdedicados Member
    edited July 2015

im going to register BluyVM and then just sit and look

Thanked by 34n0nx raindog308 yomero
  • 4n0nx4n0nx Member

Yes, I don't need more than 2GB RAM, yet I am still saving big time by paying for a huge dedicated server, instead of going to BuyVM (and then even more by sharing it with someone and saving the monthly fee I would otherwise pay for "cloud storage"). My point exactly. And yes, the quality >> BuyVM quality.

• @Francisco said:
    Francisco

Nope not confused at all....I was just concerned really.
    http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/10300/the-truth-about-buyvm

• LeeLee Veteran

Everyone has a history, but if you read through that fully it was mostly piss and wind. Yes BuyVM have done things in the past like many providers and probably wished they had not. However it's all water under the bridge now.

They are still here, have a look closely at that thread and look at where some of them are now. If they were bad or dodgy they would not be getting the support they do.

• Dark_SoulDark_Soul Member
    edited July 2015

@Lee said:

Thats mainly what i am a bit concerned with. Shady stuff like that uncovered and makes me wonder what is not uncovered potentially.

Still their pricing and product offering is quite enticing.

• LeeLee Veteran

If you want shady I could list a couple of dozen on here. Honestly BuyVM is one of the best you are going to get.

Thanked by 1BeardyUnixGuy
  • @Lee said:
    If you want shady I could list a couple of dozen on here. Honestly BuyVM is one of the best you are going to get.

You're probably right lol. Thank you :)

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Remember when people used to get up at 2am to be the first to order when new stock was released?

For a while, BuyVM was like the LowEndAppleStore.

• jtcxjtcx Member

I've tried a bunch of providers that I've found on LEB/LET, and there's one company that I have complete faith they'll be there immediately if I have a problem. BuyVM is the one company that I know I can trust 100%. @Francisco knows the technology, and BuyVM is the only VPS provider that actually innovates (seriously, free anycast IP's? Awesome!)

• k0nslk0nsl Member

If BuyVM wasn't a solid provider, I wouldn't have any of these services with them:

They are awesome! :^)

Thanked by 2Francisco 4n0nx
  • LeeLee Veteran

Personally I think they are shit, but I am getting paid to say good things.

• Oh wow i was not expecting to see this. I am not sure how to respond lol. I didnt expect to see that from a professional host.

http://buyvm.net/about-buyvm/

• wychwych Member

@Dark_Soul said:
    Oh wow i was not expecting to see this. I am not sure how to respond lol. I didnt expect to see that from a professional host.

Even professionals have downtime ;)

@Dark_Soul said:
    Oh wow i was not expecting to see this. I am not sure how to respond lol. I didnt expect to see that from a professional host.

http://buyvm.net/about-buyvm/

Amazing, I know ;)

We like to have fun. If someones going to be offended about some funny personal pictures then they need to cool down some.

Francisco