Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Laptop with broken screen!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Laptop with broken screen!

raysmtaraysmta Member

Laptop Specifications -

RAM: 2.00 GB

CPU: 1.90 GHz Dual Core

Disk: 160 GB

I want to run Linux Ubuntu on this remotely, and it already has Windows Pro installed on it. To reinstall in the laptop to Linux I need it to have a working screen, so I hook up an External Monitor, I disconnected it's original screen from the motherboard, however the screen doesn't appear on the External Monitor until its actually on the Windows Login Area. Which concludes to being that I cannot access BIOS Mode through an External Monitor.

If there is a way to install Linux Ubuntu on my Laptop please message me as soon as possible as I need this.

Comments

• One way is to stick the hard drive in something else to do the install then move it back. Linux isn't like Windows - it will recognize hardware on boot-up so a hdd will be fine in a different machine.

• Well where do I stick it in lol, I have a PC and a Broken Screen'd Laptop?

• did you consider typing "install ubuntu on laptop broken screen" into google?

• Yep.

• JoeMeritJoeMerit Veteran
    edited July 2015

@raysmta said:
    Yep.

Great.. because the solution to your problem is in dozens of the results that show up.

• What make/model laptop is it?
    Probably fixable for not much.

• The make is Samsung NP-R519

• Hmmm. About £40 so may not be worth it.

• May not be worth what?

• May not be worth replacing the screen.

• I can replace the screen myself but the problem is I don't want to buy a new screen.

• @raysmta said:
    Well where do I stick it in lol, I have a PC and a Broken Screen'd Laptop?

Put it in an external closure (couple of quid off eBay/Amazon) and plug it into your computer

• raysmta said: Well where do I stick it in lol, I have a PC and a Broken Screen'd Laptop?

Stick the laptop hard drive in the PC.

(You may need a $3 adapter.)

• On your laptop: check the screen brightness setting. I had an almost similar problem once (tried to install linux on a laptop, the screen appears dark on the laptop screen but looks normal on another, connected desktop monitor). Turns out its the brightness setting, but it took me hours to finally found the "problem".

• It's not the brightness.

• upfreakupfreak Member
    edited July 2015

generally laptops have a switch button ( to switch displays), when ur in bios, connect a ext monitor and try hitting that switch... your laptop will try to switch display.. once u are able to enter the bios, u can specify primary display. ( it worked for in dell, sony and lenovo laptops) never used a samsung laptop though... post your results..

• Didn't work.

• SadySady Member

@raysmta said:
    Well where do I stick it in lol, I have a PC and a Broken Screen'd Laptop?

I believe that laptop has SATA HDD, simply detach the HDD & connect it in your PC. You should be easily able to do so if you have SATA port on your PC.

• Seriously, just take out the hdd and put it in your PC, then install Linux from CD. To avoid confusion disconnect the regular hdd in the PC first. This may all seem scary if you're not used to that level of hardware setup, but it's quite simple and I'll be glad to walk you through it if you decide to go ahead. The physical work takes as long as it takes to make a post here. With the PC hdd disconnected, your OS on that is safe. I'm assuming you don't mind toasting the original OS on the laptop drive.

• This is very easy.

Turn the laptop over, unscrew near the bottom right (near trackpad) and you should get the HDD here.

Unplug this hard drive, plug it into your actual PC using something like a SATA/IDE to USB converter Here

Once you've done that you can recover any data you need from the device.

You should then be able to boot using your PC into a linux install disk, then install Linux over to the external HDD you have plugged in.

Once the installation is complete, it Should simply plug back into your laptop and boot into linux. (you should hook up the external monitor before you turn it on, so it can be detected on linux boot and start giving some output).

• Well I have tried it before by putting my Laptop's HDD in internally with cables but it doesn't seem to respond or load up Windows Pro onto my PC? Is it because it's only compatible with Laptops?

• @raysmta That model laptop has both an HDMI and VGA port. Have you tried both HDMI and VGA ports for booting any Linux distro install CD with a display connected?

• raysmta said: Well I have tried it before by putting my Laptop's HDD in internally with cables but it doesn't seem to respond or load up Windows Pro onto my PC? Is it because it's only compatible with Laptops?

Hard drives are not only compatible with laptops. It doesn't matter if it responds or not as it is. Unless you really need to do some data recovery, forget the Windows that was on the laptop, you don't need it. What matters is that the Linux installation CD can detect the drive. If the original PC hdd is disconnected you (or it) won't get confused and it will just work.

• I dont care whats with Windows and whats installed on it etc, I dont mind wiping everything, I just want Linux installed, will this work with a bootable USB?

• KwiceroLTDKwiceroLTD Member
    edited July 2015

You have a few options:

1. Suffer with the broken screen and no bios access
    2. Spent $100 and get a new laptop..
  • I take 1.
    I want to make use of it and turn it into something useful instead of throwing it away, I am not that type of person who throws money at everything, I spend my money wisely and carefully. So if you don't want to help suggest ideas then it's better to not say anything.

• @raysmta said:
    I take 1.
    I want to make use of it and turn it into something useful instead of throwing it away, I am not that type of person who throws money at everything, I spend my money wisely and carefully. So if you don't want to help suggest ideas then it's better to not say anything.

lol, next time save the mini paragraph and just say "stfu."

Also, I know you haven't considered this yet, but take another working laptop screen, hook it up to the broken-screen laptop temp, reinstall with linux, then rehookup the working laptop screen, on the working laptop.

• Lol isn't there seriously a way to take out the HDD plug it into the PC and install this Linux thing. :(
    If there is please tell me a step-by-step guide on how to do it and install Linux.

• did you try the key combination on your laptop.. Function + F4 to switch to the external display ?

the other thing to try which seems to work is opening the laptop up and disconnecting the LCD panel from the motherboard. then your primary display should be the external one.

• Doesn't work on BIOS tried it.