Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Providers: Why no bitcoin yet?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Providers: Why no bitcoin yet?

4n0nx4n0nx Member

Why don't you accept bitcoin yet?

• no chargebacks ever, no payment fraud
  • lower or no fees
  • more customers since only few providers accept bitcoin
  • even more customers from countries affected by US sanctions (assuming you are not a US based provider) or where Paypal is not available
  • privacy for your customers as well as for yourself, no payment information can be stolen or abused
  • no dependence on a certain company or payment gateway
  • protects against inflation if you don't pay out (although volatility risk) / pay out in a stable currency

Comments

• rds100rds100 Member

Because our central bank is not publishing official exchange rates for bitcoins, which makes accounting of bitcoin transactions questionable.

Thanked by 1doghouch
  • Why would "official" exchange rates matter for accounting? What you end up getting is what you got. . . kind of self explanatory from an accounting point of view. No?

• @rds100 said:
    Because our central bank is not publishing official exchange rates for bitcoins, which makes accounting of bitcoin transactions questionable.

Just use the current exchange rate at point of sale? Or use a provider that pays out to seller in USD (Coinify).

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited June 2015

No. All payments in foreign currency are accounted in local currency, calculated with the official exchange rate of the day of the payment. No official exchange rate - can't account it properly.

• Ole_JuulOle_Juul Member
    edited June 2015

IThinkUFailed said: Just use the current exchange rate at point of sale? Or use a provider that pays out to seller in USD (Coinify).

Exactly.

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member
    edited June 2015

rds100 said: Because our central bank is not publishing official exchange rates for bitcoins, which makes accounting of bitcoin transactions questionable.

But.. e.g. bitpay pays out right away, I think? edit: or at least converts

-> price on website is $5 -> customer pays $5 in BTC -> you get $5

Thanked by 1rds100
  • @4n0nx said:
    -> price on website is $5 -> customer pays $5 in BTC -> you get $5

Thing is say you have a VPS that cost $300 a year and to make it easy BTC at the point of sale is $300 per one bitcoin. You accept a bitcoin. You log that as your price sold for as you sold the product at the value of $300 at the time of processing payment. Nobody says "Oh sorry that's £200 but $300 is now worth £240 you need to pay the remaining £40" as an example... So if you later sold the bitcoin for $500, that's $200 extra profit on top that is of nobodies concern really...

All I'm saying is use the price of bitcoin at the point of sale for your records...

• @Ole_Juul said:
    Why would "official" exchange rates matter for accounting?

I agree. PayPal doesn't use 'official' exchange rates either...

• fitvpnfitvpn Member
    edited June 2015

Only few pay by Bitcoin because no chargeback if they feel something wrong, no fraud attempts.

• All of my dozens VPS are paid only by Bitcoin.

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Anna_Parker said: All of my dozens VPS are paid only by Bitcoin.

Are you sure you are not https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anna_Chapman? :)

• @rm_ Damn, you've got me! ;)

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

With so many providers making accepting bitcoin so easy, coinbase, bitpay, we saw no reason not to add it.

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • Another thing: Bitcoin can only be withdrawn into actual cash when someone is willing to take the coins off your hands and exchange + fees.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Have accepted BTC via bitpay for about a year or so, couple of issues as BitPay allow customers to request refunds and their module does not support refunding, but no major issues with it.

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • Have been accepting Bitcoin for a while. No issues. Customers use it fine too.

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

We've had a good experience so far accepting Bitcoin through BitPay. No fees ftw.

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • XiNiXXiNiX Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2015

+1 for BitPay , BlockChain is also working perfect.
    Though, we are still on edge as our Govt. ( in India ) is not having a clear policy for BitCoins.

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • My company accepts BTC, a load of companies are joining the wagon honestly.

• rds100 said: No. All payments in foreign currency are accounted in local currency, calculated with the official exchange rate of the day of the payment. No official exchange rate - can't account it properly.

Not sure what the laws/regulations are in your country. But here in the U.S. you are allowed to accept anything whatsoever in exchange for services. You can accept payment in bitcoins or in used mousepads if you like. You just keep records, explain what you transacted to your accountant, and he figures out how you pay tax on your income at the end of the year. Accurate valuation of bitcoins or mousepads doesn't even matter much to the gov't as you will still be taxed on gains later if they went up in value (though there is some potential for abuse due to different tax rates applicable in some cases; obviously, run an honest business and that won't be a problem).

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

I can't see any reason why you wouldn't accept Bitcoin at this point.

• XiNiXXiNiX Member, Host Rep

@jbiloh said:
    I can't see any reason why you wouldn't accept Bitcoin at this point.

Well, like i said, some countries ( for us in India ) , there is a confusion over the future of BitCoin. If it passes the test ( the fears of bitcoins being used for illegal stuff and money laundering and a sttrict response by the Govt. ) i dont see why bitcoing must not be the #1 choice for any online transaction.

As of now, BitCoin is stable and with BitPay and BlockChain, things are far far more easy than any other gateway.