Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

KVM hosted in BHS issues (hosted on OVH, not with OVH)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

KVM hosted in BHS issues (hosted on OVH, not with OVH)

NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
edited June 2015 in Providers

Hey,

I have a VM with a provider, hosted in OVH BHS.
Actually problem is, I used there template to install the VM, just changed password to something stronger. And it goes up and down like a yoyo.

First it vent down for some hours, reset fixed it.

Second time, i created a Ticket and asked for help/suggestions.

I just got told "self managed vm, fix it yourself".

Randomly when i was sleeping, the VM turned back online after 1 Day, still with 5 Days uptime.
About 12 Hours later it when down again for 3 minutes and backup after about 6 minutes. 7 Minutes later today, it stayed offline.

Still 5 Days uptime/not rebooted.
I can ping/reach other services when i am logged into the VM (VNC). But i can't reach the VM from outside when its down.

So, does anyone have a suggestion?

edit:

Comments

• I know that KVM on OVH is supposed to be a ball ache and there are some guides bouncing around the forums as to how to properly set it up, might be worth doing a couple of searches and seeing if they can be of help first.

• J1021J1021 Member
    edited June 2015

REDACTED.

• What does the uptime show on the VM?

Have you installed a firewall that could be placing a temp block on your IP?

When you aren't able to connect can you connect via another VM/Network?

• AshleyUkAshleyUk Member
    edited June 2015

Double Post

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Clean Template, no firewall.

• century1stopcentury1stop Member
    edited June 2015

no, there are no KVM issues with OVH. network probably isn't setup properly, it could be issue with provider's or your setup.

• TrafficTraffic Member
    edited June 2015

@Infinity580 said:
    Clean Template, no firewall.

Try another template (that one might have wrong network config)? Reconfigure networking (if Solus)?

edited June 2015

So reinstalled with a different template, 4 Hours later the VM turned offline again.

Argh.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited June 2015

Infinity580 said: I have a VM with a provider, hosted in OVH BHS.

The fuck this has to do with OVH? Your VPS is not directly with them, what "KVM OVH issues"? OVH's KVM product is either RunAbove or http://www.ovh.com/fr/cloud/, from what I can tell you're using neither of those.

Infinity580 said: So, does anyone have a suggestion?

You just bought from a crappy provider with misconfigured nodes, who also isn't competent enough to figure out that you report a real problem, and/or fix it. Cancel this and get something better. E.g. those KVM offers directly from OVH, in my experience they work very well.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Since uptime stays the same, i presume a network problem, maybe someone stealing your IP.

• wychwych Member

Provide an uptime report to the host in hopes to get them to take a look into it?

• Shoaib_AShoaib_A Member
    edited June 2015

@Maounique said:
    Since uptime stays the same, i presume a network problem, maybe someone stealing your IP.

No IP at OVH is usable unless you generate vMAC from OVH Manager & use that. So only way to steal an IP is when you know its MAC address.

• JoeMeritJoeMerit Veteran
    edited June 2015

You need to cancel and name and shame the company to protect others from this garbage.

Thanked by 1GIANT_CRAB

Shoaib_A said: So only way to steal an IP is when you know its MAC address as well.

And that is trivial to find out when you are in the same vlan. This might also happen if someone made some templates and forgot to remove the MAC.

• @Maounique said:
    This might also happen if someone made some templates and forgot to remove the MAC.

In that case you just have to delete the MAC from OVH Manager & regenerate it as it is always different when you regenerate a MAC after deleting the existing one for a particular IP.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • vpslegendvpslegend Member
    edited June 2015

@Maounique said:
    And that is trivial to find out when you are in the same vlan. This might also happen if someone made some templates and forgot to remove the MAC.

There is no vLAN concept on OVH by default & they treat every IP as /32 regardless of how big the subnet it is part of. That is why they have this weird MAC concept for their IP addresses. So it is not so easy to find MAC addresses of others. For example I have 8 IPs to use with my KVM machines for personal use & each one of those IP addresses is from a different subnet. Online.net uses a similar concept as well.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • wychwych Member

@vpslegend those darn french!

Thanked by 1vpslegend
  • @wych said:
    vpslegend those darn french!

I really like their setup of custom racks & cooling system, shared power. They pass on those savings to us. I cannot even imagine of getting an E3 v3 32 GB RAM & 500 Mbps guaranteed for 72 Euro anywhere else in the Europe. Even SYS has E3 1245 v2 32 GB RAM & 250 Mbps guaranteed for 40 Euro.

• gonggogonggo Member

some comments deleted?

• agonyztagonyzt Member
    edited June 2015

I had a similar issue last year and it was because the broadcast address was not set properly and arp requests were sent on the public interface... Result: OVH was null routing the IP for a few hours. A couple of minutes/hours after it's back online, boom, gone again.

P.s.: if you run openvz on top of your kvm, I believe the default configuration also forwards arp request on the host main interface.

Hm, since they do not want me as customer, I am lagging behind in knowing their details :) And I thought hezner is weird.

• You want this fixed? post the name of the company. it will get fixed in no time.

Thanked by 1Traffic
  • J1021J1021 Member

@MCHPhil can you help?

• WinneWinne Member

MCH ?

edited June 2015

@rm_ fixed.

Screenshot from uptimerobot added.

edited June 2015

Manual & over the script provided by MCH: VPS losses after 4 hours the connection.

• MCHPhilMCHPhil Member
    edited June 2015

Please answer the questions in your help ticket. I've been waiting since Wednesday 17th June at 10:10.

Are the routes set? Is a default gateway set? Can you ping the default gateway?

Edit: I also at that time offered you a refund for time unused... :/

• gonggogonggo Member

Question to TS, did your host ask you to subscribe to paid support?