Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Improving Dedicated Server Performance with Solid State Drives
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Improving Dedicated Server Performance with Solid State Drives

VPBsalesVPBsales Member
edited June 2015 in General

Ever thought of why your dedicated Server's performance might be running so low and reducing the output you get? Mistakes most clients and providers make.

Do you think SSD's will go a long way to improve the performance of DDS's ?

Comments

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

It depends. If you have problems with I/O, and they are slowing down your server, then you have two options:

1) spread the load across many servers

2) improve I/O capacity.

SSDs are very helpful with the 2nd option of choice : ).

• @Clouvider very good point.

Just to add, anyone seeking greater performance in their DDSs, SSDs and high-core-count CPUs are now options.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

That's right, however you won't achieve anything with those cores if you have substantial number of I/O waiting cycles.

Thanked by 1Maximum_VPS
  • you could also use something like primocache to improve I/O

• Use nvme SSD and you'll blown away haha

• @sirmbhe that's the whole point. SSDs make the work much faster.

• @TarZZ92 would you mind explaining your primocache process?

• VPBsales said: would you mind explaining your primocache process?

you can use it a number of ways. use ram as a cache or a much smaller ssd, i use ram caching for my home server (not a ramdisk)

• TarZZ92 said: VPBsales said: would you mind explaining your primocache process?

you can use it a number of ways. use ram as a cache or a much smaller ssd, i use ram caching for my home server (not a ramdisk)

@TarZZ92 thanks for the infos. That was needed for some other folks on here.

• ATHKATHK Member

Nice way to get your post count up mate..

• @ATHK said:
    Nice way to get your post count up mate..

@ATHK thanks mate. So what do you offer or sourcing for?

• ATHKATHK Member

What..

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

ramdisk

• erkinerkin Member

@VPBsales said:That was needed for some other folks on here.

I didn't like the way you were trying to brag as if you knew about everything on this subject.

Thanked by 1nexusrain
  • @erkin said:

I didn't like the way you were trying to brag as if you knew about everything on this subject.

Wasn't bragging. Felt the need to share ideas with people on here. Am not a planet of knowledge and think it's only proper to share ideas with people that have insight and common views with you on certain topics. I appreciate your input. Thanks

• ATHKATHK Member

A quote from the man himself @Nekki

I look forward to your offer post.

• @ATHK said:
    A quote from the man himself Nekki

@ATHK thanks and i believe we all will be satisfied as we journey into realms of endless opportunities of Data Storage & management.

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited June 2015

@ATHK said:
    A quote from the man himself Nekki

To be fair, I nicked it from @raindog308

Thanked by 3ATHK raindog308 Pwner
  • edited July 2015

Yes, absolutely. Nowadays, alomost all web hosting providers have upgraded their servers to SSD drives to achieve maximum I/O rates.

Comapred to HDD drives SSD drives take around 35 to 100 μs to access the data hence it is nearly 100x faster. Since, SSD drive has no moving parts. There is almost negligible possibility of failures. Average File Write/Copy Speed of SSD drives are 200 MB/s to 500 MB/s. Looking upon these fantastic features, I must say SSD drives have long run to go. Here is a excellent article on benefits of SSD drives.

https://www.accuwebhosting.com/blog/2015/03/18/15-reasons-to-choose-ssd-drives-over-hdd-drives/

• @AccuWebHosting Stop spamming old threads.

Thanked by 1AccuWebHosting