Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

i7 920 vs. Dual L5420 for Cpanel server?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

i7 920 vs. Dual L5420 for Cpanel server?

cmpecmpe Member
edited June 2015 in Help

Currently renting a i7 920 running with Cpanel with about 40-50 sites running mostly Wordpress and not expecting too much growth. Looking to see if I could lower the cost of operating the server.

Seeing some good prices on LET for the Dual L5420 and wanted to get some input from LET members. Would this be considered a downgrade since the L5420s are older and slightly slower than the i7 or would the fact that it's a Dual CPU make it an "upgrade"?

I could save about $30 per month by switching servers but for the sake of a good discussion, let's say both are priced the same.

Thanks for any feedback! :)

Which would you choose?
  1. Which would you choose?28 votes
    1. i7 920
      25.00%
    2. Dual L5420
      75.00%

Comments

• sc754sc754 Member

How much load do you get at peak currently? I don't think cpu is usually the constraint

• cmpecmpe Member

@sc754 said:
    How much load do you get at peak currently? I don't think cpu is usually the constraint

Oh I should've mentioned that the i7 920 server isn't constrained at all. The load averages are in the 0.25 range and peaks to around 1.00 when the backups start running.

I'm mainly looking for sanity check to see if switching from one CPU to another would just be a dumb move. :)

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

cmpe said: Oh I should've mentioned that the i7 920 server isn't constrained at all

If that is the case honestly you probably will see no difference at all so go with what ever saves you money, hell depending on the overall load/hits etc I would probably suggest just getting a big VPS save even more money on the server + the cPanel license.

Thanked by 2cmpe ronaldgrn
  • sc754sc754 Member

You could always run a vps on your dedi (either way) with all the resources assigned to it and get a cpanel vps licence...

Thanked by 2cmpe AnthonySmith
  • ronaldgrnronaldgrn Member
    edited June 2015

@cmpe said:
    I'm mainly looking for sanity check to see if switching from one CPU to another would just be a dumb move. :)

with that kinda load you could totally get away with delimiter's $20 dual x5150

• sinsin Member

Pick up one of those $20 or $25 servers from Dacentec - I got one of the Opteron 1381 2.5GHz Quad, 8GB RAM, and 2x2TB for $20/month and it's sweet.

Thanked by 1cmpe
  • @sin said:
    Pick up one of those $20 or $25 servers from Dacentec - I got one of the Opteron 1381 2.5GHz Quad, 8GB RAM, and 2x2TB for $20/month and it's sweet.

That offer rocks!

Directadmin + CLoudlinux + Litespeed should do the work.

Or cPanel sure.

Thanked by 1sin
  • AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

I honestly would chose the Xeon's over the i7 in any day. It's a different kind of hardware - the i7 is desktop CPU, while the Xeons are server-grade.

Thanked by 2cmpe Clouvider
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Definitely agree with @AlexBarakov here! Server grade equipment is for servers. Desktop CPU's are for Desktops.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited June 2015

Clouvider said: Server grade equipment is for servers. Desktop CPU's are for Desktops.

I have never had one fail or been disappointed with the performance of an I7-920, the whole server grade for servers and desktop CPU's for desktop is not really a justifiable argument for using one over the other.

Thanked by 1AuroraZ
  • Lee said: I have never had one fail or been disappointed with the performance of an I7-920, the whole server grade for servers and desktop CPU's for desktop is not really a justifiable argument for using one over the other.

Except for ECC memory, which might matter.

@Lee disagree. They are not designed to sustain load for longer period of time. They may make errors. They may be less stable. They don't support ECC, I can go on like that. It's not just that Intel suddenly decided to charge double for server products vs home products. This really is a different HW.

• LeeLee Veteran

@Clouvider said:
    Lee disagree. They are not designed to sustain load for longer period of time. They may make errors. They may be less stable. They don't support ECC, I can go on like that. It's not just that Intel suddenly decided to charge double for server products vs home products. This really is a different HW.

I understand the concept however the reality is different. They can and do sustain loads for long periods, never seen any errors, no stability issues etc...

I base this on services running for years on that CPU and the 2600.

Of course there are exceptions, I would not expect a provider to be using them as VPS nodes for example.

Show me complaints on a scale that support scaremongering in relation to using these CPU's in servers and I will walk away, but you can't.

Lee said: I would not expect a provider to be using them as VPS nodes for example.

Why, if the reality is different? As they are unable to sustain high load for prolonged time, especially if you connect them with other components designed for desktop use.

• LeeLee Veteran

Clouvider said: Why, if the reality is different? As they are unable to sustain high load for prolonged time, especially if you connect them with other components designed for desktop use.

Like you say, there is a difference between Server and Desktop, their use in different environments is influential.

My point here is that your "may" reasons are not strong enough in that I can, have and do run busy servers using I7's that have presented no issues due to that choice of CPU.

A xeon CPU would not have improved what I did on those servers in the last few years.

• L5420 is more then fine!