Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Transfer Existing SSL Certificate to new Server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Transfer Existing SSL Certificate to new Server

Hi All,

I recently transferred a client's website to my server. Now he wants https enabled and has sent me a zip which has 2 .crt files. I Presume I can't use those keys straight away as the server's SSL key and IP have chnaged, so I just want to know if I will have to pay for and get a new Certificate or can I re-issue new Certificate using newly generated CSR from my Server ?

I haven't dealt with Godaddy so seek guidance here!

I am using VestaCP on Debian on my server.

Thanks!

Comments

• Just copy the key and the certificate. IPs are not part of the certificate so nothing needs to be changed.

• tortautortau Member

You need the original keys that were used to generated the CSR and the certs. No worries about IPs.

• vpsGODvpsGOD Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2015

Step 1: Login to vestacp

step2 : Click web

Step3 : Edit edit for the domain you need to add certificate

Step4 : Click " Generate CSR"

Step 5: Fill it and now you get a SSL Key (you need this key to apply the certificate also)

Use the key and regenerate certificate on your provider end

• Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

You'll need the existing Key to use the SSL. If you have access to old server, copy & paste the Key.

• Thanks all... So I will ask the client to arrange me the SSL key that was used to generate the Certificate... right ?

However, if the SSL key can not be reproduced by the client, I will have to buy the Certificate again ??? or can I generate a new certificate from within Godaddy with new SSL key as @suraj4u very clearly mentioned ??

Thanks!!!

• NdhaNdha Member

@mehargags said:
    Thanks all... So I will ask the client to arrange me the SSL key that was used to generate the Certificate... right ?

However, if the SSL key can not be reproduced by the client, I will have to buy the Certificate again ??? or can I generate a new certificate from within Godaddy with new SSL key as suraj4u very clearly mentioned ??

Thanks!!!

no, just copy paste old key from old server..just ask your client to provide that..

• How are you even running a hosting business if you don't even know how SSL works... Summer host?

• @mehargags said:
    However, if the SSL key can not be reproduced by the client, I will have to buy the Certificate again ??? or can I generate a new certificate from within Godaddy with new SSL key as suraj4u very clearly mentioned ??

If the SSL Certificate was purchased from GoDaddy, then you don't need to buy the certificate again even if the key is not available. You can get the certificate re-issued with a new key for free. For more details, see https://support.godaddy.com/help/article/4976/rekey-certificate

Thanked by 1mehargags
  • Thanks @nikhil500 for reassuring my thought!

• You've to simply generate a new CSR and the private key from the server where you want to install the certificate.

Once you've the new CSR, login to your customer account on our website and re-issue the certificate. Re-issue is free of cost.

Thanked by 1mehargags