Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[RIDICULOUS] OVH's 2013 lineup - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[RIDICULOUS] OVH's 2013 lineup

Comments

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@rds100 The ordering page itself is easy to figure out, and besides that you might only have to send scans of one ID document + a proof of address (e.g. some bill with your address on it). And even that is only for "suspicious" countries, afaik :)

• @rm_ yeah, i'm afraid i would be in one of the "suspicious" countries for them. Besides AFAIK they don't accept paypal? And they company's credit card doesn't have my name on it, it has my boss's name - so even more suspicious. And then i don't know how to prove i live at the office address, since i don't live there :) So finding a reseller would probably be better for me.

edited October 2012

@rds100 they do accept Paypal.
    Using OVH resellers is paying for nothing, imho. Unless they provide the exact same price, but even then it's an unneccessary third-party and an extra link in the chain (one more point of failure).

Thanked by 1rds100
  • AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@rds100
    I had to scan my ID and credit card. No need for address scan was needed.

Thanked by 1rds100
  • @rm_ said: Using OVH resellers is paying for nothing, imho. Unless they provide the exact same price, but even then it's an unneccessary third-party and an extra link in the chain (one more point of failure).

I agree. In this case i don't need the small dedi for anything serious, just to play with it, play with the control panel, see how it works and maybe steal some idea for our future control panel ;-) So a reseller wouldn't be a problem for me, i would probably only keep the dedi for 1-2 months anyway.
    But you are right, i will try ordering from OVH directly first, will see how this goes.

• Reply to my email requesting to be able to buy the cheap dedi on the UK site.

Hi Taylor,

Currently we're waiting on a few things to be resolved, but it should be soon, I cannot guarantee when but it should be soon. Keep an eye on our forum and website regularly.

Regards,

Abdurrahman
    OVH Customer Support Advisor
    [email protected] 
  • @Taylor said: Abdurrahman

Doesnt have Abdurrahman a last name :P ?
    //offtopic

• ReeRee Member

@rm_ They do? Any idea how? Last time I renewed I didn't see a PayPal option.

• I think they offer paypal just for ovh.com/kimsufi.fr customers

Thanked by 1rm_
  • I can barely wait for the mKS :D

Thanked by 1Taylor
  • Most of the new range is showing 7 day availability now, so even when it is added to the subsidiaries we'll have to wait a bit longer. Going to "upgrade" my existing 2G and might have to get one of the small ones to play with.

• @harleqin said: I think they offer paypal just for ovh.com/kimsufi.fr customers

They definitely don't for .ie, which is a shame because my bank throws a big hissy-fit every time I need to pay with my card.

Kind of funny that OVH considers US customers to be a risk, and US banks consider France to be a risk.

• My bank did the same thing when I ordered a box from them a few months ago. They locked my card and accounts and called me about an hour later asking if I made the purchase.

• @timberw0lf said: My bank did the same thing when I ordered a box from them a few months ago. They locked my card and accounts and called me about an hour later asking if I made the purchase.

Lmao, same here.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Well, I guess I am lucky to be denied straight out. No further headaches :)
    M

• Just received my kimsufi mKS 2G with a Intel Atom N2800 1.86ghz cpu

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • @rolz14 dualcore with hyperthreading, nice

• Yeah, not bad for pot luck!:D

• VPNshVPNsh Member, Host Rep

@Jack said: I can see 'new' providers pop'ing up with the Kimsufi's i3's.

Surely not? Even at that price range, would need to oversell like crazy to see any profit, unless selling at extortionate prices. After the cost of IP's, billing licenses etc. they'd need to oversell to the point where even @dominicl would be shocked.

@Jack which means $4.50 for each 512mb VPS per month to break even. New companies will already have less priority for people wanting a new VPS than the established guys out there, and many other companies can beat this value.

Add in some overselling, which would certainly happen then maybe they could charge $3/month, but that'd still mean profit of only £30/month, which IMO doesn't make it sustainable.

• @rolz14 said: Just received my kimsufi mKS 2G with a Intel Atom N2800 1.86ghz cpu

where did you order?

@Jack said: It's still 'possible' though.

Just not sustainable.

Fair point. Wouldn't wanna be a provider in that situation though. Tbh for new companies I think they just need to get their wallet out and get a decent machine or two, and find somewhere cheap to colo.

• @djvdorp on the kimsufi.com site, i use google chrome to do the translating

• lbftlbft Member
    edited October 2012

@rolz14 said: Just received my kimsufi mKS 2G with a Intel Atom N2800 1.86ghz cpu

Me too. I got an Atom N2800, and a new Seagate ST500DM002 hard disk. I was expecting an old second hand disk so that was a nice surprise.

I ran a ServerBear benchmark, although I'm sure the specs people get will vary pretty widely. I assume ServerBear shows 467 GB for the hard disk because it came partitioned with separate / and /home partitions.

edited October 2012

Congratulations, this is a much better CPU than what is promised on the mKS plan!
    I have this CPU too in my "old style" Kimsufi 2G, couldn't complain.

@lbft said: 467 GB for the hard disk because it came partitioned

Nope, every "500 GB hard disk" in existence will show up as 467 GB, because the HDD manufacturers mean "500 billion bytes" when they say "GB", and in proper gigabytes that's right about 467 GB.

Thanked by 1lbft
  • LeeLee Veteran
    edited October 2012

I doubt anyone will be using the new kimsufi range for VPS nodes at the moment, IPV4 is limited to 3 only.

@rolz14 said: @djvdorp on the kimsufi.com site, i use google chrome to do the translating

How did you get the order to go through without being redirected to your local variant of Kimsufi? Where abouts are you located :S?

• @Jack said: Any docs for this? It was 32 IPs ;(

From http://www.kimsufi.com/fr/:

IP Failover en option* max 3 IPv4

The "RIPE max 32 IP" line is gone.

• I'm in Australia, We don't have a local variant so we have to use the main site.

@rolz14 said: I'm in Australia, We don't have a local variant so we have to use the main site.

Ohh ok, guess anyone with a local site is just gonna have to wait until stock is released across all locations :/, sucks D:.