Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

100Mbit Unmetered vs 1Gbit port 10TB Bandwidth
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

100Mbit Unmetered vs 1Gbit port 10TB Bandwidth

agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep

as the question is "100Mbit Unmetered vs 1Gbit port 10TB Bandwidth" which is better and why?

Comments

• It depends on your bandwidth needs, it's not really a subjective determination.

Thanked by 1agentmishra
  • berkayberkay Member

There are a lot of difference between bandwidth amounts, if in the end you'll use 10 TB or less, 1 Gbps port. But if you plan to use more than 10 TB, 100 Mbps so you won't pay any overages.

• ru_tldru_tld Member, Host Rep

100 Mbit unmetered is virtually ~60 TB of inbound + outbound traffic.

• berkayberkay Member

@ru_tld said:

Do not forget to specify that it's for full duplex.

• agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep

@ru_tld said:

so what happens after 60TB (inbound+outbound)?

does the host disconnects my server?

• ru_tldru_tld Member, Host Rep

It is physical limit of 100mbit per second link.

Thanked by 1agentmishra
  • @introducial said:
    There are a lot of difference between bandwidth amounts, if in the end you'll use 10 TB or less, 1 Gbps port. But if you plan to use more than 10 TB, 100 Mbps so you won't pay any overages.

Speed and transfer amounts are two different things.

It's non-sensical to say which is a better option until it is known what speed is needed. If a person needs more than 100Mbps at a point in time, a 100Mbps port is obviously not an option they can consider.

Thanked by 1agentmishra
  • I generally go for metered gigabit if I can get it, but 100Mbps unmetered if I'm going to be pushing a ton of bandwidth (ie. seeding linux ISOs) and don't want to accidentally go over a cap.

100Mbps is completely fine for most of my needs, I prefer Gigabit for breathing room if I'm serving sites/file downloads + running backups or moving big files around. Doing a big (hundreds of GB or more) backup/file transfer over 100Mbps can be painful.

Thanked by 1agentmishra
  • henkbhenkb Member

I would go with 1gbit. If you max out your 100mbit link, your connection will not stay stable. You may get packet loss and/or higher latency. At 1gbit the chance is smaller. And 10TB is a lot of data.
    Normally, bandwidth is used up in a wave pattern over the 24 hours in a day. So with that in mind and a 100mbit connection you will not reach that '60tb' at all

• Realistically, unless you need the gigabit service (live-streaming stuff, anything that needs steady but bursty amounts of bandwidth), I'd go with the 100 meg service, just because it has so much more bandwidth (I think it's something like 33 tera versus 10 tera). It all depends on patience.

Thanked by 1agentmishra
  • wychwych Member

10G/1G metered is my choice I prefer to be able to burst usage than constant usage.

I do have some 100mb boxes too.

Thanked by 1agentmishra
  • It will depend on how you use your bandwidth, for example using 1 GBPS is more than better than 100 MBPS normally, every high speed is better than low speed.But as we have said it depends how you use your server and for what.Some providers offer 10 TB 1 GBPS then you need to pay some money to continue service or in another case they will put your speed back to low speed for example 50 MBPS.This is just example to tell how the things are getting worked.

Regards

Thanked by 1agentmishra
  • berkayberkay Member

@Microlinux said:

You are right. As he didn't specify a need for a particular speed, I suggested which is better budgetwise.

Thanked by 1agentmishra
  • classyclassy Member

If the incoming traffic on the Gbit is unmetered, I would definitely go with it.

As others pointed out, a saturated 100mbps link results in packet loss.

Thanked by 1agentmishra
  • 1Gbit port 10TB Bandwidth is usually a shared port, while 100Mbit is dedicated port.

Thanked by 2agentmishra coreflux