Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID
Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

In this Discussion

Pictures of first computers you owned

Pictures of first computers you owned

24khost24khost Member
edited October 2012 in General

image TRS-80

Comments

• Really old Packard Bell, something that looks like this:

Patrick ~ INIZ Rep

| Inactive

Referral links: DigitalOcean referral link | Get 500MB free with Dropbox | I sell domains with Google Apps, $1 p/ user
  • gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
    edited October 2012

It isn't much different from my current computer :)

• So far mine might be the oldest. As gsrdgrdghd has to be younger than 30.

• @24khost said: As gsrdgrdghd has to be younger than 30.

Well it's from 1936

• yeah but your not!

• Can I have your mechanical keyboard

vpsdash.com - Tips and tricks in life, information and technology news to get things done

• @cosmicgate who are you talking to?

CPC6128

The CPC6128 features 128 kB RAM and an internal 3-inch floppy disc drive. Aside from various hardware and firmware improvements, one of the CPC6128's most prominent features is the compatibility with the CP/M+ operating system that rendered it attractive for business uses.

The CPC6128 was released in August 1985 and initially only sold in the USA. Imported and distributed by Indescomp, Inc. of Chicago, it was the first Amstrad product to be sold in the United States, a market that at the time was traditionally hostile towards European computer manufacturers.[7] By the end of 1985, it arrived in Europe and replaced the CPC664 in the CPC model line-up. Initial suggested retail prices for the CPC6128 were USD699.00/GBP299.00/DM1598.00 with a green screen and USD799.00/GBP399.00/DM2098.00 with a colour monitor.

In 1990, the 6128plus replaced the CPC6128 in the model line-up, and production of the CPC6128 was discontinued.

More Info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amstrad_CPC

FWIW I had the one in the second pic, with the disk drive.

Other notable mentions of which I owned growing up and enjoyed...

VZ300

I used to plug this one in direct to a small black & white TV, and connect the external tape drive to it. Insert the tape/cassette and hit play, short time later dungeons and dragons was on the TV ready to play ;)

TRS80

This thing was a bit of a PITA, personally I didn't like it. However one notable point was that every device that connected to it did so via a ribbon cable similar to the old IDE/floppy cables, just with slots instead of pins.

LowEndTalk has guidelines? | Follow LowEndNetwork on twitter & win!
  • @Chief said: CPC6128

very nice pc :o

Referral links: DigitalOcean referral link | Get 500MB free with Dropbox | I sell domains with Google Apps, $1 p/ user
  • image I had the cassette tape deck for added storage, but the TRS-80 came out a few months later, was so pissed.

Hostigation High Resource Hosting - SolusVM OpenVZ/KVM VPS
  • gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
    edited October 2012

@24khost said: yeah but your not!

True. The first physical PC i owned was a 600Mhz Pentium 3 with 64mb RAM, 15gb HDD and a 56kbit AOL dialup connection.

• @miTgiB said: I had the cassette tape deck for added storage, but the TRS-80 came out a few months later, was so pissed.

That's a chick magnet if I ever saw one! Haha i was interested in what you'd post :P

• Got divided by zero. Three times. What a ride.

• My first computer was an Amiga 500 with a Commodore monitor. I got it in 1990 and used it until 1995. Then I got a Pentium 166Mhz with 16MB RAM and that was so much better :)

amiga500

• hostdoghostdog Member
    edited October 2012

I got my first Amstrad 6128 with "green" monitor in 1988. Green was actually green, nothing to do with enviroment :)

New VPS Offers | KVM | Germany | 70GB HD | 768MB RAM | Unmetered BW

• @marcm said: Then I got a Pentium 166Mhz with 16MB RAM

that was my 2nd computer... then, I upgrade it to Pentium MMX 200mhz with 32mb of RAM... and changed the video card from Cirrus 1MB to.. I don't remember the brand but it was 4MB

Thanked by 1marcm
  • JarJar Member
    edited October 2012

image Not sure that's the exact model but looks like it. Had a cd-rom where the tape drive is.

Packard Bell 486 dx2 66Mhz. I think it had 8mb RAM and a 200mb HD. Memory starts to fade on those last two numbers. I remember it had a 2400 baud dial-up modem, which I later upgraded with an external 9600.

• @netomx said: that was my 2nd computer... then, I upgrade it to Pentium MMX 200mhz with 32mb of RAM... and changed the video card from Cirrus 1MB to.. I don't remember the brand but it was 4MB

Those where the times, right? I had a P MMX 200Mhz MMX, then 233Mhz MMX, then went the AMD route for a long time with their K6-3D line of 266MHz, K6-3D 300Mhz, and then all the way up to K6 500Mhz, switched to a Duron and then to a Thunderbird. Every hardware upgrade was something to look forward to, every tweak, pencil trick for OC and hardware mod (GeForce -> Quadro by moving two resistors and performing a BIOS update) was awesome. These days it seems like it's not what it used to be.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @marcm said: Those where the times, right? I had a P MMX 200Mhz MMX, then 233Mhz MMX, then went the AMD route for a long time with their K6-3D line of 266MHz, K6-3D 300Mhz

Yeah, that times ='(

I jumped from the 200MMX to 233MMX (I could play Deathdrome and F-22 Raptor with "advanced" graphics), then jumped slightly to a Celeron, then P3 933mhz, and then I don't remember, I think I jumped to a Pentium D

• is that a jaz drive in the packardbell?

• JarJar Member

@24khost said: is that a jaz drive in the packardbell?

Think it's a Colorado T1000 but the picture is so small. Surprised that was the closest picture I could find, but mine had a cdrom.

• 24khost24khost Member
    edited October 2012

Ahhh tape drive that's what that is.

• Tandy with 16 bit color and dual 5 1/4" floppy drives

PrismaVPS - Kansas City and Romania OpenVZ VPS Hosting. Plans start at $4/mo
  • MaouniqueMaounique Member
    edited October 2012

image I have it still, not working tho and it was made in 1989. M

top - 22:32:38 up 906 days, 2:58, 1 user, load average: 3.94, 5.13, 8.38

• This, 1K of ram:

:-)

IperWeb & Prometeus, Hosting Provider since 1997. iwStack cloud infrastructure
  • David_PDavid_P Member
    edited October 2012

first laptop looked like this.. :P

forgot what my desktop was :/ good 'ol floppy drives.

• Also some really old Packard Bell

Loading Deck - Cloud Consultants: Server Management | Consultancy | Software Development
  • nunimnunim Member
    edited October 2012

@24khost, Kind of hard to see the picture, but it looks like a TRS-80 Color. That was my first computer, I remember using that for many an hour before my Grandfather got a Pentium Gateway in the early 1990's. Boy do I not miss using tapes to store my data...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who had one of those, lots of people on the internet never used a computer before PII were out :o

SonicGlass 11 Locations- Amsterdam, Atlanta, Denver, Los Angeles, , Milan,
    SonicBoxes.com - VPS Tips, Tricks & Tutorials

• japonjapon Member
    edited October 2012

image My first Computer, the Toshiba T1800 Notebook. Actually, was the old work-notebook of my dad that he'd given to me.

La parole nous a été donnée pour déguiser notre pensée.

• 24khost24khost Member
    edited October 2012

@nunim yes that is the trash-80 with the printer, and the audio casset tape for programming. Also had 2 joysticks, 2 games stick figure football and baseball. image image

• @japon said: My first Computer, the Toshiba T1800 Notebook. Actually, was the old work-notebook of my dad that he'd given to me.

Had a T-1000 i got later, with DOS on chip, battery was still holding half an hour... Very nice little machine. M

top - 22:32:38 up 906 days, 2:58, 1 user, load average: 3.94, 5.13, 8.38

• NexusNexus Member
    edited October 2012

AMD Duron 700 MHz, 64 MB, 20 GB hard drive, CD-ROM, Microsoft Windows ME, For: Business

Think it was the 1999 version? Not sure

To many nostalgic memories, will /cry... :(

D4jsp - Where virgins roam free
    Thanked by 1TheHackBox
  • Windows ME = folks were frantically paying $25 to downgrade to go back to Win98 SE or Windows 2000 while Windows XP was in the works...

PrismaVPS - Kansas City and Romania OpenVZ VPS Hosting. Plans start at $4/mo
  • wdqwdq Member
    edited October 2012

Intel Pentium III @ somewhere around 800MHz, 64MB of RAM, 20GB hard drive. It came with ME so I downgraded to 2000, and then upgraded to XP. I got the machine in 2000. I also upgraded the machine several times to get more RAM/HDD.

Good times. I still have the machine today, and it still runs, although I don't use it anymore.

• My first computer is given to my friend, :D

My blog | Server Uptime | I'm not working for any providers in here, all my comments just my own opinion.image
  • mpkossenmpkossen Administrator

@wdq said: It came with ME so I downgraded to 2000, and then upgraded to XP.

2000 was an upgrade to ME, XP came after 2000.

I recommend Prometeus and Vultr! | Follow @LowEndNetwork on Twitter and win a dedi!
    Check out my blog at mpkossen.com

• RandyRandy Disabled

MS Dos 2.0 computer

• @24khost said: @nunim yes that is the trash-80 with the printer, and the audio casset tape for programming. Also had 2 joysticks, 2 games stick figure football and baseball.

No space invaders??

SonicGlass 11 Locations- Amsterdam, Atlanta, Denver, Los Angeles, , Milan,
    SonicBoxes.com - VPS Tips, Tricks & Tutorials

• craigbcraigb Member
    edited October 2012

My Dad brought a Colour Genie home from work and I quickly became addicted...

Color Genie

"Go cheap on rarely used things"

• @mpkossen said: 2000 was an upgrade to ME

2000 wasn't an upgrade in it's technical sense. 2000 was the business branch, ME the consumer one. Hence, SCSI worked just with 2000, however, games only with 98/ME. So I always switched back and forth between 2000/98.

La parole nous a été donnée pour déguiser notre pensée.

• @mpkossen said: 2000 was an upgrade to ME, XP came after 2000.

Uh, no. 2000 was from a separate line of Windows products (the NT branch) whereas both 98 and ME were from the consumer line. With XP, these two lines of products were basically merged together (and you had 'versions' like Home edition and Professional edition etc.)

Saying 2000 was an upgrade to ME is like saying MS Word was an upgrade to MS Works.

Appreciate my posts/software/guides? Donate (PayPal/Flattr/Bitcoin): http://cryto.net/~joepie91/donate.html | irc.freenode.net #lowendbox

• Compaq Presario 5000

Relax brah
  • @joepie your wrong. Windows 2000 was the next generation of windows nt 4.0 and where the new gui design came from.

XP was the merging of the 98 kernel and the NT / 2000 kernel.

• @24khost - no, Windows XP is a successor of NT line, Windows 9x kernel was abandoned after Windows ME

Thanked by 1klikli
  • @david said: Apple II+ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_II_Plus

With 300 baud modem. :)

Win 3.1

• @David_P We have a crap load of those lying around in the closets at school. For some unknown reason, my school still counts the inventory on those things and refuses to give them away or throw out.

Relax brah