Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beta testers wanted for my new project, Certificate Expiry Monitor
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Beta testers wanted for my new project, Certificate Expiry Monitor

I'm looking for beta testers for my new project, Certificate Expiry Monitor:

https://certificatemonitor.org

SSL Certificates expire within a certain timeframe. Most of the time it is one year, sometimes it is longer or shorter. Do you remember all the certificates you have and when you've bought them? Probably not.

>

This tool will help you remember when your certificates expire. Enter one or more websites below, we'll then monitor these sites and notify you a few times before they expire. This way, you'll never forget to renew your certificates.

It is open source, and when it is out of beta the source will be on Github under the AGPLv3.

For now I have some issues with gmail/hotmail labelling me as spam, although, reverse/forward DNS, SPF, DKIM and X-Unsubscribe are all set and correct.

I want feedback on the site, the sign-up process and the checks itself.

Thanked by 1YellowHummingbird

Comments

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

It doesn't describe on the website, but do you check if the certificate was revoked too ?

I've seen at least several cases of ridiculously cheap certificates that suddenly have been revoked by supplier.

• Raymii said: For now I have some issues with gmail/hotmail labelling me as spam, although, reverse/forward DNS, SPF, DKIM and X-Unsubscribe are all set and correct.

edited June 2015

Abdussamad said: Sign up for a free mandrill account and use it to send mail.

When the free quota expires, how will he carry on his free service?

• @Clouvider said:
    When the free quota expires, how will he carry on his free service?

CC

• RaymiiRaymii Member

@Clouvider said:
    It doesn't describe on the website, but do you check if the certificate was revoked too ?

I've seen at least several cases of ridiculously cheap certificates that suddenly have been revoked by supplier.

That's a good idea I didn't consider. Will add it to the dev-list.

@Abdussamad said:

No, this will resolve itself when the IP rep gets better.

• camjac251camjac251 Member
    edited June 2015

@Raymii said:

Mandrill will be better. You'll be able to see if emails failed to send. And you can use it alongside of Gmail, as mandrill is on smtp, sending email. 12k free emails a month so it wouldn't cost you anything. Trust me, gmail will not send every email. I used google apps with whmcs and what happened was gmail was blocking those emails from being sent.

Quite frankly Mandrill is a great idea, but then the OP would have to get some income from this to pay for emails over the free tier, maybe advertising or a small fee ? Just a food for thought.

• vijaivijai Member

Doesn't Letsencrypt's acme monitor and renew it automatically ?
    I know that its really so random of me to assume that everyone will be using something that hasn't even been released yet... But i guess its quite possible..

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

Clouvider said: maybe advertising

Please no. The world doesn't need more advertising.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • RaymiiRaymii Member

The email sending will resolve itself, I don't need mandrill or any other service. Also, advertising is not something I want on services like these.

Thanked by 2wych chrisp
  • @joepie91 said:
    Please no. The world doesn't need more advertising.

You mean that you're going to remove your ad in your sig or who ever managed to advertise until today is the lucky one and the rest can go f themselves? :D

Thanked by 1stackmutt
  • vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

Nothing wrong with advertising, in the e-mail you could include the best price (or top 5) to renew certificate with affiliate link.

edited June 2015

deadbeef said: You mean that you're going to remove your ad in your sig or who ever managed to advertise until today is the lucky one and the rest can go f themselves? :D

Consider this my minimum-necessary ethical concession to have a vaguely sustainable income. Hopefully.

vfuse said: Nothing wrong with advertising, in the e-mail you could include the best price (or top 5) to renew certificate with affiliate link.

Ton of stuff wrong with advertising, and fuck affiliate links especially. "Top X" with affiliate links is plain dishonest. The only thing it's a "top" list of, is of how much commission they pay you.

@joepie91 do you expect the author of this to pay himself so you can have a free service?

Advertising is a form of payment. You don't pay in cash, but you get to use the service.

OP may always decide to do free and paid version, where paid one is with no ads. Up to OP.

Clouvider said: @joepie91 do you expect the author of this to pay himself so you can have a free service?

Ideally, yes. The costs for this kind of service are negligible, as long as you don't add something like Mandrill into the mix.

Which is why I'm arguing against advertising here. The world doesn't need more advertising, and it's not necessary to keep this service afloat, if you're being a bit economical (ie. not using Mandrill or similar services when you can send e-mail yourself just fine). Encouraging somebody to unnecessarily spend money doesn't help anybody.

• @joepie91 said:
    Ideally, yes. The costs for this kind of service are negligible, as long as you don't add something like Mandrill into the mix.

You seem to value people's time at exactly 0 :)

Btw, I'm not picking on you, I find what you say interesting, but simply wrong (as in "not logical/consistent"). So, I'm prodding you by pointing the weak points in your arguments. If you don't want me to, just let me know :)

edited June 2015

deadbeef said: You seem to value people's time at exactly 0 :)

In a sense, yes, but in another sense, no. There's no requirement that every minute of somebody's time needs to be compensated, and I believe that is something that Raymii and I agree about (given his history of other 'community projects'). That doesn't mean that you can expect to be entitled to somebody dedicating massive amounts of time to something, without compensation, because they need to eat somehow.

That doesn't apply here, though - the maintenance for a project like this is low to non-existent. There's a one-time "time cost" for developing it, and after that it more or less runs itself. Perfect for a community project, and most likely doesn't get in the way of Raymii's income. Unless you add Mandrill, in which case there's a real cost factor, and that equation doesn't work anymore.

It's the difference between wanting something to make you money, and needing something to make you money.

deadbeef said: Btw, I'm not picking on you, I find what you say interesting, but simply wrong (as in "not logical/consistent"). So, I'm prodding you by pointing the weak points in your arguments. If you don't want me to, just let me know :)

That's fine (good, even), as long as it's done respectfully :)

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • deadbeefdeadbeef Member
    edited June 2015

@joepie91 said:
    That doesn't mean that you can expect to be entitled to somebody dedicating massive amounts of time to something

Does it mean that you can expect to be entitled to somebody decicating small amounts of time to something?

edited June 2015

deadbeef said: Does it mean that you can expect to be entitled to somebody decicating small amounts of time to something?

Depends on the context. If said person can afford the time, then yes - not necessarily on a personal entitlement level, but in the sense of selfless contribution to society. It's an ethical expectation more than anything else, really.

EDIT: I should note that I'm not really 'inventing' anything new here, just consistently applying common social expectations. This is the equivalent of helping somebody on the street carry their groceries to their car, when they obviously can't manage themselves.

It's a social expectation that exists to a degree, that doesn't seem to really have carried over to the internet for some reason.

• deadbeefdeadbeef Member
    edited June 2015

@joepie91 said:
    Depends on the context. If said person can afford the time, then yes - not necessarily on a personal entitlement level, but in the sense of selfless contribution to society. It's an ethical expectation more than anything else, really.

As long as it stays as an ethical expection, we are not in disagreement. Ethics are arbitrary and everyone is free to make ethical judgements to other people's actions.

The problem starts when those judgements pass over the ethical boundary and into the action terittory, i.e. when ethics is used as an excuse for force.

• DylanDylan Member

You're all arguing a moot point, you know.

Raymii said: Also, advertising is not something I want on services like these.

• @Dylan said:
    You're all arguing a moot point, you know.

Did I mention the OP's project at all?

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

back on topic people, we are not here to discuss **YOUR ** expectations of how others should value their time.

• RaymiiRaymii Member

The gmail spam issues are resolved for me as I expected. I'd like some other people with regular gmail accounts (I use google apps) to test it and see if they get the mails as spam or in their inbox. If these issues are resolved I can launch it and remove the beta stamp. Any other feedback is welcome as well still.