Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which OS requires least amount of reboots?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which OS requires least amount of reboots?

varwwwvarwww Member
edited June 2015 in General

Windows is out of the question. Linux OS usually require reboots when there is a kernel update. I have heard of http://kernelcare.com/ . I want to know which OS (&version) is rock stable and hardly requires reboots and is perfect for production without kernelcare.

I have noticed that Debian requires lesser reboots compared to Ubuntu.

Comments

• varwww said: Windows is out of the question. Linux OS usually require reboots when there is a kernel update. I have heard of http://kernelcare.com/ . I want to know which OS (&version) is rock stable and hardly requires reboots and is perfect for production without kernelcare.

I have noticed that Debian requires lesser reboots compared to Ubuntu.

Never update, and you'll never have to reboot :)

• DillybobDillybob Member
    edited June 2015

Basically Debian is the way to go. Several years ago I ran a forum with Debian 6 (nginx/mysql,etc), 64 bit with IPXcore for almost a year straight. Rebooted that bitch only 2 times.

• SSDBlazeSSDBlaze Member, Host Rep

@Dillybob said:
    Basically Debian is the way to go. Several years ago I ran a forum with Debian 6 (nginx/mysql,etc), 64 bit with IPXcore for almost a year straight. Rebooted that bitch only 2 times.

Same, I've had great luck with Debian. I've always had a preference for Debian myself :)

• blackblack Member

Linux 4.0 will have rebootless kernel updates.

Thanked by 2varwww linuxthefish
  • Basically, any Linux OS with the least amount of development activity? Or an older version stable OS like Debian squeeze, I suppose.

• SvenSven Member

One of my Kimsufi (3,90€/Month) server from OVH with nearly 500 day uptime. Im running Debian 7.

Did the screenshot today before reboot.

• k0nslk0nsl Member

My longest running box at the time of writing is actually a CuntOS:

Thanked by 2J1021 lifehome
  • MakenaiMakenai Member
    edited June 2015

You might want to read about Linux live patching, which is possible with 4.0+ kernel.
    http://kernelnewbies.org/Linux_4.0#head-9aa7c8499b42911a48c02b24f367bf2bc6db8606

It is still not done completely, but I don't think it is far from the goal.

Thanked by 1varwww
  • Sven said: Did the screenshot today before reboot.

What console?

• SvenSven Member
    edited June 2015

@Dillybob said:
    What console?

I think you mean the output of "htop".

• DillybobDillybob Member
    edited June 2015

Sven said: I think you mean the output of "htop".

Edit: Nevermind, it does :D

• SvenSven Member

@Dillybob said:

I am using PuttyTray -> https://puttytray.goeswhere.com/

Thanked by 1Dillybob
  • +1 for debian

• erkinerkin Member

Debian, CentOS, SuSe, etc. are all the same operating system; linux. Just different distributions not different operating systems.

• Stop being cheap, go and spend that 4 bucks on kernelcare that's well worth it.

Four bucks ($3.95) cmon... That's close to a happy meal right there.

On the side note; Debian is pretty robust and stable I have a node that's been running for 300 days without reboot.

• nexmark said: Stop being cheap, go and spend that 4 bucks on kernelcare that's well worth it.

Some might find it excessive to pay $4 for kernel patching on a server that costs $2 just to avoid rebooting the server twice a year

Thanked by 2alexvolk varwww
  • Easy. A good OpenVZ host. Never reboot again

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

It's not about which OS can run the highest numbers of days without reboot.

You can chose to upgrade or not. Some upgrades require reboots, some not.

If you don't care about the security, surely you can have 2015 days uptime on your dedicated, well, at least unless you get hacked in the meantime.

• sc754sc754 Member
    edited June 2015

You don't really need to update your kernel that often if at all... Just look at Centos 6, it's still running 2.6.x as standard. Pretty much all the program security updates don't require a reboot

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2015

CentOS 5
    13:45:03 up 1026 days, 13:06, 1 user, load average: 3.84, 4.63, 4.72

CentOS 6
    12:29:16 up 566 days, 5 min, 1 user, load average: 0.17, 0.28, 0.35

I <3 KernelCare but be warned, uptime is not always good. That 1026 day uptime server did not come back online after it was rebooted and the downtime was painful.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • I had over 1850 days on my dhcp server (running fedora 10 I believe), but the VMware hypervisor locked up yesterday, had to pull the power to get it and the other vms back. Bah...

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2015

sc754 said: Pretty much all the program security updates don't require a reboot

But kernel security updates do. That's why until live kernel updates are implemented, KernelCare and Ksplice are the only known option if you want rebootless, secure Linux.

• When some important update is pending and previous version is having some buggy things inside its need to get update that server aswell.Kernel updates improves and gives a freshy working after reboot/update.

• sc754sc754 Member

@Clouvider said:

Yeah true, still I never update my kernel and in 10 years have never had any problems with it

• Normally I reboot my private servers once a month.

• NomadNomad Member

The one that has the least PEBCAK?

• For stable distros the frequency of kernel updates isn't that much different. If there's an upstream kernel security patch your distro is eventually going to receive it. Unless you exclude it / ignore it, you'll get it. You can follow kernel change logs and make a judgement based on that. The choice of rebooting, or not, and when, is yours.

If reboots for kernels bothers you, you can use something like kernelcare, as others mention.

Or, if you don't really need full virtualization, use OpenVz from a provider who uses kernelcare. No VM kernel, no reboots :)

• I'm coming here to throw my hat in for Debian. Then again I would also say Ubuntu though I haven't used it as much as Debian.

• sinsin Member

Ksplice is in Debian's repos, never used it though.

• sin said: Ksplice is in Debian's repos, never used it though.

KSplice is locked in by Oracle. KSplice is no longer open source since Oracle bought it. The ones in the repo are older unmaintained version.

Look for the development of Redhat (kpatch) or Suse (kgraft) version of Ksplice. Whichever one gets accepted by the community more.

Thanked by 1sin