Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Self Hosted Monitoring
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Self Hosted Monitoring

UmairUmair Member

Hello,

Asking for some suggestions here again. I am looking for a self hosted solution to monitoring a small fleet of servers mostly running LEMP stack. (only 2 on cPanel). Right now I have a total of 8 servers (virtual & dedi mix). Don't expect it to grow a lot in future either. (May be 20/25 max)

I have tried Nagios (in various forms)
Also recently tested Zabbix.

Both are pretty good but it feels too much for what I need. (And kinda messing with too much stuff)

I am looking for a simple (yet powerful) way to monitor servers and app performance. Along with CPU load/ IO / uptime etc, I need Nginx/MySQL detail monitoring. Also should be able to work well with alerting tools like PagerDuty.

I have been looking at M/Monit. Seems pretty cool actually with the use of Monit. I just wish their pricing was a lil more relaxing. (PS. I don't mind paying a "small" one time license fee for it either)

(I might be asking for too much, but thought I would ask away).

Comments

• gonggogonggo Member

librenms.org

Thanked by 3cassa halczy Umair
  • ZappieZappie Member, Host Rep, LIR

If you feel like zabbbix is too much have alook at observium simply monitoring with a little eye candy. But does what you wanted above.

• @Zappie said:
    If you feel like zabbbix is too much have alook at observium simply monitoring with a little eye candy. But does what you wanted above.

I'd pick librenms over observium, librenms is forked from observium but the community behind it has a much better attitude to support than the orginal obvservium developers

Thanked by 2cassa halczy
  • patrick7patrick7 Member, LIR

Observium, Cacti, Munin

• UmairUmair Member

@gonggo said:
    librenms.org

Didn't know about that one. Will check it out.

I forgot to mention, I have used obvservium as well. (Actually still have a setup with CloudCommando).

I don't know if it was their setup or something I missed, but the alerting was kinda broken at best.

Also it kinda seem more towards Network setups. (With all those devices and networking stuff)

• k0nslk0nsl Member

What about Monitorix? Naturally only does individual, as in you cannot monitor a whole fleet of servers. At least, I don't think you can.

But that's what I use for my mail server and I like it :)

Thanked by 1Mitchfizz05
  • ZshenZshen Member

I am enjoying librenms.

• SadySady Member

Librenms looks good,
    Replying here to watch further replies :)

• UmairUmair Member
    edited June 2015

Found an interesting one.. www.amon.cx

Anyone ever used it ? Any reviews ?

• UmairUmair Member

Ok so I have been testing Icinga 2 for last few hours. Not impressed.

Still looking for suggestions

• sinsin Member

k0nsl said: What about Monitorix? Naturally only does individual, as in you cannot monitor a whole fleet of servers. At least, I don't think you can.

Monitorix looks pretty sweet

• I've got my own simple monitoring at pinger.droidzone.in. No mysql stats though.

• Does someone know of a self hosted solution to monitor uptime by just icmp / tcp pings? Just like e.g. UptimeRobot but self hosted. I'm not interested in installing stuff on every server and ping stats are enough for me.

• wychwych Member

@nexusrain said:
    Does someone know of a self hosted solution to monitor uptime by just icmp / tcp pings? Just like e.g. UptimeRobot but self hosted. I'm not interested in installing stuff on every server and ping stats are enough for me.

smokeping?

• DanielBDanielB Member
    edited June 2015

Why aren't you impressed? (Following this thread as I'm looking for the same thing and had Icinga on my list.

@Umair said:
    Ok so I have been testing Icinga 2 for last few hours. Not impressed.

• cassacassa Member

@DanielB said:
    Why aren't you impressed? (Following this thread as I'm looking for the same thing and had Icinga on my list.

Thanked by 1DanielB
  • UmairUmair Member

@Droidzone said:
    I've got my own simple monitoring at pinger.droidzone.in. No mysql stats though.

Nice. But it's a lil too simple :)

@DanielB said:

Well to be honest I was simply lost with it. Their doc contains how to do things via CLI. Their web GUI has no info. I spent hours on the gui and couldn't figure how to do basic things. (adding host/ deleting / alerting / scheduling).

I can spend hours but not days for it. Compare to that, Zabbix was easy but still think it has way too much in it.

PS. Are not many people here using self hosting monitoring?? I was expecting a bit more replies/discussion.

• @Umair, specifically addition of what would, in your opinion, make it complete?

• UmairUmair Member

Still looking for some suggestions ... Anyone ??

• wychwych Member

@Umair said:
    Still looking for some suggestions ... Anyone ??

What features/view exactly is missing from the suggestions that you want/need?

• Umair said: Still looking for some suggestions ... Anyone ??

>
    +1 for Observium

• cassacassa Member

Munin maybe?

• Check out this post with some good Nagios alternatives. Zenoss, Groundwork, and Hyperic HQ are three of the others they break down. https://www.futurehosting.com/blog/open-source-server-monitoring-what-are-your-options/