Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID
Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

In this Discussion

How is this even possible?

How is this even possible?

24khost24khost Member
edited October 2012 in General

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?p=8384771#post8384771

1 Core CPU 50 GB RAID 10 Disk Space 2 GB Dedicated RAM (Guaranteed) 500 GB on 100 MBPS or 10 MBPS unmetered 4 FREE Dedicated IP address included cPanel ($15 per month) Softaculous (Free with cPanel) Fully Managed Services ($30 per month)

Price: $9.99 per month (With price match guarantee. If you find a better price, simply let us know and we will match it or even beat it.)

so lets break this down.

4 ip's at lowest price I have ever seen $0.75 for ipv4 = 3.00 2 gb ram = $2.00 50 gb space $2.00 1 core = 2.00 500 GB Bandwidth 1.00

$10.00 where is the profit?

Comments

• Guess it depends on how big they are tbh and what type of discount they get on licensing

ChicagoVPS.net - OpenVZ/Xen/KVM Based VPS's / Great Support! / 6 Geographically Diverse Locations: Buffalo, Chicago, Los Angeles, Atlanta, Dallas, New Jersey

• Fully managed... Well, we will see, have seen crazy offers before. M

Who's General Failure, and why is he reading my drive A: ?

• @24khost said: cPanel ($15 per month)

cPanel costs 15 additional dollars. It's not included.

• Never mind I mis read the post. You are correct breton. I thought it said it was included.

• @Maounique said:

Fully managed... Well, we will see, have seen crazy offers before.

It's not fully managed, management is for 30$/month

• I don't think they offer the cpanel license for free.

@24khost said: cPanel ($15 per month)

• Where's that cartoon about volume? ;)

• MaouniqueMaounique Member
    edited October 2012

Even so, 2 GB ram will be like 3 $ at least on an oversold server, 1 $ for the storage, IPs can be almost free for some ppl, so wont count them, 1 $ for bw, 1 $ for hw, we have 6 already. I would say at least 1 $ for licenses and other fixed costs, makes 7, 3 remaining to account for wages, support staff, taxes, no, it wont work unless they sell at a loss to launch. By support staff i do not mean the payed support, just those that answer tickets when something is down, or a bug in provisioning, or network slow, whatever. However, vedran is right, i did misread :) M

• @Maounique said: 3 remaining to account for wages, support staff, taxes, no, it wont work unless they sell at a loss to launch.

It's actually much more than $3 as some of your numbers are way off, but even at $3 when dealing with this, it is plenty.

@Maounique said: By support staff i do not mean the payed support, just those that answer tickets when something is down, or a bug in provisioning, or network slow, whatever.

Even I pay myself for this, you would run a real rough operation ;)

Hostigation High Resource Hosting - SolusVM OpenVZ/KVM VPS
  • @24khost said: I thought it said it was included.

Think you should correct the main post so that it does not sound like you are trying to smear others :)

http://BornIn.Asia - FREE shared hosting and subdomain service for LET members! Click here to see how to get one yourself! 96Forum: Low End VPS Discussions. Selling domains with GApp with various user counts (10 year reg incl. for some), PM for details.

• @zhuanyi fixed

Thanked by 1zhuanyi
  • $30 for managed + $15 for cPanel and finally $9.99 for the vps = $54.99 a month.

And I added that up without a calculator, go me....

I love Laravel

• Best part is there website is already down.

• @24khost, still up for me? "http://webhats.net/hosting/" ?

ps: that blonde girl is smoking hot

D4jsp - Where virgins roam free
  • @Nexus back up now. Look at the wht thread it has had problems.

• I am not surprised, usually after a listing some kid or more organize some DDoS :) M

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member
    edited October 2012

Also read reply of wht members.

1. your site ite not working on my side
    2. I was thinking to order one VPS for testing but after looking at your website.. which was down for couple of hours..
    3. Still down
    Cheap $9/Year Hosting - Cheap Windows VPS & Linux Xen VPS at affordable price. FlameTix.com - cPanel/SolusVM/CloudLinux License - BTC/PM
  • Considering 128GB of RAM for one box, they are going to be overselling the disk I/O and CPU like crazy before they sell out that box.

We were putting 8xRAID10 SATA on 32GB of RAM. At that ratio they would need 32xSATA disks to match the disk I/O needed to power well performing virtual servers.

ByteOnSite :: Affordable cloud VPS, 7 years of experience

• I am usually not in the favor of an argument especially when my company is in spotlight but I would still be glad to take a minute here and clarify a few of the accusations.

Starting with the website being down. While it was unfortunate that our main site was down last week, the fact still remains that this is not a trend that you should be concluding something off. The site was totally down for a period of about 40 minutes and we took every effort in bringing it back online right from the moment the downtime was spotted. The last I recall the site went down was in June 2011 when a disk failed. You should realize that an occasional downtime, once in a while (most importantly a downtime that does NOT affect any other hosted clients) is not something that should be a deciding factor for the question 'How good a provider is?'

As for the Disk I/O, I am not sure if any of you guys have a VPS purchased of that deal. But if you did, you would know that the I/O speeds aren't bad either.

Below is a brand new server that we just setup today and we are using SATA 2 Drives out here. Just check out the speeds:

[root@palladium ~]# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync 16384+0 records in 16384+0 records out 1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 1.9141 s, 561 MB/s

Agreed, the speeds will degrade when the server starts to get filled however, it still wouldn't be that bad. Probably will go down to 250 to 350 (ranging) when its full. Not that bad for a $10 VPS which comes with 2 GB of RAM and 4 IPs(justified), is it??

I am not saying the speeds are very good, neither do we claim to be offering the cheapest or the best deals available. I am only saying that for the price we ask, the specs we offer and most importantly true 24 x 7 support (support available anytime of the day, any day of the year and would respond to you within 60 mins max, with average response time of 30 mins or less), is the package really that bad.

In my opinion the only ones who should comment about our services are the end users who have experienced the service and are willing to give a fair and unbiased review. I am not saying that we have 100% satisfied customers. Though even at this price we try to keep our support and services up to the highest standards possible.

• TazTaz Disabled
    edited October 2012

Nvm I am bored

Time is good and also bad. Life is short and that is sad. Dont worry be happy thats my style. No matter what happens i won't lose my smile!

• gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member without signature
    edited October 2012

Keep in mind that they are running "also running" servers with 512 GB RAM

2gb for 10$/month is actually doable (remember ChicagoVPS 2gb 7$/month) but i still wouldn't touch a site with whois protection

• That server is already full (long back). Other than that, yes we do have whois protection enabled and like it or not I am not going to justify why. Other than that the domain you linked is also not owned by us.

• Do you notice that it is $3 more than Chicago VPSs 2Gb offering? If Chicago can do it someone else can. The simple fact is the amount of hardware available outstrips entrepreneurs and developers ability to utilize it, assuming that some users are interested in the service, and it keeps on growing. There is only so much time people can spend glued to computer screens in a day and how many different things they can give their attention, unless they are addicts. The only unusual thing here is the extra 3IPs

Intel has been moaning about this issue for a while.

• @24khost said: at lowest price I have ever seen $0.75 for ipv4

You are not living long enough in the industry.

Selling multiple 2000-user GApps :) Shoot me a message to make an offer.

Thanked by 1Spirit
  • Been in business 2 years. At this time though with ipv4 supposedly running out, the prices are on the rise for ipv4

• @24khost said: Been in business 2 years. At this time though with ipv4 supposedly running out, the prices are on the rise for ipv4

An eye opener for you: https://www.arin.net/fees/fee_schedule.html

• Not what i meant @web_host.

More the fee's from the providers that own the ip's not directly from arin.

• I agree with gsrdgrdghd. Personally, I would NOT put any of my intellectual property on any server run by those who hide their identity. Not saying this particular host is not trustworthy, only saying that is my preference because I enjoy sleeping at night.

• https://budgetvm.com/linux-vps.php

Here's $10 for 2GB, cant speak for reliability though.

• @detpack said: https://budgetvm.com/linux-vps.php

Here's $10 for 2GB, cant speak for reliability though.

There is a "Budget" in their name, so we wouldn't expect more :D MyVPS is working just fine except they got random restart or something every few days. (Uptime about 5 - 6 days then reset :D)

• No, Its Impossible :)))

Cheap $9/Year Hosting - Cheap Windows VPS & Linux Xen VPS at affordable price. FlameTix.com - cPanel/SolusVM/CloudLinux License - BTC/PM
  • @DewlanceVPS said: No, Its Impossible :)))

yeah, whatever

Thanked by 2Infinity connercg
  • bitbit Member

I got one in each location. Still need to set them up. However I may drop them as they don't use secure connection to the client area or their VPS CP.

• @vdnet said: Considering 128GB of RAM for one box, they are going to be overselling the disk I/O and CPU like crazy before they sell out that box.

We were putting 8xRAID10 SATA on 32GB of RAM. At that ratio they would need 32xSATA disks to match the disk I/O needed to power well performing virtual servers.

Unless they have SSD cache? :)

BitAccel - OpenVZ VPS / IRC,VPN,Anything Legal & Unrivaled Support!
  • @Corey if you use SSD Cached disks in the node and then have sans for the actual data you can make it work better.

• @24khost said: @Corey if you use SSD Cached disks in the node and then have sans for the actual data you can make it work better.

SAN???? wtf.... no then you have to have costly fiber links between the server and the san and a massively expensive san... might as well use local disks on all the servers with SSD cache.

• its expensive but would give you your large iops!

• @24khost said: its expensive but would give you your large iops!

Might as well keep the local disks to have dedicated IOPS per server.... rather than shared IOPS on a SAN.

• I know I was being funny Corey!

• SSD cache is really not required if the setup is proper and you use good disks and most importantly an excellent controller. I am not against a pure SSD or a cached setup. We have tried the cached setup too however, it did not turn out to be significantly fruitful.

Our new setups are able to deliver disk i/o of ~ 600 MBPS on pure SATA 2 disks. This would at most drop to 50% when the server is full. This means even when the server is full you should expect about 250 - 350 MBPS, I wouldn't say its anywhere near poor disk I/O. We are not competing against pure SSD setups and since our business model requires more disk space on VMs, these SATA setups work out perfect for us.

Somewhere near December, we plan to start our new line of pure SSD offerings too. This would utilize 16 + drives of pure SSD with LSi MegaRAID 9260 16i. We are trying to keep the price margin very close to the SATA VM pricing with more than double the disk speed. We will give out a few test VMs to loyal customers and selected testers. Lets see how it goes on.

• @web_host your problem probably lies with LSI MegaRaid controllers..... we used to purely use them but adaptec seems to have it down better. You'll have to spend a few extra bucks but it is well worth it.

• web_hostweb_host Member
    edited October 2012

I would choose to disagree. We have tested Adaptec and it didnt work out anywhere close to the LSI. There are numerous providers who may also choose to disagree with your statement. But I personally believe this is more of a personal choice factor. Most importantly, a RAID controller alone is not the sole contributing factor towards a proper setup.

Besides what problem are we talking about?? For a provider who uses pure SATA drives, I really dont think the speeds are anywhere near unacceptable.

• @web_host said: Besides what problem are we talking about?? For a provider who uses pure SATA drives, I really dont think the speeds are anywhere near unacceptable.

The problem of SSD cache not turning up enough results for you.

• web_hostweb_host Member
    edited October 2012

@Corey said: The problem of SSD cache not turning up enough results for you.

This is what I said earlier:

"We have tried the cached setup too however, it did not turn out to be significantly fruitful."

In case you did not comprehend it correctly, it means that there were very few noticeable differences however, it lead to a drastic increase in price and we did not find it suitable for our business model. You should remember that our objective is not to hit the highest disk i/o and to compete with any provider offering high numbers. We rather tend to establish a balance between price and performance and choose to go with a setup that's ideal from both perspectives.

Furthermore, we are not the best in the industry in terms of server performance, support, pricing etc and neither do we have any such plans. Our objective is to setup a correct balance on performance, stability, uptime, support and most importantly pricing.