Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to use IP with no gateway
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to use IP with no gateway

ronaldgrnronaldgrn Member

Is it possible to use additional /32's for VPS's? i.e single IP subnets with no gateway..

If so, how does one go about doing that?

Comments

• HassanHassan Member, Patron Provider

Are the IPs already added as /32's on the host node?

• What type of virtualisation are you using?

• You would just have a single VLAN for the /24 subnet and they would all share the same gateway, most likely .1. Not sure why you would hack it up into a ton of /32's your just asking for a ton of extra work.

Cheers!

• @MarkTurner said:
    What type of virtualisation are you using?

I planned on using ESXi.

@TheLinuxBug said:
    You would just have a single VLAN for the /24 subnet and they would all share the same gateway, most likely .1. Not sure why you would hack it up into a ton of /32's your just asking for a ton of extra work.

Cheers!

I didn't ask for em.. I requested more ip's and thats what i was given...

• Are you sure that they were just not referring to the ips and how they were delegated? a /32 is a term used when your setting up a specific subnet, but they might also just be referring to giving you single ips. If they are in the the same C class, it is likely they are not VLANing each ip, but just delegating them to you that way. This would mean that you would use the same gateway for your existing ips with the new ip. There would not be a specific subnet setup as you would with a /29 for example where one of your ips would be the gateway. Usually if you are setting up a subnet with 1 ip, gateway and broadcast you would use a /30. /32 is commonly used for loopback or peering only.

At a glance this article may define it better: here

Cheers!

• If you are going to use ESXi, then you probably better with a larger subnet. /32 are better suited for shared hosting or OpenVZ where the host system will take care of routing.

I am assuming these are IPs provided by Delimiter as they seem to be one of the main ones on here doing this. If thats the case then you are going to need to setup some form router on ESXi. This is not a good solution. I would just get a /29 and be done with it then you can just point traffic to a gateway.

• Eww, that's a really crappy way to give out ips to customers to begin with @MarkTurner surprised that it doesn't cause more confusion than just this thread. Especially if your not providing documentation up front on how to use these ips.

Cheers!

• ronaldgrnronaldgrn Member
    edited May 2015

@MarkTurner said:
    If you are going to use ESXi, then you probably better with a larger subnet. /32 are better suited for shared hosting or OpenVZ where the host system will take care of routing.

I am assuming these are IPs provided by Delimiter as they seem to be one of the main ones on here doing this. If thats the case then you are going to need to setup some form router on ESXi. This is not a good solution. I would just get a /29 and be done with it then you can just point traffic to a gateway.

I was actually trying to use pfsense to deal with the routing but was proving more difficult than I planned. Will just go /29.

• @TheLinuxBug - Customers can only order 4 x /32 so if they are a VPS provider or someone using them for virtualisation then they'll take a subnet.

The whole idea of /32's was a compromise for customers running cPanel and needed a couple of extra IPs for services.

• @MarkTurner Gotcha. Thanks for the explanation.

Cheers!

• @ronaldgrn said:
    I was actually trying to use pfsense to deal with the routing but was proving more difficult than I planned. Will just go /29.

You need to add an interface route pointing towards the gateway IP, you also will probably need to manipulate the routing table in CLI as the pfSense WebUI will probably throw a validation error since with a /32 any gateway you give it will be outside the subnet,

/32 IP's can be made to work with pfSense and VyOS as well as most linux distros, I've not tried with windows

With Vyos you cannot do it with the Vyos/Vyatta CLI, it will accept it and it will look like it's done it but you won't actually be able to pass traffic, the interface route needs to be created in the underlying Linux CLI, I think last time I had to do it on vyos I added the Ip route add commands to a startup script (Was on an OVH machine that I don't have anymore)

With pfSense again you can add the commands to the startup scripts.

Sorry I would give the commands but I don't have a machine that uses /32 IP's at the moment and I can't remember them off the top of my head, I'd need to try them first to make sure the ones I think are needed are correct.

Thanked by 1ronaldgrn