Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS Providers offering snapshots & backup?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS Providers offering snapshots & backup?

attarattar Member

Anyone know of a VPS provider with working live snapshots and an easy to use backup system in the Pacific Northwest? I'd go with Luna Node or another provider like them, but 80ms from the PNW is too far, need something within 20 or 30ms.

Comments

• Vultr does live snapshots. Not sure how the backup system works.

Think I saw that Wable added snapshots haven't tested them however.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

We offer them in Seattle

• SpeedyKVMSpeedyKVM Banned, Member

@nightshade said:

Think I saw that Wable added snapshots haven't tested them however.

Yes, we did. Snapshots can be created manually, or on a schedule. Snapshots can be used as templates to spin up new VPS (even in new cities), or used to restore your existing VPS to a previous state.

edited May 2015

@attar said:
    Anyone know of a VPS provider with working live snapshots and an easy to use backup system in the Pacific Northwest? I'd go with Luna Node or another provider like them, but 80ms from the PNW is too far, need something within 20 or 30ms.

You can see our ping times to your location here; https://wable.com/faq#faq-6

You may need to hit the page, wait 30 seconds and hit it again as it takes a while to probe your IP. We have Seattle, NYC, and Dallas on www.wable.com

Thanked by 1ryanarp
  • Vultr, iwStack

• attarattar Member
    edited May 2015

@Awmusic12635 how does it work? I've looked at Impact VPS a few times but passed it over due to your FAQ saying "We do not take backups of your servers." Additionally, any plans for locations outside Seattle?

@Incero any plans for IPv6? That is the only thing holding me up with Wable. Gonna need 4 to 6 VPSes in different locations for this full project, and Wable would cover 70% of our server needs location wise.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2015

@attar said:
    Awmusic12635 how does it work? I've looked at Impact VPS a few times but passed it over due to your FAQ saying "We do not take backups of your servers." Additionally, any plans for locations outside Seattle?

that is correct we do not take backups. We do provide the option for you to snapshot your VM that you can use to restore if needed. We don't however recommend them to be your only backups. If the nose fully fails, the snapshots would be gone as well. There is no charge for this

We have plans to expand to other cities in the near future

• attarattar Member

@Awmusic12635 one last question, if I buy now I'll get IPv4 addresses you own, right? I just want to avoid the IPv4 change your currently going through.

@attar said:

Incero any plans for IPv6? That is the only thing holding me up with Wable. Gonna need 4 to 6 VPSes in different locations for this full project, and Wable would cover 70% of our server needs location wise.

Yes IPv6 is coming "soon." :-). For development we pretty much work based off of user requests here; https://wable.uservoice.com

• J1021J1021 Member

nightshade said: Vultr does live snapshots. Not sure how the backup system works.

Their backup system will take a snapshot at an hourly interval once daily and retain 2 snapshots on a rotating basis. It works but the 2 day retention is a let down.