Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MX handler on separate domain
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

MX handler on separate domain

SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

I am looking to make domainA.com to handle mail for domainB.com, so all I need is to add MX record as :

domainA.com 3600 MX  5 domainB.com

And then configure MTA on domainB server to accept mail for domainA just by configure mail on that server for it.

So, that setup should work, do we have chance being flagged as spam even if we configure proper DKIM and spf ?

Comments

• https://domain.yandex.com/

Maybe you need this.

• joereidjoereid Member

That's just how email works. Even with dkim and spf you can still get flagged as spam. Reverse dns, smtp banner, ip reputation and content of the message all are factors.

• jadenjaden Member

You could use https://www.mail-tester.com/ to see if your IP is on any blacklists.

• NavynNavyn Member

@joereid Use DMARC authentication and check your email header they should be proper & most important your message content should not include spammy keywords .

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

This should work. MX itself doesn't have anything to do with authentication as long as proper SPF and/or DKIM is setup.

• sleddogsleddog Member

@Saahib said:
    I am looking to make domainA.com to handle mail for domainB.com, so all I need is to add MX record as :

domainA.com 3600 MX  5 domainB.com

And then configure MTA on domainB server to accept mail for domainA just by configure mail on that server for it.

So, that setup should work, do we have chance being flagged as spam even if we configure proper DKIM and spf ?

Well first you should be providing a FQDN for the MX records. Something like...

domainA.com 3600 MX  5 mailserver.mydomain.com
    domainB.com 3600 MX  5 mailserver.mydomain.com

Then, ensure your mailserver MTA identifies itself as "mailserver.mydomain.com".

And configure that MTA to accept mail for domainA.com and domainB.com.

Then, set rDNS for mailserver.mydomain.com.

For SPF, configure DNS for domainA.com and domainB.com.

For DKIM, configure mailserver.mydomain.com to sign outgoing mail for both domainA.com and domainB.com

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran
    edited May 2015

Yap, already done all those and things are working as expected ;-)
    You know, last 4-5 days, I have really gained some insight knowledge about mailservers and stuff as been studying and experimenting on it..
    Now looking into failover / backup mail server for this domain.. will get back here if need any help.

• sleddogsleddog Member

Saahib said: You know, last 4-5 days, I have really gained some insight knowledge about mailservers and stuff as been studying and experimenting on it..

And that's how it's done :) Congrats.