Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID
Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

In this Discussion

Is it possible to run OpenVPN AS on 128 MB Ram?

Is it possible to run OpenVPN AS on 128 MB Ram?

chinmoychinmoy Member
edited October 2012 in Help

Hello Guys,

I'm looking to run OpenVPN access server on a 128 MB ram Vps. Preferably on the KVM micro plan of Edis.at. My question is, can 128 MB ram do the job? This'll be strictly for my personal use. Usage will include Youtube/Spotify and some p2p along with other regular activities.

:)

Tagged:

Comments

• jhadleyjhadley Member
    edited October 2012

It's possible on a 32-bit system, but it will be tight. I would go for something very slightly higher or OpenVZ based if possible.

A LowEnd* user walks into a bar and asks for a drink. While the bartender pours the drink, the user opens 8 tickets. When the drink is ready, the user opens a 9th ticket demanding to know why the drink isn't free.

Thanked by 1chinmoy
  • Hi,

Could you tell me how OpenVZ will be helpful? :)

• @chinmoy said: Could you tell me how OpenVZ will be helpful? :)

You have less overheads as you're not running a full operating system.

A LowEnd* user walks into a bar and asks for a drink. While the bartender pours the drink, the user opens 8 tickets. When the drink is ready, the user opens a 9th ticket demanding to know why the drink isn't free.

• Does OpenVPN AS use that much ram? I have a Edis KVM Micro aswell and I run Munin + Nginx + OpenVPN on it with no problem (just normal OpenVPN without control panel). According to munin I always have about 20-30MB of RAM free

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • @Chan Which OS you are running on the KVM Micro?

• Apology for Terror: New free speech offense, used to silence people criticizing the governments for failing to address the real issues driving the radicalization (religious (christian-islamic), political (left-right), etc)

• I'm running Debian wheezy on an EDIS KVM Micro w/ OpenVPN AS and have plenty of memory to spare.

Proudly featuring no affiliate links

Thanked by 2chinmoy djvdorp
  • On 128 you are sure it works well, on 64 also works if it has some vswap, but I am not sure it will play nice all the time. M

Apology for Terror: New free speech offense, used to silence people criticizing the governments for failing to address the real issues driving the radicalization (religious (christian-islamic), political (left-right), etc)

Thanked by 1chinmoy
  • David_PDavid_P Member
    edited October 2012

It runs fine on 128mb! I have an VPN there on a KVM micro.

I ran minstall on debian squeeze.

followed this: http://docs.openvpn.net/how-to-tutorialsguides/virtual-platforms/install-openvpn-access-server-on-linux-debian-6/

• @chinmoy Debian 6

• I run it on a VPS that size without any problems at all. 128MB is fine.

• Thanks for the reply guys. Looks like OpenVPN AS on 128 MB ram is a go!! I'll give a try and let everyone know how it went. :)