Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Interested locations for virtual servers?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Interested locations for virtual servers?

eugene_eugene_ Member
edited May 2015 in General

I'm interested to hear what locations that users are interested or providers will do well. They will be considered more 'exotic' and rare to find.

Excluded (common)

• United States
  • United Kingdom
  • Netherlands
  • Germany
  • France
  • Romania
  • Luxembourg

-Singapore

Not viable:

• Iceland

The costs for hosting in Iceland is incredibly high due to import taxes, hardware and bandwidth costs. Most networks in Iceland pass through the UK with sub par transit providers such as Cogent. Even though may be known for 'privacy sensitive', other countries can be better.

• Greenland (no public offers available).

• Georgia (mainly co.ge and inbound connectivity is Level3 via Sofia only).
  • China

ICP license in China makes situations very difficult. Port 80 can be open or closed depending on ISP. There are many cloud providers available already.

Asia

• Please write your input.

Hopefully at LEB prices!

Thanks!

Desired locations?
  1. Where would you buy a virtual server in Europe?75 votes
    1. Estonia
        4.00%
    2. Sweden
        9.33%
    3. Finland/Denmark/Norway
      33.33%
    4. CIS region (Russia, Belarus etc)
      12.00%
    5. Yugoslavia (Serbia, Croatia etc)
      10.67%
    6. Cyprus/Greece
      10.67%
    7. Spain
        6.67%
    8. Others! (please write)
      13.33%
  2. Where would you buy a VM in Asia?75 votes
    1. Taiwan
      12.00%
    2. Hong Kong
      20.00%
    3. South Korea
      17.33%
    4. Kazakhstan
      30.67%
    5. India
      13.33%
    6. Others! (write in post)
        6.67%

Comments

• You don't consider France as common? lol

• eugene_eugene_ Member

@Issam2204 said:
    You don't consider France as common? lol

I've edited :)
    I have also added a poll.

• I'd be interested in Japan (VPN). Many services are restricted outside of the country.

It's not really exotic (as the market is developed), but I don't see low end offers.

• eugene_eugene_ Member

@Issam2204 said:
    I'd be interested in Japan (VPN). Many services are restricted outside of the country.

It's not really exotic (as the market is developed), but I don't see low end offers.

Are there not already offers at Linode, providers that use Softlayer and such? True, which there is a less amount of low end offers in Japan.

• TrafficTraffic Member
    edited May 2015

Many of the locations you listed aren't actually that exotic.

I only see these as exotic locations out of those you posted: Yugoslavia, Cyprus, Kazakhstan

• J1021J1021 Member

@eugene_ said:
    Are there not already offers at Linode, providers that use Softlayer and such? True, which there is a less amount of low end offers in Japan.

Linode is cheap but not by LE* standards ;)

• CIS locations, like Belarus.

• TrafficTraffic Member

@KwiceroLTD said:
    CIS locations, like Belarus.

https://www.google.com/search?q=vps+site:by

• @eugene_ said:

I also tried Vultr, but even their lowest package isn't a low end price.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@Issam2204 said:

If you only need it for VPN, why not LES.

• @Nekki said:
    If you only need it for VPN, why not LES.

True but the 75Gb of bandwidth is a real bottleneck :(

• J1021J1021 Member

@Issam2204 said:

$5/mo is within LE* price guidelines.

• @kcaj said:
    $5/mo is within LE* price guidelines.

Don't get me wrong, $5 is still cheap considering what they offer. The point is that I need less RAM and disk and paying something I use 10% of its capabilities it's not ideal. LES would be great but again, 75 GB of bandwidth are quite limited.

• WilliamWilliam Member

CIS locations, like Belarus.

Not going to happen, BY law requires records of every customer (including ID copy) which in turn requires a BY ID card. Activesolutions sold "cloud" in BY before to foreigners (after sending passport, address and payment proof) but stopped because of that (and partly because their Russian bank that processes their CC charges forced them to stop).

Payment to Belarus might as well also violate embargoes (UN, US, EU - Human rights issues and no free elections (or elections at all)) of your country (very similar to Iran but not as strict) - Even just buying with knowledge that (part) of this money ends up in Iran/Belarus/North Korea/Eritrea (and some others) can be illegal already.

• WilliamWilliam Member

The costs for hosting in Iceland is incredibly high due to import taxes, hardware and bandwidth costs

Not true. There is no import tax for servers (specifically excluded) and BW is ~4EUR/Mbit (Backhaul to UK) to ~15EUR/Mbit (Mixed Backhaul to UK and Canada)

• what about Poland (Polska) ?

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Issam2204 said: True but the 75Gb of bandwidth is a real bottleneck :(

How much stuff are you streaming every month?

• fitvpnfitvpn Member

Scandic locations always interested. Kazakhstan as a exotic location :)

• @Nekki said:
    How much stuff are you streaming every month?

I'd say 500GB to be safe.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Issam2204 said: I'd say 500GB to be safe.

How do you watch all this stuff?

• gonggogonggo Member

Indonesia (jakarta or Surabaya)

• MuZoMuZo Member

William said: Activesolutions sold "cloud" in BY before to foreigners (after sending passport, address and payment proof) but stopped because of that (and partly because their Russian bank that processes their CC charges forced them to stop).

I was looking at all the activecloud regional websites and I saw that in the Russian one you can pick Europe location which according to their datacenter page is DPC Beltelecom. Does this means that Russians IDs are accepted? Do you think foreigners can order it going through the Russian company?

• @Nekki said:
    How do you watch all this stuff?

It's me and a couple of friends :)

• joereidjoereid Member

Poland, small and cheap. 128MB KVM or Xen for around $20/yr

• fitvpnfitvpn Member

William said: Payment to Belarus might as well also violate embargoes (UN, US, EU - Human rights issues and no free elections (or elections at all)) of your country (very similar to Iran but not as strict) -

Who consider this, which human rights? EU and US sanctions against Russia just returned back by restrictions for foreign banks for payments in Russia and CIS. Even Ukrainian LiqPay stop accept non CIS credit cards for payments for now

• Anywhere cheap that allows warez

• mintmint Member

Hong Kong and South Korea. I've seen 1 Core/4GB Memory/50GB Disk/300GB Bandwidth for around $60 a year in Korea. but I want LEB ones.

• PwnerPwner Member

@themt said:
    Hong Kong and South Korea. I've seen 1 Core/4GB Memory/50GB Disk/300GB Bandwidth for around $60 a year in Korea. but I want LEB ones.

Although it may not be advertised as an LEB provider, that price meets the LEB standards at $5/month.

• Mmm... any offers in Hawaii?

• fitvpnfitvpn Member

eLohkCalb said: Mmm... any offers in Hawaii?

Also Alaska and Puerto Rico :)