Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GUI on ubuntu 14.04
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

GUI on ubuntu 14.04

a7medo778a7medo778 Member
edited May 2015 in Help

hi there
i got a simple question,being a windows system admin, i am kinda noobish in linux ssh vps management, so if i am installing nomachine on a regular ubuntu 14.04, and enabled the desktop environment

how much resources am i sacrificing in terms of RAM/CPU ? and will i lose any other functionality ?
or simply, is it worth it ?

or should i just go with a windows vps ? (though i am afraid of some components compatibility)

regards
ahmad

Comments

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited May 2015

Just SSH works with 64MB Memory, GUI needs to work at least 512MB or better 1GB.

And it burns a lot more CPU on the GUI.

• @Infinity580 my instance is 2GB so i am covered there, are we talking about 256mb for the system or even more ? cpu ?
    is there any benchmarks out there to check out ?

• emgemg Veteran
    edited May 2015

Rather than installing a desktop GUI, you might consider installing a control panel for managing your server. Control panels are accessed using a browser. They use more RAM than doing everything from the SSH command line, but not as much as a desktop GUI.

Webmin is free and very capable, but it is challenging to use. cPanel costs money but is popular and easier to use.

(These control panels are not the same as the VPS management control panel that comes with your VPS, such as SolusVM, which performs an entirely different function.)

• Install a web control panel. In most cases it's more effective than spending MB on gui.

• teperteper Member

Use webmin.
    The best part is its free!!

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I run a gui in 128 MB on debian with xfce4 and xrdp. Of course, if I need a browser, that will need 256 MB, but for simple radio apps it works with 128 MB.

I think ubuntu is heavier so for browsing with multiple tabs (4-5) you need 512 MB. For youtube and the like, you may need even more.
    2 GB is well enough, though, cpu load is not big, unless you use flash plugins, java, etc.

• thanks for the advice guys :D, much appreciate it