Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Low price server needed for internal dev testing. Need a handful of IPv4 addresses with it though
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Low price server needed for internal dev testing. Need a handful of IPv4 addresses with it though

apiuserapiuser Member

Hi all,

I'm currently using a bunch of DigitalOcean boxes for testing and development of software on multiple platforms. We basically have to work with remote api's in a "real world" type situation. So we've been creating instances of our api, testing it on different setups on DigitalOcean, etc.

The problem we're now facing is the limitations of this.

We're in need of being able to use two to three external IPv4 addresses, and eventually IPv6 as well on each OS. DigitalOcean doesn't support this.

Whilst we could just switch over to someone like Linode or Vultr, we're considering instead getting a low-cost / dirt cheap server that we can just stick something like VMWare ESXi on and use that for all our testing.

Spec wise we don't need anything fancy at all. A very box standard machine, say 4GB ram with a 500GB SATA drive would be fine as long as the hardware's capable of running 4-5 virtual machines.

There's no direct web traffic or anything like that going to these things, its purely for our development testing, so it's going to be very low traffic.

I've looked at a few places such as OVH/Kimsufi/SoYouStart, Online.net and Hetzner but was wondering if anyone knew of any others worth taking a look at.

If possible we'd like it to be in Europe, but being in the US wouldn't be an issue for us either.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated :) We're looking at a very low budget here as it's an unfunded project so it's all coming out of my pocket here. I appreciate that the IP's will likely be an issue with a lot of providers. Online.net for example wanted a fair bit extra just to even consider additional IP addresses.

Comments

• andreicandreic Member

Dacentec

• @dacentec is in North Carolina

@Mark Turner can get some good gear in Atlanta

Thanked by 1MarkTurner
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Have a look at our Dedicated Servers sale page https://www.clouvider.co.uk/dedicated-servers-sale.

We can work on the IP allocation with this offer, just PM me, or use contact form if you're interested and I'll do my best to accommodate you.

• This is a good option, you have a dedicated KVM which is especially good when your playing with kernels and they crash or fail to boot. 16GB RAM will allow you to virtualise more.

Dual X5150, 16GB RAM, 500GB disk, 1 IPv4, /64 IPv6, 5TB Gigabit, dedicated ILO/KVM - $20/month

http://www.delimiter.com/landingpage/servers2015/?p=X515016500

All of them include Interworx-10, Blesta, Virtualizor-3. You can reinstall the server from the provisioning panel, obviously no charge.

Prices based on quarterly, discounts are recurring.

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

Dedicated servers are awesome for testing. Simply create a new VM to test changes and if it works just route the IP to the new VM. :D

• tomletomle Member, LIR

DelimiterVPS are probably a good solution with extra IPs costing $1/month.

Dacentec includes a bunch of IPs and also have a $20 server but less RAM.

• jeromezajeromeza Member
    edited May 2015

+1 for Dacentec.

With Delimiter I didn't get my server after about a weeks wait and then ended up getting my account cancelled when I complained.

With Dacentec I got it in under 48 hours (and half of that being a Saturday). Network is good, price is good and you get more storage than the Delimiter boxes. They also respond to tickets promptly which is a bonus!

Just got a Dacentec 2x5240, 16GB RAM, 2x2TB box for $30. It comes with a /29 (so 5 usable IP's for VM's) and runs Proxmox perfectly. Solves my VM needs.

• laticlatic Member, Host Rep

Have a look at httpzoom.com, even if they dont have a product you might be able to get a custom quote.

• gtraxgtrax Member
    edited May 2015

@jeromeza hey can you share the link of dacentec box that you have got ? But I have to use it with ESXi

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited May 2015

MarkTurner said: All of them include Interworx-10, Blesta, Virtualizor-3. You can reinstall the server from the provisioning panel, obviously no charge.

@MarkTurner , is it only the Dual X5150 that includes this software? /hijack

• SpeedyKVMSpeedyKVM Banned, Member

Thanks for the mention. Yes Wable will allow you to spin up/down VPS (many within your resource bundle) and add/remove multiple IPs.

• @gtrax said:
    jeromeza hey can you share the link of dacentec box that you have got ? But I have to use it with ESXi

I haven't tested it with ESXI - going Proxmox for now, but here's a link.
    https://billing.dacentec.com/hostbill/index.php?/cart/dedicated-servers/

• @jeromeza said:

>

Just got a Dacentec 2x5240, 16GB RAM, 2x2TB box for $30. It comes with a /29 (so 5 usable IP's for VM's) and runs Proxmox perfectly. Solves my VM needs.

The /29 was bundled into $30/m or purchased as regular addon?
    I decided to wait until june.

• shafireshafire Member
    edited May 2015

If it's only for testing, connect with OpenVPN to the bridge and use the private IP space. For example 192.168.x.0/24

• tomletomle Member, LIR

You can install ESXi 5.1 directly from their provisioning system @ Dacentec and the /29 is included with justification. I run ESXi on the Opteron 1385 just fine.

• @vimalware said:
    The /29 was bundled into $30/m or purchased as regular addon?
    I decided to wait until june.

Included. You just need to select it at purchase and provide justification. If you don't then you get a /30.