Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IPV6 with ovh proxmox KVM
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

IPV6 with ovh proxmox KVM

alsemanyalsemany Member

Hello, I have some issues with the configuration I followed the instructions here
http://docs.ovh.ca/en/guides-network-ipv6.html
however I still can't reach to the network ipv6

root@alsemany:~# ping6 -c 4 2001:4860:4860::8888
 connect: Network is unreachable

this is my configuration

iface eth0 inet6 static
address 2001:41d0:2:3975::9
netmask 64

post-up /sbin/ip -f inet6 route add 2001:41d0:2:39ff:ff:ff:ff:ff dev eth0
post-up /sbin/ip -f inet6 route add default gw 2001:41d0:2:39ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
pre-down /sbin/ip -f inet6 route del 2001:41d0:2:39ff:ff:ff:ff:ff dev eth0
pre-down /sbin/ip -f inet6 route del default gw 2001:41d0:2:39ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

also I configured the /etc/sysctl.conf and rebooted the server to be sure that every thing will effected.

net.ipv6.conf.eth0.autoconf=0
net.ipv6.conf.eth0.accept_ra=0

is there anything wrong here ?
thank you

Comments

• up !!

• ZappieZappie Member, Host Rep, LIR

Its a bug with the default Proxmox kernal shipping out from OVH installer.

you need to do, apt-get update; apt-get dist-upgrade, reboot.

more info about the bug:

https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/21218-SOLVED-Proxmox-VE-IPv6-Problems

Thanked by 1alsemany
  • thank you so much for your help

I updated the kernel and rebooted
    the problem now resolved for the node however the VMs is still didn't work with ipv6, is there any bridge from the server to the vm should be made to resolve this

• it's worked for all VMs and Node now
    thank you for your help

In theory you should be able able to add the IPv6 address as you would normally. (using the WEB UI or cli)

Glad it was helpful, dont worry I was banging my head against the wall for days also before figuring our the solution.

• gacottgacott Member

Hey guys, please excuse my ignorance, I hope you can help. I am using only Openvz containers on this server, no KVM.

I have an OVH server with Promox installed. I do already have a couple of IPV4 containers on it, is this a deal breaker? Does it need to be either all IPV4 or 6?

Okay, assuming I am moving forward either way, my proxmox is the latest version and has had a dist update applied. I of course have the main ip address with it IPV6 allocation, is that allocation available for containers?

I also of course have some failover IP addresses on that machine, must I somehow get IPV6 associated with a failover or a failover block? Sorry, I am so ignorant about ipv6.

Also, we use cloudflare for all of our DNS and they support ipv6 and also have a gateway it looks like, should be no problem using them right?

Feeling quite a bit lost here,

Thanks

edited May 2015

@gacott said:
    I have an OVH server with Promox installed. I do already have a couple of IPV4 containers on it, is this a deal breaker? Does it need to be either all IPV4 or 6?

You can have both. Should be no issue. Just add an additional IPv6 address via the Web UI like you would for a normal IPv4 address, might need to restart the container after.

Okay, assuming I am moving forward either way, my proxmox is the latest version and has had a dist update applied. I of course have the main ip address with it IPV6 allocation, is that allocation available for containers?

Yes, with OVH you are give a /64 per server by default and you can use any of the IPv6 address within that /64 for your OpenVZ containers. (Note, to fix the above bug, you need to also reboot the proxmox machine after your do a dist-upgrade)

I also of course have some failover IP addresses on that machine, must I somehow get IPV6 associated with a failover or a failover block? Sorry, I am so ignorant about ipv6.

You dont need to do anything specificial with IPv6, each dedicated server (in your case the proxmox machine) as given a full /64, where you can use any address within that subnmet

Also, we use cloudflare for all of our DNS and they support ipv6 and also have a gateway it looks like, should be no problem using them right?

Not sure if this is relevant, with CloudFlare you will need to add a AAAA DNS record is all.

• gacottgacott Member

Zappie said: Not sure if this is relevant, with CloudFlare you will need to add a AAAA DNS record is all.

Perfectly relevant, I saw that there but thanks very much. I truly appreciate the help and instructions.

So, I do need to make the changes listed here then right? http://docs.ovh.ca/en/guides-network-ipv6.html .

Thanks, again, VERY much appreciated.

@gacott said:
    So, I do need to make the changes listed here then right? http://docs.ovh.ca/en/guides-network-ipv6.html .

In Theory most of that stuff is taken care of by the OVH installer (assuming you picked the ProxMox image template) in terms of things you need to do to the host node is simply dist-upgrade, and reboot.

Follow by allocation of the IPv6 address (from within your /64 range) to your OpenVZ containers.

• gacottgacott Member

Zappie said: In Theory most of that stuff is taken care of by the OVH installer (assuming you picked the ProxMox image template) in terms of things you need to do to the host node is simply dist-upgrade, and reboot.

Follow by allocation of the IPv6 address (from within your /64 range) to your OpenVZ containers.

Well, I made sure I dist-upgraded, rebooted, created a container (debian) and assigned an IPV6 address to it. It does ping to local host but won't ping out to google.

• alsemanyalsemany Member
    edited May 2015

I got also some trouble before it going to be run, some issues because that I should reboot the node.
    I run also on OpenVZ by delete all the net work and create a new veth card with the failover ip mac address and make the name of the device eth0.

please be sure that you made the configuration like that, this is my IPV6 block change to your block.

auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet static
    address Fail.Over.IP
    netmask 255.255.255.255

post-up route add Dedicated.IP.254 dev eth0
        post-up route add default gw Dedicated.IP.254
        post-down route del Dedicated.IP.254 dev eth0
        post-down route del default gw Dedicated.IP.254

iface eth0 inet6 static
        address 2001:41D0:2:3975::123
        netmask 64
        post-up /sbin/ip -f inet6 route add 2001:41D0:2:39ff:ff:ff:ff:ff dev eth0
        post-up /sbin/ip -f inet6 route add default via 2001:41D0:2:39ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
        pre-down /sbin/ip -f inet6 route del default via 2001:41D0:2:39ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
        pre-down /sbin/ip -f inet6 route del 2001:41D0:2:39ff:ff:ff:ff:ff dev eth0

I'm sure this will work

or please send your configuration here

• gacottgacott Member

@alsemany said:
    I got also some trouble before it going to be run, some issues because that I should reboot the node.
    I run also on OpenVZ by delete all the net work and create a new veth card with the failover ip mac address and make the name of the device eth0.

please be sure that you made the configuration like that, this is my IPV6 block change to your block.

auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet static
    address Fail.Over.IP
    netmask 255.255.255.255

post-up route add Dedicated.IP.254 dev eth0
    post-up route add default gw Dedicated.IP.254
    post-down route del Dedicated.IP.254 dev eth0
    post-down route del default gw Dedicated.IP.254

iface eth0 inet6 static
    address 2001:41D0:2:3975::123
    netmask 64
    post-up /sbin/ip -f inet6 route add 2001:41D0:2:39ff:ff:ff:ff:ff dev eth0
    post-up /sbin/ip -f inet6 route add default via 2001:41D0:2:39ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    pre-down /sbin/ip -f inet6 route del default via 2001:41D0:2:39ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    pre-down /sbin/ip -f inet6 route del 2001:41D0:2:39ff:ff:ff:ff:ff dev eth0

I'm sure this will work

or please send your configuration here

This is what I am not understanding, you mention failover IP. This configuration your are talking about, is it for the server or for the container?

I did not use anything from a failover ip, I assigned an IPV6 from the main server IP as is set up in the control panel.

• gacott said: This is what I am not understanding, you mention failover IP. This configuration your are talking about, is it for the server or for the container?

I did not use anything from a failover ip, I assigned an IPV6 from the main server IP as is set up in the control panel.

this configuration is the standard configuration for the dedicated server and if you checked the file you will see that the device vmbr0 has the same configuration of eth0 and this configuration will be the default when you re-install your server.
    anyway
    for this configuration with VZ or KVM is the best.

• first create a mac address for your failover ip.
    • open proxmox vz container in the network tab, add a new veth device with the name eth0 and the mac address.
    • start your vz container and use console to change the configuration
    • edit the file /etc/network/interfaces (Debian) with the configuration
    • edit the file /etc/resolv.conf you can make it with just one line >> nameserver 8.8.8.8
    • service networking restart

then

ping google.com
     ping6 ipv6.google.com

• gacottgacott Member

alsemany said: first create a mac address for your failover ip.

Man, I'm sorry, I may just need to hire somebody to do this for me, I feel so stupid here. I don't understand where the failover comes into play. In the OVH control system I only see how you can have IPV6 addresses off of the main IP, not a failover.

So which failover would I use, how do I know what the IPV6 IP is from there?

I was hoping for a way that would allow me to assign an IPV6 address upon creation of a VM and then NOT have to go in an configure that VM more after that. is this not even possible?

Maybe I just need to give this up for now. I don't have a HUGE need for more addresses I just thought it would be great to be able to start using these.

Thanks so much for your patience.