Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wifi & security
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Wifi & security

deadbeefdeadbeef Member
edited May 2015 in Help

Third parties have access to my wifi. I'm using a stock cheap dsl modem/router from the ISP.

My questions:

• Can the wifi devices MitM the wired devices?

• Is there a way to make it impossible for the mobile devices to be in the same subnet as the wired devices? What should I look for in the modem's web interface?

• Can I sniff the wireless devices? (less important).

Comments

• ATHKATHK Member

Most routers will show attached devices, wireless or wired.

Some routers will let you block access too.

Or you could not be stupid and apply a secure password or change your current one..

Most speedstream routers default password has been cracked using a simple algorithm..

Thanked by 1netomx
  • IshaqIshaq Member

deadbeef said: Can the wifi devices MitM the wired devices?

I know one MITM method for WiFi, which is done by taking down the AP using a deauth flood (or similar) until the router goes offline. And then creating a fake access point with the same name and broadcasting it, this AP won't have security and once you connect and open your browser to visit any site you will go to a fake security/login page asking for your WiFi password because of a recent upgrade/patch to your router, you have to be stupid to input your WiFi password but if you do, the attacker can see it and will then use it.

But that is not really an attack on the wired devices. More of an attack on the entire AP.

deadbeef said: Is there a way to make it impossible for the mobile devices to be in the same subnet as the wired devices? What should I look for in the modem's web interface?

Internal subnet? Usually the numbering is done automatically and there is only one subnet (192.168.0.0/24 or 192.168.1.0/24 etc). If it's stock I'm pretty sure this is hardcoded but that depends on the make/model.

deadbeef said: Can I sniff the wireless devices? (less important).

Yes, tools such as airodump-ng can sniff connected devices and their MAC addresses (also possible for attackers to spoof their MAC as a MAC connected to your router).

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • IshaqIshaq Member

I would also check your router for a recent WPS flaw (if your router has WPS technology), whereby if the WPS PIN is guessed correctly (takes a few days depending on if your router does ratelimiting, etc) the WPA passphrase is given in plaintext to the attacker.

There is a also a more recent attack called pixiedust which also exploits WPS but this is a much faster method if your router's network chipset is vulnerable (Ralink is the easiest and takes a few seconds, there is also Realtek and some Broadcoms).

Read more: http://www.wifislax.com/wps-pixie-dust-attack/

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • @ATHK said:

Or you could not be stupid and apply a secure password or change your current one..

I gave the access, it's not a matter of hacked access. It's a matter of limited trust and knowing what the dangers are and how to protect.

• @Ishaq said:
    I know one MITM method for WiFi, which is done by taking down the AP using a deauth flood (or similar) until the router goes offline. And then creating a fake access point with the same name and broadcasting it, this AP won't have security and once you connect and open your browser to visit any site you will go to a fake security/login page asking for your WiFi password because of a recent upgrade/patch to your router, you have to be stupid to input your WiFi password but if you do, the attacker can see it and will then use it.

>

But that is not really an attack on the wired devices. More of an attack on the entire AP.

Thank you for the detailed post! If I understand correctly, only MitM/sniffing to other wireless devices is possible and a wireless device can't MitM/sniff the wired traffic. I am fine with that (I don't log in to anything from the mobile devices anyway).

• UmcookiesUmcookies Member
    edited May 2015

EDIT: Just realized I have utterly nothing useful to add to this post, don't mind me. Carry on

• IshaqIshaq Member

deadbeef said: I gave the access, it's not a matter of hacked access. It's a matter of limited trust and knowing what the dangers are and how to protect.

In that case, if you don't trust the person you're giving access to they shouldn't have access in the first place because anything they do online (bomb threats, pranks) will fall back on you.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • deadbeefdeadbeef Member
    edited May 2015

@Ishaq said:
    In that case, if you don't trust the person you're giving access to they shouldn't have access in the first place because anything they do online (bomb threats, pranks) will fall back on you.

There are levels of trust. I doubt an ISIS member is using my wifi ;)

• @deadbeef said:

• Can the wifi devices MitM the wired devices?

Yes, if they have the PSK of your (hopefully WPA2) encrypted wireless LAN. They can spoof ARP packets of your gateway and sniff the traffic.

• Is there a way to make it impossible for the mobile devices to be in the same subnet as the wired devices? What should I look for in the modem's web interface?

Your device must support 2 SSIDs, one for you and one for your friends. Both need to configure a different network with no route between them (or blocked with iptables).

• Can I sniff the wireless devices? (less important).

Yes, if you are "root" on your device, you can use tcpdump.

You can achieve this with OpenWRT. I use TP-Link TL-WR841N. It's really cheap.

If you don't trust your friends, you can force their traffic into a VPN tunnel or TOR.

Thanked by 2Maounique deadbeef
  • joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

For what it's worth, the AVM FRITZ!Box (did I do the capitalization right there?) lets you create two completely isolated access points, if I recall correctly - one for 'guests' and one for private users. I suspect there are more models from other vendors that can do this as well.

Thanked by 2deadbeef howardsl2
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

joepie91 said: I suspect there are more models from other vendors that can do this as well.

There are also many replacement firmwares for 20 dollar routers which can create separate APs with or without connection with the rest of the network, even VLANs.

I would, however, setup a separate AP to give access with carefully configured iptables on the main device to only allow access to the internet. Problem solved with 10 $ or even nothing at all, just look around for a discarded router.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
    edited May 2015

@agentsmith said:
    Yes, if they have the PSK of your (hopefully WPA2) encrypted wireless LAN. They can spoof ARP packets of your gateway and sniff the traffic.

Well, f*ck :( Is there a software I could have running 24/7 (e.g. on a wired Pi) to detect the ARP poisoning? If I detect it happening, I can kick everyone one without feeling bad about it.

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

Could use VPN. :)

• Is this helpful/relevant (to separate subnets)?

Currently, I checked the wired and wireless and are all on 192.168.1.x

• @deadbeef said:
    Well, f*ck :( Is there a software I could have running 24/7 (e.g. on a wired Pi) to detect the ARP poisoning? If I detect it happening, I can kick everyone one without feeling bad about it.

You can use Snort or Suricata to detect and write you an email. You can also install a device with two network interfaces and bridge them together and filter evil ARP packets with ebtables.
    But you want to buy a cheap TP-Link ;-) Don't trust provider's hardware...

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2015

I share my internet with my neighbors so I have 2 different subnets and firewall them off so neither can talk to each other and I run 2 different SSIDs (guest is limited to 20Mbps). One subnet is default via DHCP and the other is whitelist only. I prevent the use of static IPs with locking IPs to MAC addresses using ARP and any device not in the table gets no response from the router (DHCP server automatically adds the device to the table so no manual work needed).

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • @deadbeef said:
    Is this helpful/relevant (to separate subnets)?

Currently, I checked the wired and wireless and are all on 192.168.1.x

Might be possible to separate your LAN and wifi but I think you want to access your own LAN devices from your wifi client.
    Funny GUI that tells you have WLAN ports...

Thanked by 1deadbeef
    edited May 2015

@agentsmith said:
    I think you want to access your own LAN devices from your wifi client

I don't :) Tablet/mobile are for browsing the internet only, no local filesharing/remote desktops etc. What would my next step be?

• @deadbeef said:
    I don't :) Tablet/mobile are for browsing the internet only, no local filesharing/remote desktops etc. What would my next step be?

You could use static ARP entry of your gateway on all your LAN devices. What OSes do you use?

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • cociucociu Member

@deadbeef i really recomand to limit the device in numbers. For exemple if you know you use in the same time 2 device you can limit your ruter to permit only 2 connection in the same time,in this case if the 3 part cannot connect. next is see what you have for security in rooter menu.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • Use coca cane to block/weaken wifi signal on certain direction.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

stormeye said: Use coca cane to block/weaken wifi signal on certain direction.

That does not work as nobody can really predict reflections and what kind of antenna someone can use, besides, they have to get signal to connect to the internet.

• @Maounique said:

Test until you get a position that works well ;)

edited May 2015

@agentsmith said:
    You could use static ARP entry of your gateway on all your LAN devices. What OSes do you use?

That's great, if it is possible to set this up, it solves my worries! My wired machines are Win 8.1, OSX and a Pi (Raspbian). I've been looking at the router's web ui, but I don't see anything that mentions arp :|

Status update: I've set up "antidote" on the Pi to monitor for abnormal arp use and send the logs to papertrail
    Edit: Hits the CPU with 100%, stopped it.

• @stormeye said:
    Use coca cane to block/weaken wifi signal on certain direction.

Why? I don't want to be a dick and say "yes, here's the psk" and then slyly disable access while pretending I have no idea.

• creepcreep Member
    edited May 2015

get yourself a Staminus DDoS protection because if they cant break in they will just flood your wifi and you will have a slow internet and your router will explode.

• @creep said:
    get yourself a Staminus DDoS protection because if they cant break in they will just flood your wifi and you will have a slow internet and your router will explode.

Please read the thread properly...

Thanked by 1creep
    edited May 2015

Update: After I realized "antidote" was turning the Pi to an egg boiler, I am using this Windows script: https://github.com/alan-reed/ARP-Defense/blob/master/defendAPR.bat to monitor the gateway arp entry.

I will try to port this on Linux and use it on the Pi.(A python script already exists, duhhhh)

Does monitoring the gateway cover me, or do I need to monitor each wired device as well?

One thing (among many :D) I don't understand, is why this script works. Doesn't the attacker have the ability to spoof his own mac address to be the same as the gateway's?